Homebrew Visual Boy Advance GX 2.3.7 Beta - Feedback requested!

Tantric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's a VBA GX beta. Please post your feedback regarding anything that's worse in this beta than the previous 2.3.6 release. Feedback is appreciated.

Changes:

* Allow loader to pass two arguments instead of three (libertyernie)
* don't reset settings when going back to an older version
* Fix a few potential crashes caused by the GUI
* Compiled with latest libOGC/devkitPPC

Attachments

• vbagx-beta.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 347

Tantric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's nothing new really, this is just a rollup. So I'm just wondering if it's as good as the last release and if I can release it. If things used to work and don't anymore, then I don't want to release it.

marmalade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay here is everything I found with VBAGX:

VBAGX crashes when a directory in Settings "Saving & Loading" such as Screenshots is sought to change and OK or Cancel is pressed

When VBAGX boots up there is a delay and displays a black screen with small white dots which is unlike FCEUGX andSNESGX

When searching game files the box that contains the game names is extended to the right beyond where the image preview is, also the image preview is a bit far to the right so a border revealing the background isnt on that end compared to left side

"Emulation" button in Settings cannot be accessed with wiimote via the "2" button like other sub-menus

cebolleto

Trophies
XP
Country

So glad you are back Tantric.
It seems that since I added the screenshot feature I also introduced a bug in the GUI that was causing the app to randomly crash after a few minutes selecting roms... I spent a lot of hours trying to fix it but never found what was happening. With this new releases of you I no longer have this issue in any of the emulators so I guess you fixed it!

Do you know what it was? I am just curious

Tantric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So glad you are back Tantric.
It seems that since I added the screenshot feature I also introduced a bug in the GUI that was causing the app to randomly crash after a few minutes selecting roms... I spent a lot of hours trying to fix it but never found what was happening. With this new releases of you I no longer have this issue in any of the emulators so I guess you fixed it!

Do you know what it was? I am just curious

I remember having to fix that. But I don't remember what the fix was, sorry :(

Reactions: cebolleto

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Tantric, awesome to see your new VBAGX update, i have tested several games. I have some questions; it feels like Adventure Island (GB) has a bit of slowdown when attacking, i don't know if this is a normal game thing or an emulator thing. Also, i have some problems to turn classic gameboy colors in mono (the option in the menu is not making it black/white, like this https://www.retrogames.cz/games/145/GB_01.gif), is it possible? And are you planning templates? Question about the GBA functions in the emulator, what is the core status? Is the GBA functionality and compatability the same as mGBA? Thanks again for you hard work!

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its good to see you back working on the GX Emulators :) Do your new versions have Fix94's WiiU Gamepad patches? So us WiiU owners can take advantage of your Emulators?

Tantric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The changes are very minimal and are listed above:

That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll look at issues like those reported by marmalade above but I have no plans to upgrade the core, add new features, or anything like that. If someone else does something and then submits a pull request, that's a different story.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
O? I didn't realise it was already added.. Sweet!

EDIT: lol WiiU Gamepad.. NOT WiiU Controller :/
WiiU Gamepad doesn't work with your builds.

Last edited by ploggy,

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
The changes are very minimal and are listed above:

That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll look at issues like those reported by marmalade above but I have no plans to upgrade the core, add new features, or anything like that. If someone else does something and then submits a pull request, that's a different story.

Totally understandable Tantric, but to refer to my previous comment about the slowdown with Adventure Island, tested the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Fall of the Foot Clan (GB) game also, had the same kind of slowdown there at the sewer part, the second part of the first stage. I think i did not had that with the previous version, but i will do some more testing.

Tantric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay here is everything I found with VBAGX:

VBAGX crashes when a directory in Settings "Saving & Loading" such as Screenshots is sought to change and OK or Cancel is pressed

When VBAGX boots up there is a delay and displays a black screen with small white dots which is unlike FCEUGX andSNESGX

When searching game files the box that contains the game names is extended to the right beyond where the image preview is, also the image preview is a bit far to the right so a border revealing the background isnt on that end compared to left side

"Emulation" button in Settings cannot be accessed with wiimote via the "2" button like other sub-menus

This is great feedback, I've fixed all of this except I'm not sure about the black screen with white dots issue. Are you playing on a Wii or Wii U?

Reactions: cebolleto

marmalade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great feedback, I've fixed all of this except I'm not sure about the black screen with white dots issue. Are you playing on a Wii or Wii U?

Thanks for fixing and Im using the original Wii, when VBAGX is launched the screen is completely black but for a few seconds before the emulator appears there are small pixel white dots spread out and even some very faint dark red and blue marks on a black backdrop which doesnt happen with FCEUGX and SNESGX for me

Also I gave some feedback on FCEUGX which is small tweaks that would make it more consistent with SNESGX and VBAGX, primarily in FCEUGX in Settings the "Go Back" button is highlighted by default whereas in other menus and VBAGX and SNESGX Settings the first sub-folder is highlighted, and Covers and Artworks arent in FCEUGX compared to the others

Tantric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for fixing and Im using the original Wii, when VBAGX is launched the screen is completely black but for a few seconds before the emulator appears there are small pixel white dots spread out and even some very faint dark red and blue marks on a black backdrop which doesnt happen with FCEUGX and SNESGX for me

Also I gave some feedback on FCEUGX which is small tweaks that would make it more consistent with SNESGX and VBAGX, primarily in FCEUGX in Settings the "Go Back" button is highlighted by default whereas in other menus and VBAGX and SNESGX Settings the first sub-folder is highlighted, and Covers and Artworks arent in FCEUGX compared to the others

Okay, I've also fixed the dots issue. In addition to fixing all the issues you pointed out, this version also:
- speeds up returning to the menu from the game
- fixes the border color around the cover art
- prevents crashes from trying to load files that are too big (eg: auto-loading a UPS file > 512kb would crash the emu)
- increases max file size for the above to 2MB

I've also fixed the Go Back thing for FCEUGX but I won't be putting out a beta/release just for that.

Attachments

• vbagx-beta2.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 298

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I guess @FIX94 could do a Pull request if he wants.?
He did post his source changes when he posted each compiled build to the thread though. :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JFlnWvSW-wVMOZc9Zi528ka3mNdl00SZ (fceugc)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1O-zuEG2cXruKVgmfSgdL1qgPAIJ3BqkW (snes9xgx)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zjBElv95CmoM_4mJr-vNjxR9IkFAKd74 (vbagx)
I *may* do the PR, I still need to figure out how libwudrc works, I don't promise anything, but if someone beats me on the race, it's OK for me :)

Enviado desde mi LG-X240 mediante Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.