Gaming Virtual Ram / ReadyBoost do you use it?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its like the title says.

Obviously VRAM/ReadyBoost is no substitute for the RAM on your system board but is anyone here using it? Do you see any improvement in your games or is it all for nothing?

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Untitled.png

I don't seen any point in my case.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Readyboost itself, I think I've tried it once in the Vista days (to test a 4GB flash drive that had fallen less than a year before into a price I'd have accepted)

I remembered about it some months ago, tried enabling it again for the kicks, but windows 7 refuses to because it knows my SSD is faster than anything USB2 :)

And it makes sense - the whole idea behind readyboost was adding disk cache to consumer mechanical drives (which back then were also made in some 3k-RPM speed along with the still used 5400 and 7200), Intel went as far as making miniPCIexpress nand chips (Robson) to be dedicated to this use!

My favorite PC games were written over 10 years ago and certainly don't need anywhere close to 4 GB :)

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i've used it on a win7 netbook that comes with just 1gb of ram that cant be upgraded in any other way.

might be half placebo, but it seems its less of a hassle having a browser and libreoffice open at the same time.

i wouldn't expect it to do much on any systems that have 2 or more gb of ram though

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc