Hacking virgin lauch-day wii

chose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dialexio said:
I don't think the copy of IOS9 from launch Wiis is available on NUS.

If you want it, maybe the very first version would be available on super paper mario update partition. I don't think nintendo updated their ios version back then, since the signing bug wasn't found yet. Could be worth a try, who knows. But of course his version would be better
biggrin.gif

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He said TP hack doesn't work since he can't install the save. No SD support whatsoever on this menu. That came with 2.0...

He has a chip, but the ISO of HBC beta8 failed to run. Any clue how to dump NAND+Keys without any brew or cIOSes? Maybe DVDs of those tools listed by chose with an extra IOS_Reload() to IOS9 in the source code?

Anyway, I was looking at IOS listings. Seeing that IOS10 was never used, and IOS11 was for menu 2.0, he likely only has IOS4 and IOS9 at his disposal. Even the oldest games that come with a proper update have 2.0 on them...Maybe a custom update partition could be made to install IOS36 for brawl/smash stack?

@Dialexio: Correct. The first posted one is the one from 2.0 update I believe.
@Chose: Unlikely, but won't hurt to open it in WiiScrubber or to WUFE it and look. Either way, it's useless without the 1.0 menu.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe his goal was to collect NAND+Keys and WADs of Menu 1.0 and IOS9, not to mod the wii. Menu 1.0 does have a Wi-fi update option. If he just wanted to mod it, update to 4.2 and start from there.

mattjd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I guess an infectus chip is your best bet to dump the anand but this will need soldering skills and basically take te nand chip off of the board.

Umm does your chip support GC homebrew via disc?

Maybe there is a nand dumper which will work with GC homebrew via disc.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I guess an infectus chip is your best bet to dump the anand but this will need soldering skills and basically take te nand chip off of the board.
That might work, but not the best option. Even an infectus dump is worthless without the keys to decrypt it.

QUOTEMaybe there is a nand dumper which will work with GC homebrew via disc.
Non-existent as far as i know. GC brew can't dump a NAND because GCs don't have a NAND. MIOS probably hides that, just like it hides the USB, SD, Wifi, etc.

I was thinking about this last night...How about a custom update partition, with IOS36 and HBC b8 (uses IOS36) as the payload? He'd just insert it and install the offered update to get HBC. Side effect is that brick-blocked brawl will work since he'll get IOS36.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
techboy said:
What happened when you ran the HBC disc? Black Screen?

Try this: Get a wad of IOS36 and HBC from somewhere (or dump from a working wii). Use wwPacker to change IOS used by HBC wad to IOS36 if needed. Install IOS36 and HBC wad using a disc of Wad Manager 1.5. Select IOS9 as the IOS to use for Wad Manager.

Once you have HBC, update HBC and install bootmii. Make a NAND dump, install cIOS rev14 if you have not already, then use WAD Creator on the system menu and IOS9. Quite a few of us are interested in those two wads, including me.
smile.gif

As this is likely to be the only launch day wii that hasn't been updated, it would be good if the nand dump didn't have hbc or any other ios in.
Which is possible using a trucha signed dvd, if you have a mod chip.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
As this is likely to be the only launch day wii that hasn't been updated, it would be good if the nand dump didn't have hbc or any other ios in.
He does have a chip, and he's tried DVDs. Things like YawND tend to reload to IOS36. When the IOS Reload fails due to missing IOS, they hang at a black screen, making them useless.

Here's yet another idea. I'm just writing them as they come: Maybe yank the 00000001.app (a wad's main.dol) out of an HBC wad and make a DVD using that. Set the DVD to run on IOS9. Boot HBC DVD and run tools.

Ultralex

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
techboy said:
QUOTE said:
He does have a chip, and he's tried DVDs. Things like YawND tend to reload to IOS36. When the IOS Reload fails due to missing IOS, they hang at a black screen, making them useless.

Here's yet another idea. I'm just writing them as they come: Maybe yank the 00000001.app (a wad's main.dol) out of an HBC wad and make a DVD using that. Set the DVD to run on IOS9. Boot HBC DVD and run tools.
and why not loadmii or the hackmii installer?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hackmii installer probably won't find any IOSes to use, because he only has IOS4 and IOS9, and ancient versions of them at that. Even the old HBC b8 install DVD wants IOS36 (and i believe IOS34 for installer), as does many other homebrew apps.

Loadmii might work, assuming it doesn't IOS_Reload.

If he installs an IOS36, a lot of stuff would start working...including a proper exploit (smash stack, since brawl will work). As to how to get an IOS36 installed ALONE without a menu update, we have yet to figure that one out.

mattjd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Umm maybe a custom disc which loads loadmii via IOS9 you know like the wad manager autoboot disc. Then he runs the hackmii installer which will work fine as long as the IOS is an old version with the trucha bug enabled which it is then he can install bootmii and dump the nand
smile.gif

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Umm maybe a custom disc which loads loadmii via IOS9 you know like the wad manager autoboot disc.
Does an IOS9 WM disc exist? If so, he can install IOS36 then hack the thing normally with smashstack.

QUOTEThen he runs the hackmii installer which will work fine as long as the IOS is an old version with the trucha bug enabled
Can the installer even run on IOS9? The IOS9 lacks quite a few of the functions of later IOSes. I've always seen it run on IOS15 or IOS17 (forget which). Assuming it can, will HBC run on IOS9?

eldi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
could the pink fish disc strike again? if you could mod that to install IOS36 as well as the IOS16 it has within it you can then smash stack and run wad manager under 16

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Modding pinkfish seems plausible, although it could be any disc at all. Does anyone know how to make custom update partitions?

You probably could just make a DVD of Wad Manager IOS16 and use that. Insert pinkfish, let it install IOS16, then insert wmIOS16 disc and reboot. Use the WM IOS16 to install HBC wad and IOS36. From HBC, do the bootmii dump and wad packing.

EDIT: 400th post...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I remember on early Wii hacking days, someone manually edited the __update.inf to "not load the new files included in the update partition".
I think you might use Zelda TP and edit its update partition (or inject a new one using WUM), and create your own custom __update.inf to install IOS36v1042.

Trucha bug might be working on early IOS 4 and 9.

Edit : now that gbatemp.net have all the old thread merged (Thank you Costello !), it could be find with the original search engine. I'll try to look for it.
Edit 2 : an easy model available here : http://hackmii.com/2008/05/ntsc-semi-brick-fix/
it was bushing making an update partition to fix a semi-brick. it include only 1 IOS, 1 system menu, and 1 __update.inf
Edit 3 : Wii update patcher only removed all the update information from __update.inf, it doesn't allow to manually edit its content, too bad
frown.gif
, you will have to create an __update.inf using an hex editor.

Oh, for the one asking about GC backups : You remember, the Wii could hotswap discs to boot imported games
tongue.gif

You could also try loading GC backups and imported GC games without modchip (but I don't think it will work with backups, as it need the dev mode to read DVDs).
We needed to be super quick at running the game, and swapping with new one ! it worked well and in fullscreen
smile.gif

gamerjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A launch day wii, arent you able to downgrade back to 1.0 or no? I know mine is a launch day, first one ever sold (at least close enough i was 1st in line on the eastern coast)

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
gamerjr said:
A launch day wii, arent you able to downgrade back to 1.0 or no? I know mine is a launch day, first one ever sold (at least close enough i was 1st in line on the eastern coast)

Even in the unlikely event that he has a 1.0 FW, this would not be possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    ohio is round on both sides and hi in the middle
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And real f ing high! But not the height. We got legal recreation now, so yea...
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Good times.