Gaming Virtual Boy Collection for 3DS, should it happen.

Should Nintendo come out with a Virtual Boy collection for 3DS?

• Total voters

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya know, Janthran is on to something there... It may just sell better as a Club Nintendo award then a actual game. I mean look at how many points it is to buy. G&W on DS right now. They cant say they wouldn't make cash since you have to buy the product in order to get the VB collection.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
OP
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
The VB emulator for the Wii works really well (with oldschool red/blue glasses), I have no doubt that Nintendo could easily make one for the 3DS. Resoloution isn't much of a problem - the VB is 384x224 and the 3DS is effectively 400x240 per eye.
Some day Neimod might figure out how to really hack the 3DS. At least then someone might be able to port a VB emulator to it. People eventually get Nintendo hardware to do what they want even if Nintendo refuses to do it themselves. (It may take a long time but I'm sure it will happen SOME day.).

inb4everything

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they ever plan to re-release VB games, it's going to be seperately, in full color, and with no sign of the Virtual Boy name on it. Nintendo's made it pretty clear they like to ignore that part of their past.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does everyone on these forums seem to want VB VC and Wario Land? VB didn't even have but a few good games. Not even a Zelda title. Cmon guys. CHILL.
Its the best Wario Land game there is. It has yet to have been bettered. In fact its one of the finest platformers ever made, those who have played it NOT on emulation can tell you that. Even with the pain that you get from playing on a VB its still a very special game.

Had you even played it, which I doubt you have seeing that you have to ask such a stupid question, you would know.

As for a collection. Nope, there are probably 3 decent games...on Wario VB Land is really worth it. Let them come to Virtual Console or remade but a collection isn't really needed.

Fact of the matter is that this system was released as a unfinished product. Gunpei Yokoi (who came up with this, Metroid, Game & Watch and the Gameboy) did not want this released as it was, he felt that this was a prototype idea at best but Nintendo did not want to continue R&D on it and wanted to push the N64 further. A bit of a mistake for Nintendo, this could have been something special but Nintendo killed it by releasing something that is flawed and fucking hurts to play.

also, the vb games sucked. even the wario one wasnt very good.
Have you even played any games on a actual VB? You're a stupid person to comment if you haven't.

Reactions: 2 people

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does everyone on these forums seem to want VB VC and Wario Land? VB didn't even have but a few good games. Not even a Zelda title. Cmon guys. CHILL.
Its the best Wario Land game there is. It has yet to have been bettered. In fact its one of the finest platformers ever made, those who have played it NOT on emulation can tell you that. Even with the pain that you get from playing on a VB its still a very special game.

Had you even played it, which I doubt you have seeing that you have to ask such a stupid question, you would know.

As for a collection. Nope, there are probably 3 decent games...on Wario VB Land is really worth it. Let them come to Virtual Console or remade but a collection isn't really needed.

Fact of the matter is that this system was released as a unfinished product. Gunpei Yokoi (who came up with this, Metroid, Game & Watch and the Gameboy) did not want this released as it was, he felt that this was a prototype idea at best but Nintendo did not want to continue R&D on it and wanted to push the N64 further. A bit of a mistake for Nintendo, this could have been something special but Nintendo killed it by releasing something that is flawed and fucking hurts to play.

also, the vb games sucked. even the wario one wasnt very good.
Have you even played any games on a actual VB? You're a stupid person to comment if you haven't.
>Express opinion on a matter
>Get called stupid.
I'm starting to think this kind of thing is more focused in the 3DS forums then anything -_-
Let me ask you something. Have you ever played on a C64? Some of the best fucking shumps and text adventures I have ever played. Does that mean I lost out on it because I used a emulator? No. Its the same with the VB. Wario Land was a good platformer. Far from the best but it was a good platformer, it certainly doesn't demand anything more then VC, seeing how much worse games got VC remakes, I mean Radar Mission? SERIOUSLY? But to say because I wasn't born when a fucking huge pair of googles that required a stand to play was out, doesn't mean I cant say it wasn't that big of a deal. That's you being a stupid fanboy trapped in his childhood nostalgia.

Reactions: 1 person

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
OP
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I feel like the only people who like the Virtual Boy are people who have never actually used a Virtual Boy.
I had a Virtual Boy. For some reason the thing didn't keep too well and both mine and my brother's eventually got to the point where there was just a flickering image in one eye (we both had one but to my knowledge multiplayer ability never came about.)

Anyway. My personal favorite is Red Alarm. It's the polygonal 3D that the virtual boy always SHOULD have been.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
The Virtual Boy was never even released here. I'd at least like a chance to play the games without spending a fortune to get one on eBay. Like others, though, I think VC titles should suffice.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Virtual Boy was never even released here. I'd at least like a chance to play the games without spending a fortune to get one on eBay. Like others, though, I think VC titles should suffice.
Its called a emulator.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Its called a emulator.
Take the blinkers off, mate, not everyone wants to mess around downloading emulators and ROMs. I'd much rather see an official release and I'm willing to wait until it happens. I'm not particularly desperate to play the games, but I would buy them if they were released on VC, just for the experience.

Regardless of whether it was a success or a failure, the Virtual Boy is still a part of gaming history and it shouldn't be buried for all eternity. Nintendo shouldn't be ashamed of it, they should be proud. They should embrace that and release the games for the 3DS to show the natural progression of 3D gaming from then until now.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like the only people who like the Virtual Boy are people who have never actually used a Virtual Boy.

I had one when they were new as a bday present. Had some great hours with it. Still have it in the attic of my dads place, its fun to pull out every once in a while. Even though anymore I actually like playing on the VB emu on the Wii with glasses for convience.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its called a emulator.
Take the blinkers off, mate, not everyone wants to mess around downloading emulators and ROMs. I'd much rather see an official release and I'm willing to wait until it happens. I'm not particularly desperate to play the games, but I would buy them if they were released on VC, just for the experience.

Regardless of whether it was a success or a failure, the Virtual Boy is still a part of gaming history and it shouldn't be buried for all eternity. Nintendo shouldn't be ashamed of it, they should be proud. They should embrace that and release the games for the 3DS to show the natural progression of 3D gaming from then until now.
I'm sorry, where did I say it shouldn't be made? I simply said people need to calm down about it, there's no "blinkers to turn off here" (@Zerosuitconnor, what the hell does that mean :l) if they make it, fucking whoppie, another collection of old games. History my ass, its a game console, and it really had little effect on the industry. Its just a nice little fail that /v/tards can over reference when they talk about how cool Sony is.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Its called a emulator.

I'm sorry, where did I say it shouldn't be made? I simply said people need to calm down about it, there's no "blinkers to turn off here" (@Zerosuitconnor, what the hell does that mean :l) if they make it, fucking whoppie, another collection of old games. History my ass, its a game console, and it really had little effect on the industry. Its just a nice little fail that /v/tards can over reference when they talk about how cool Sony is.
You didn't say it shouldn't be made, but I didn't imply that you did say that. I was merely stating my own opinion in response to your comments that there were no good games and it was a crap console. WRT blinkers, your response, "it's called a emulator", just seems a little narrow sighted. Also, your statement about people calming down seemed unnecessary, it was the 4th post and I'm unconvinced that people were getting over-excited.

The effect on the industry might be subtle, but there's no doubt it had an effect on Nintendo. It was a mistake to learn from and, arguably, it led them down the path to where they are now. The 3DS proves that they were undeterred in their quest to bring 3D gaming to the consumer and the two consoles seem somewhat linked by that. Remember, Europeans never saw the VB, so it would be more of a collection of new old games for us.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass