Hacking Virtual Console Wads won't start

Bob73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi
I've re-modded my Aus region Wii (originally done back in 2012). I did a system memory format and then followed the wii.guide all the way.

I'm on system version 4.1E

Nearly everything works perfectly - Wii Games, Gamecube, Wiiware all Ok.

My problem is that I can't get any Virtual Console games to work, either on the system nand or on the USB Loader GX emulated nand. The wad installs fine and the channel displays, but when I try to start the game I get a black screen and non-responsive Wii remote and I have to hard reset to get back to the system menu.

I've been reading up on this and can't see what I'm doing wrong. One theory is that because I'm using a Wii2HDMI adapter that the games cant display. Another lead is that I need to somehow patch IOS 80 (but I'm not sure if that is relevant because I'm on 4.1 and IOS 80 is for 4.3.

Sys check below

Hopefully someone can solve this because I've been obsessing over this for 3 days.

Thanks

Attachments

• sysCheck.txt
    3 KB · Views: 83

Bob73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You already have a patched system menu IOS, but that's only sometimes needed to play content moved to the wii's sd card menu.

It could be the video mode, or a bad wad.

Are the games for a different region? Have u enabled region free priiloader hacks?

Hi, the games are Europe, and the Wii is PAL. I have enabled region free channels on Priiloader. So I think it must be the Video mode or a bad wad as you say.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Select a VC game in USB Loader GX, go into it's settings and set the video mode to force NTSC 480p.
Thanks for that. I have a PAL Wii so I forced PAL 480p and that worked for one of the wads, but not the other.

On the other one I was able to get a response from the Home button (gave me the option of returning to the Wii menu) but no game. But then it crashed again.

Anyway, looks like the Video mode is the answer. I will keep experimenting. Thank you

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by blackb0x,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Some of them won't work no matter what you do, especially while you're using HDMI as your TV most likely can't handle 240p over HDMI.

I'd recommend checking out some of the emulators, which will give you more options than any USB loader will for a VC game.

https://github.com/dborth/fceugx/
https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/
https://bitbucket.org/eke/genesis-plus-gx/src/master/builds/
@Bob73 Or if you want to have a single game launcher for your favorite game in your favorite emulator, you can try also these Single ROM Loaders of some Wii homebrew emulators, all of them made by me: https://gbatemp.net/threads/my-coll...-for-some-best-wii-homebrew-emulators.591509/

Greetings to all :D

Reactions: Bob73

Deleted member 547976

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And I will ask if you have changed the console region? eg from Pal to NTSC? because it is possible that this is a problem, I changed the console region at the beginning, it was virtual games or there was a black screen or it was written that this game is not for this region, "something like that"
use the wii mod lite and there is a manager option and change the region, the console works for me 100% all VC games start ok
Hope this helps you and others with a similar problem :)

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Careful with Wii Mod Lite, it has a bug that is triggered after installing wads, returning the app's main menu, and hitting B (back) one additional time. It could be triggered by other things, I'm not sure. If you're in the middle of a region change, this could result in brick. I suggest ModMii's Region Change Wizard, which uses other tools instead of WML to accomplish the same thing in a safer way. Unfortunately though, this Wizard doesn't support wii motion + remotes, however a workaround using WML is described should you fall into this camp.

Deleted member 547976

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Careful with Wii Mod Lite, it has a bug that is triggered after installing wads, returning the app's main menu, and hitting B (back) one additional time. It could be triggered by other things, I'm not sure. If you're in the middle of a region change, this could result in brick. I suggest ModMii's Region Change Wizard, which uses other tools instead of WML to accomplish the same thing in a safer way. Unfortunately though, this Wizard doesn't support wii motion + remotes, however a workaround using WML is described should you fall into this camp.
Yes, I know, because if someone is not sure, let it go, because it is a pity to "damage" your WII, unless someone does not care about the console and the desire to have VC is so strong that he will risk
And I would like to ask if there will be a newer, more recent version of Modmii than 6.6.3?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Will there be? Eventually yes, I am maintaining a to do list of items as they arise, it's mostly filled with fine tuning items or additional features that don't really matter too much especially for core functions, so the current version is perfectly fine to use in its current state

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.