Suggestion VIP/Supporter account?

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, i've been on a few forums before this one in the past (like, years and years ago) and there were a paid account system for people who wanted to support the forum wich unlocked some goodies for them (like hidden forums to promote the support).

I was wondering if something like this could be possible here or if we could see something like that in a near future...

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know how I'd feel about hidden forums, sounds like that'd segment the community a bit, but a donation badge sounds nice.

Actually, didn't we have a donation badge once? I remember there being some sort of donation thing. Maybe I'm confusing this with another site...

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know how I'd feel about hidden forums, sounds like that'd segment the community a bit, but a donation badge sounds nice.

Actually, didn't we have a donation badge once? I remember there being some sort of donation thing. Maybe I'm confusing this with another site...
hey, that would be cool too.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like this seeing as it would limit the shit threads and let the people who are serious donate to the site or people who want expert help can donate.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like this seeing as it would limit the shit threads and let the people who are serious donate to the site or people who want expert help can donate.
It won't limit bad threads, they'll still be there. Unless you want this site to be a paid members only site, then I don't see why it would cut down at all on garbage threads. Also, the expert help you mention probably wouldn't work because developers and other knowledgeable people would have to pay to help people with questions at all.

Reactions: Deleted User

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just to support the forum hosting costs and that stuff, with small benefits to motivate the people to do so (like no ads for the ones who donate or buy paid accounts, small decorations to their accounts or small features like the colorful status message).

We know the forum can survive with only ads, but a vip system would hurt it... you know, more money for the owner...

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
When the site first got its current design overhaul, the dark theme was only usable by people who had donated until it was considered "finished".

I guess a similar thing could be done going forward, give donators access to new stuff while its still being tinkered with. Having said that, the site is not exactly redesigned every other day so it would be a very infrequent perk...

The perk I prefer is the fact that the site is still up and running and a lot more stable during huge releases than it once was (the site used to get thrashed every time a new Pokemon or other high profile game was dumped as people clambered for an AP fix)

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the site first got its current design overhaul, the dark theme was only usable by people who had donated until it was considered "finished".

I guess a similar thing could be done going forward, give donators access to new stuff while its still being tinkered with. Having said that, the site is not exactly redesigned every other day so it would be a very infrequent perk...

The perk I prefer is the fact that the site is still up and running and a lot more stable during huge releases than it once was (the site used to get thrashed every time a new Pokemon or other high profile game was dumped as people clambered for an AP fix)
hey, it's always cool to hear about the old gbatemp. Your idea isn't bad either.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds like a horrible idea. There are enough elitists in this community without so-called "experts." If people want expert help they shouldn't be asking randos on the internet. And besides, unless GBAtemp was to give these experts money in exchange for their help I don't see why anyone would agree. They would be forced to engage more in the community (otherwise the people who donated would get all upset that their money didn't go toward anything useful) and it'd end up benefitting no one (aside from GBAtemp).

If you want to support GBAtemp just turn off your adblocker and buy from their sponsors. I never understood why people need some kind of "VIP" status to show that they're better than others.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds like a horrible idea. There are enough elitists in this community without so-called "experts." If people want expert help they shouldn't be asking randos on the internet. And besides, unless GBAtemp was to give these experts money in exchange for their help I don't see why anyone would agree. They would be forced to engage more in the community (otherwise the people who donated would get all upset that their money didn't go toward anything useful) and it'd end up benefitting no one (aside from GBAtemp).

If you want to support GBAtemp just turn off your adblocker and buy from their sponsors. I never understood why people need some kind of "VIP" status to show that they're better than others.
Would like to, but i would end paying more for shipping what a bought to where a live than donating a few bucks to the site. It was never my idea neither i mentioned something to be better than the others that does not like donating. My idea was just to give something, even the smallest thing to the donater to encourage others to do the same.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I use it, it's easy to upload file.
It's also integrated to the forum (top right icon), but works only on the non-SSL version of the forum, and doesn't autolog to my account :(
Even though Filetrip just got SSL support, it still doesn't integrate with the forum without disabling the protection on firefox. that's too bad as it was easy to upload a file to link while typing/replying a message before SSL support was added to the forum.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
a donation badge sounds nice.
I'd totally agree with something like that, but not a Badge like the Contributor or the Mod badges, but something that doesn't overwrite your current badges.

Something like this:

Untitled.png

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The idea of VIP and similar was suggested before. The staff at the time was categorically opposed to it, and though people can change their mind the makeup is still basically the same.

Personally I am absolutely opposed to it, as in ball and going home opposed, and can not see it doing any good for this site. There might be some sites that it works for, usually some flavour of tech support or highly specific and highly skilled forum where the users can be relied upon to have a bit of scratch, but this ain't that. Donation badges and nonsense like that which gets caught by my adblock is fine I guess but bonuses beyond that is not on from where I sit.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s