Video: how to update emunand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Loque, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Loque
    OP

Loque Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Italy

I should update my emunand (with a backup of it first to be safe).
    Is this video a correct method to update emunand safely and doing the backup?

I need this confirm to finally proceed :)
    Thanks

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah all looks good and nice they included the "backup your system nand first" .....quite a few tutorials skip that and its a important step for if all else fails

3. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    gateway should just include a new function in their new update
    • start up gateway mode, check, did the user make a NAND backup?
      value says 0 --> ask the user
      value says 1 --> don't ask, boot up gateway mode normally
    • in case of 0 --> question pops up, "Did you make a NAND backup and safely store it on another storage medium?"
      yes --> value gets changed to 1 and gateway mode boots normally, every future gateway startup will see value=1, so don't ask the question anymore
      no --> "Make sure, you have 1 GB space on your SD card for the backup, then press "Continue" or shut down now and clear space"
      then it backs up your NAND, nothing new to code here, this is already a basic gateway function, afterwards it tells you "The system will boot down now, copy the NAND.bin to another storage medium and make sure not to loose it, this is very important in case of a brick. Have a nice day. "
      you press "OK" --> value changes to 1, system boots down, you copy your file, all safe, message won't pop up anymore
    if gateway makes this a mandatory step, guiding its users through it to make sure, everyone has a working 4.x backup, then alot of trouble can be prevented and there is nothing big to code here, its just a bunch of text and one variable with either the value of 0 or 1 to check, the NAND backup function already is implemented and working, it is just the on screen reminder + tutorial, that many people are missing
    if you don't tell them to do it, they don't do it
    I might actually just send this as a mail to them, maybe they will consider something along those lines

4. AlbertoSONIC

AlbertoSONIC Pasta Team Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Italy
    You could follow my video guide:

How to safely update Gateway's Emunand to 8.1:

It's completely safe, you just have to backup your system nand throught Gateway Menu before following my video and then you're fine...

5. Loque
    OP

Loque Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Italy
    Grazie ;)

6. AlbertoSONIC

Jun 27, 2014
    Italy
    Are you italian?

7. Loque
    OP

Loque Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Italy
    yes, see the flag :P

8. AlbertoSONIC

Jun 27, 2014
    Italy
    Oh sorry i'm from mobile (Tapatalk) so i couldn't see it. Anyway, i'm happy to see some italian here! Let me know if my video "worked" for you! ;)

9. Loque
    OP

Loque Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Italy
    sure i'm waiting the new 3ds xl to arrive and i test it. thank you