Hacking Virtual Console Wads won't start

Bob73

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi
I've re-modded my Aus region Wii (originally done back in 2012). I did a system memory format and then followed the wii.guide all the way.

I'm on system version 4.1E

Nearly everything works perfectly - Wii Games, Gamecube, Wiiware all Ok.

My problem is that I can't get any Virtual Console games to work, either on the system nand or on the USB Loader GX emulated nand. The wad installs fine and the channel displays, but when I try to start the game I get a black screen and non-responsive Wii remote and I have to hard reset to get back to the system menu.

I've been reading up on this and can't see what I'm doing wrong. One theory is that because I'm using a Wii2HDMI adapter that the games cant display. Another lead is that I need to somehow patch IOS 80 (but I'm not sure if that is relevant because I'm on 4.1 and IOS 80 is for 4.3.

Sys check below

Hopefully someone can solve this because I've been obsessing over this for 3 days.

Thanks

Attachments

• sysCheck.txt
    3 KB · Views: 11

Bob73

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You already have a patched system menu IOS, but that's only sometimes needed to play content moved to the wii's sd card menu.

It could be the video mode, or a bad wad.

Are the games for a different region? Have u enabled region free priiloader hacks?

Hi, the games are Europe, and the Wii is PAL. I have enabled region free channels on Priiloader. So I think it must be the Video mode or a bad wad as you say.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Select a VC game in USB Loader GX, go into it's settings and set the video mode to force NTSC 480p.
Thanks for that. I have a PAL Wii so I forced PAL 480p and that worked for one of the wads, but not the other.

On the other one I was able to get a response from the Home button (gave me the option of returning to the Wii menu) but no game. But then it crashed again.

Anyway, looks like the Video mode is the answer. I will keep experimenting. Thank you

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by blackb0x,

SaulFabre

Wii scene/hacking & Wii VC well-known guy
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Some of them won't work no matter what you do, especially while you're using HDMI as your TV most likely can't handle 240p over HDMI.

I'd recommend checking out some of the emulators, which will give you more options than any USB loader will for a VC game.

https://github.com/dborth/fceugx/
https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/
https://bitbucket.org/eke/genesis-plus-gx/src/master/builds/
@Bob73 Or if you want to have a single game launcher for your favorite game in your favorite emulator, you can try also these Single ROM Loaders of some Wii homebrew emulators, all of them made by me: https://gbatemp.net/threads/my-coll...-for-some-best-wii-homebrew-emulators.591509/

Greetings to all :D

Reactions: Bob73
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Lol AHS is getting funny two dudes and two girls get pregnant
    Gift
  • Toastee_ @ Toastee_:
    Whats AHS?
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    What are you supposed to do when you have a thousand dollar piece of hardware that won't work because the API the manufacturer provided doesn't want to work?
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Ebay
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Oh great.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    It's a Linux bug.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Well a bug with their Linux drivers or something.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    It captures 2x the amount of packets on Windows 10 in a freaking VM where USB access is slower/more latent.
    Gift
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    what is this piece of hardware @gudenau
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Beagle 480
    Gift
  • T-hug @ T-hug:
    Dune 2021 1080p HDRip X264 AC3-EVO
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Dune? Reminds me of seeing my ex naked
    Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    Oh yeah Dune movie is out, watching it later
    Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    Here is hoping 2022 is a good year for DC cinematic universe
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Honestly don't really know what Dune is.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Anyone here know much about Jetbrains InteliJ Idea?
    Gift
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Oh, T-hug was here :blink:
    Gift
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Hey, where the admins at? Come in the chat. I got a idea. How bout a Sound notification or something when someone tags you in chat? :ninja:
    Gift
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Post it in the v8 feedback thread
    Gift
  • Gift
  • OzKenny1983 @ OzKenny1983:
    Post what sorry? I'm guessing we were talking about this ages ago, but I haven't been on GBATemp in almost a year so my memory is failing me :-/
    Gift
    feedback and or bugs that may have popped up since the migration to XenForo 2!
    Gift
    Umm...I think you might have the wrong person, since that may as well have been written in Chinese. I have nothing to do with the management of this site, nor have I ever been involved. I'm just a member, and hardly even qualify as that...like I said my last post was almost a year ago lol
    Gift
    Lol no, Sonic Angel Knight had an idea, best would be to post it in that thread haha
    Gift
    Sorry, don't know Sonic Angel Knight either...
    Gift
    OzKenny1983 @ OzKenny1983: Sorry, don't know Sonic Angel Knight either...