Virtual Console vs Homebrew Emulators

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by SG, Jun 12, 2009.

Jun 12, 2009
  1. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Now that space isn't an issue on the Wii, what are peoples opinion on WADs vs emulation on easy-to-emulate things like SNES games?

WADs have a nice dedicated channel and a (shit) e-manual, but it does feel more polished.

However, am I right in saying that there are less framerate issues? For example DKC3 lagged quite a bit in certain places.

Cheers!

2. WizardOfOdd

Newcomer WizardOfOdd Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I prefer to emulate.

You can have as many games as you like on one menu, doesn't take up loads of space on the System Menu with loads of different channels, you can save snapshots to return to the game later (I know some WADs save states, but emulators still do it better), and you can apply filters to the graphics to make them look better on HD TVs.

WADs are shit, to be honest. Only thing I bother with WADs for is N64, because the emulation isn't quite up to scratch yet.

3. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    Both have pros and cons, is up to you choice between them.

WAD
    Pros: Perfect emulation, no framerate issues, no sound hicups, the visual presentation, e-manual, staff credits.

Cons:
    -You need install them opposed to have alot roms in a folder to pick and play.
    -The channel menu would be a mess if you have too much games.
    -It requires wadmanager or anytittle deleter to erase a wad completely.
    -Not every game is supported (specially N64) even injected ones.
    -No special filters (it´s personal preference, in my case I like to play my games with it´s original settings).

Recommended to: NeoGeo games (perfect emulation), N64, C64 nice keyboard interface

4. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Forgot to mention that once the Wiisx team gets back to work on it (the are currently working on Wii64) it will be the only way to play PS1 games on the wii.

5. Melly

Newcomer Melly Member

Canada
    I prefer emulation for similar reasons to Original's. I don't like to clutter my Wii menu up with too many channels and the emulators are convenient enough for me.

6. personager

Member personager GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Ya, but once you patch IOS60 and get a decent sized SD/SDHC card, space and cluttering up the Wii menu won't be a problem

7. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    I really only use real wads (no injects). They just feel more authentic. But I don't really have any need for emulation. But if I did want to and my choice was between injects and emulation; I would go emulator.

8. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I emulate NES, SNES, and Genesis only atm. I do use WADs (official only, no injects) for games I'd play alot. Also have all official Neo Geo and N64 WADs installed for reasons stated already.

I play alot of Genesis emulation....now if they were to come out with a Gamecube port Genesis controller adapter (to go with the NES and SNES already available) we'd be set [​IMG]

9. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    No, instead you only have a severely cluttered SD card menu. Alphabetical text list is always going to be cleaner when looking for an individual game... especially if you literally have hundreds to go through.

10. hartleyshc

Member hartleyshc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    on my system:
    nes, snes, gba/gb/gbc is emulated.
    wiiware, and all vcs are played from the sd. I separate the vc's by system.

11. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    How did you organize/separate them? Or is it done automatically in the SD channel?

12. hartleyshc

Member hartleyshc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just manually move them per page.
    First 2 pages is the Wiiware, then n64, then tg16, then neogeo, then master system, then genesis, then arcade.
    Keep filling pages with one system till you run out, leave the rest blank and move the next page. Also I sort them alphabetically by system. It took a while but I just worked on sorting a few games at a time.

13. r9delta

Banned r9delta Banned

United States
    I only use WADs if I have to...meaning if the emulation of that particular system isn't up to near perfection. Everything else emulation (at least not in the way of VC)....especially since Snes9x, FCEU, and VBA had a GUI re-haul so they don't look like shit anymore.

So N64 and Neo Geo it goes without saying that i'll use WADs for them.

14. IOwnAndPwnU

Canada
    That's not worth the effort.
    Especially if you don't have a Classic Controller.

And are there even many good WiiWare games out there?

15. angelson1992

Newcomer angelson1992 Newbie

United States
    I say that there are plenty of good wads out there that are worth getting and some v.c. games that are downright addictive. Simply put, for earlier systems, emulation is more convenient and for the newer systems, wads are the best way for now. If you love emulation that much, be patient and there will be a Wii64 or WiiSX that meets your standards. [​IMG]

16. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Hope you don't mind, I changed "Wads vs emulation" in the title to "Virtual Console vs Homebrew Emulators" because I think it makes much better sense.

17. IOwnAndPwnU

Canada
    Cool.
    Although, there is another thread almost just like this...

18. ju421019

Newcomer ju421019 Advanced Member

United States
  19. Drag0nflamez

Member Drag0nflamez GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Depends on your wad manager.

20. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Some homebrew emulators are better as you can change things around, not being able to change buttons on the VC C64 games is bad, jumping with a d-pad doesn't work as well as a joystick so it would be nice to map that to another button on the Wiimote.

Also some games look and sound better with homebrew emulators than the official VC releases (again the C64 ones). This is why a lot of people don't pay for VC, Nintendo put so little care into those releases. Whoever says that the emulation is perfect on the VC games haven't seen the original games in action on a real machine.

Of course with Arcade, Neo Geo, N64 & sometimes SNES, VC is better. I guess it best to just go with both to see what suits your own needs.

Also don't Nintendo use some of the homebrew emulators? I think they use Frodo or something for the C64 ones.