Suggestion VIP/Supporter account?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by DeslotlCL, Jul 30, 2016.

1. DeslotlCL
    OP

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's Saint Holy Sword Dragon

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    Well, i've been on a few forums before this one in the past (like, years and years ago) and there were a paid account system for people who wanted to support the forum wich unlocked some goodies for them (like hidden forums to promote the support).

I was wondering if something like this could be possible here or if we could see something like that in a near future...

2. AceWarhead

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    Don't know how I'd feel about hidden forums, sounds like that'd segment the community a bit, but a donation badge sounds nice.

Actually, didn't we have a donation badge once? I remember there being some sort of donation thing. Maybe I'm confusing this with another site...

Tomato Hentai and TheVinAnator like this.
  3. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    hey, that would be cool too.

4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I would like this seeing as it would limit the shit threads and let the people who are serious donate to the site or people who want expert help can donate.

5. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I would totally donate for the site.

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Filetrip has paid features :P

7. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    It won't limit bad threads, they'll still be there. Unless you want this site to be a paid members only site, then I don't see why it would cut down at all on garbage threads. Also, the expert help you mention probably wouldn't work because developers and other knowledgeable people would have to pay to help people with questions at all.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  8. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    This is just to support the forum hosting costs and that stuff, with small benefits to motivate the people to do so (like no ads for the ones who donate or buy paid accounts, small decorations to their accounts or small features like the colorful status message).

We know the forum can survive with only ads, but a vip system would hurt it... you know, more money for the owner...

9. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

Dec 2, 2007
    Perth
    When the site first got its current design overhaul, the dark theme was only usable by people who had donated until it was considered "finished".

I guess a similar thing could be done going forward, give donators access to new stuff while its still being tinkered with. Having said that, the site is not exactly redesigned every other day so it would be a very infrequent perk...

The perk I prefer is the fact that the site is still up and running and a lot more stable during huge releases than it once was (the site used to get thrashed every time a new Pokemon or other high profile game was dumped as people clambered for an AP fix)

10. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    hey, it's always cool to hear about the old gbatemp. Your idea isn't bad either.

11. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    That sounds like a horrible idea. There are enough elitists in this community without so-called "experts." If people want expert help they shouldn't be asking randos on the internet. And besides, unless GBAtemp was to give these experts money in exchange for their help I don't see why anyone would agree. They would be forced to engage more in the community (otherwise the people who donated would get all upset that their money didn't go toward anything useful) and it'd end up benefitting no one (aside from GBAtemp).

If you want to support GBAtemp just turn off your adblocker and buy from their sponsors. I never understood why people need some kind of "VIP" status to show that they're better than others.

12. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    Would like to, but i would end paying more for shipping what a bought to where a live than donating a few bucks to the site. It was never my idea neither i mentioned something to be better than the others that does not like donating. My idea was just to give something, even the smallest thing to the donater to encourage others to do the same.

13. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Does anyone use filetrip anymore? Is it like a archive for flashcart files?

14. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    People use it or else! :gun:

15. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I don't so what are ya going do?

Anyway I think the temp should have a donation VIP member system or at least a PayPal or Bitcoin to donate to

16. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    If i use it does that mean you will talk to me more? :blush:

17. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Senpai noticed you

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  18. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I use it, it's easy to upload file.
    It's also integrated to the forum (top right icon), but works only on the non-SSL version of the forum, and doesn't autolog to my account :(
    Even though Filetrip just got SSL support, it still doesn't integrate with the forum without disabling the protection on firefox. that's too bad as it was easy to upload a file to link while typing/replying a message before SSL support was added to the forum.

19. smileyhead

smileyhead Occasional Reporter

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    I'd totally agree with something like that, but not a Badge like the Contributor or the Mod badges, but something that doesn't overwrite your current badges.

Something like this:

Untitled.png

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    The idea of VIP and similar was suggested before. The staff at the time was categorically opposed to it, and though people can change their mind the makeup is still basically the same.

Personally I am absolutely opposed to it, as in ball and going home opposed, and can not see it doing any good for this site. There might be some sites that it works for, usually some flavour of tech support or highly specific and highly skilled forum where the users can be relied upon to have a bit of scratch, but this ain't that. Donation badges and nonsense like that which gets caught by my adblock is fine I guess but bonuses beyond that is not on from where I sit.

VinLark likes this.