Vita Hack: Webkit exploit finally exploits the vita!!!

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somebody over a Wololo finally released a webkit exploit for the vita that apparently works on any pre 3.30 firmware vita. Now as of right now this hack does absolutely nothing, but I'm sure in the next couple months we can finally start to see some vita homebrew and back-up loaders. This is great news for the Vita hacking scene. To test the exploit open this website on your vita web browser LINK.

Wololo said that as long as your Vita doesn't give you an error code you should be okay even if it just keeps reloading. So test it out for yourself and see what you get.

Original Source

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad I haven't gotten enough use out of my Vita to have it updated past 3.18. Really should get around to finishing Mind Zero, though.

Worth noting that this exploit is generally only the first step towards any end-user-friendly hacking: while developers might be able to go further with it, right now it seems to be entirely proof of concept; I don't think at this point there's much that can actually be done with this exploit.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
It reloads on 3.18 without giving an error code, whereas those who have tested on 3.30 have gotten an error code. Too low of a firmware, say, 1.18, won't work either, as reported by somebody in the comments on the Wololo article. The method by which this exploit came to be likely didn't exist until 2.60. That means that, as reported, if you're below 2.60, you're probably going to have a bad time, and if you updated to 3.30, you're out of luck.

Otherwise, this is only the first level of exploiting. Unless they can find another exploit on a deeper level, nothing will come of this. This does open the possibility for reaching that next level though, which is pretty interesting. It will likely be at least a year before we see anything concrete if this does lead to any major exploitation, if anything comes about at all. That means that if you value your Vita as a gaming device right now, odds are you're better off updating. If you're like me and haven't been gaming as much lately so you can set aside your Vita for a little while, it's probably worth hanging around on 3.18 or below to see what may come of this exploit.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Damn I really hate keeping my vita on specific firmwares. Never lasts long because I love me some digital purchases. Luckily Smash Bros has kept my 3DS from being the paperweight it usually is so my vita has stayed on 3.18 thusfar. I can wait a bit to see if this goes anywhere I guess.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It reloads on 3.18 without giving an error code, whereas those who have tested on 3.30 have gotten an error code. Too low of a firmware, say, 1.18, won't work either, as reported by somebody in the comments on the Wololo article. The method by which this exploit came to be likely didn't exist until 2.60. That means that, as reported, if you're below 2.60, you're probably going to have a bad time, and if you updated to 3.30, you're out of luck.

Otherwise, this is only the first level of exploiting. Unless they can find another exploit on a deeper level, nothing will come of this. This does open the possibility for reaching that next level though, which is pretty interesting. It will likely be at least a year before we see anything concrete if this does lead to any major exploitation, if anything comes about at all. That means that if you value your Vita as a gaming device right now, odds are you're better off updating. If you're like me and haven't been gaming as much lately so you can set aside your Vita for a little while, it's probably worth hanging around on 3.18 or below to see what may come of this exploit.
well not to burst bubbles but in psp era an exploit in 3 months grew to loaders and homebrew i will say if it does work we will start to see soon results . i am glad that my ps vita stayed on low 3 version for the kext of psp :)

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just gonna parrot what others have said and say "Neat, but we won't get anything out of it for a while, if at all."

I'd be rather happy if they made a ROM/ISO loader. I've only ever played 4 games on my Vita. One was P4G, a remake of a game I loved, so no problems there. Another was Danganronpa 2, a sequel to a game I rather enjoyed, so no problems there either. But the other two games, Demon Gaze and Akiba's Trip, left me rather disappointed. Akiba's Trip made me laugh, but it was way too short and the combat got stale quickly, same goes for Demon Gaze. There's definitely Vita games I wanna try out, but they usually end up with rather mixed reviews, like MIND≒0.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well not to burst bubbles but in psp era an exploit in 3 months grew to loaders and homebrew i will say if it does work we will start to see soon results . i am glad that my ps vita stayed on low 3 version for the kext of psp :)
Those were other times. Hackers were interested in devices like the PSP as there wasn't a cheap alternative for powerful portable emulators.

Now there are, loads of - mainly Android devices. Most hackers aren't pirates and homebrew (emulators) on a device like the Vita doesn't entice them anymore as you can just use a pre-existing tablet/smartphone which comes with an open OS and free SDK.

The Vita doesn't even have an homebrew SDK! Don't expect any homebrew at all for at least a few months. ...If ever.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad I haven't gotten enough use out of my Vita to have it updated past 3.18. Really should get around to finishing Mind Zero, though.

Worth noting that this exploit is generally only the first step towards any end-user-friendly hacking: while developers might be able to go further with it, right now it seems to be entirely proof of concept; I don't think at this point there's much that can actually be done with this exploit.

Wouldn't it be awesome if this exploit resulted in the release of a launcher that allowed us to use a Vita flash cart on the system

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Those were other times. Hackers were interested in devices like the PSP as there wasn't a cheap alternative for powerful portable emulators.

Now there are, loads of - mainly Android devices. Most hackers aren't pirates and homebrew (emulators) on a device like the Vita doesn't entice them anymore as you can just use a pre-existing tablet/smartphone which comes with an open OS and free SDK.

The Vita doesn't even have an homebrew SDK! Don't expect any homebrew at all for at least a few months. ...If ever.
then we are gonna see only pirate launchers, if i remember correctly yifu did tried to create a dev sdk platform for apps on psp emu on vita ,i believe we will see emus etc cause android in the end of the day without the controllers can only be used for cheap short time gaming ,as a gamer i prefer a physical controller as of ps vita. even 3ds started with no ecosystem and now has emus roms etc ,sky is the limit

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
then we are gonna see only pirate launchers, if i remember correctly yifu did tried to create a dev sdk platform for apps on psp emu on vita ,i believe we will see emus etc cause android in the end of the day without the controllers can only be used for cheap short time gaming ,as a gamer i prefer a physical controller as of ps vita. even 3ds started with no ecosystem and now has emus roms etc ,sky is the limit
PSP emu on Vita = Re-using existing PSP SDK. Not much work in it.

Errr, Android without controllers? There are quite a bit around of every form and functionality you might ever wish. Emulating on Android is a really pleasant experience with many accurate emulators available for it.

The 3DS Homebrew scene is still in its infancy. And the first exploit/flashcard came out something like 12 months ago?

Let's be frank, if the 3DS hasn't got much of an homebrew scene (and the 3DS outsells the Vita 10:1), the chances for the Vita to have one are pretty much non-existant.

Reactions: Sterling

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
PSP emu on Vita = Re-using existing PSP SDK. Not much work in it.

Errr, Android without controllers? There are quite a bit around of every form and functionality you might ever wish. Emulating on Android is a really pleasant experience with many accurate emulators available for it.

The 3DS Homebrew scene is still in its infancy. And the first exploit/flashcard came out something like 12 months ago?

Let's be frank, if the 3DS hasn't got much of an homebrew scene (and the 3DS outsells the Vita 10:1), the chances for the Vita to have one are pretty much non-existant.
then it is only piracy we will see ... heh in the end of day it all comes to it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Si :D +1