--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

thank you all

Skip2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So one sided charging remained after refitting the port and reseating the M92 for the third time.

I was certain the CC lines were the culprit, but the buzzed right the way through to the M92 with no problems. So in desperation I removed the M92 and figured I'd see the CC1 line come through to the M92 pad with the USB connected. (5v). Nada. WTF!?

So it turns out that on the underside of the board, right next to the USB-C is an optional choke/ESD protection device sitting on the CC lines, and two convenient test pads (10 and 9) that are mislabelled on the SwitchBrew site. On another board this component was missing. I understand it's the same one that straddles the D+/D- lines on the other side. I had assumed that the CC lines went direct through to the M92, but I was wrong.

So I popped it off and voila! The damn thing starts charging on both connector orientations!

So something to watch out for. If the IC is totally damaged, then you'll get one-sided charging, or no charging at all. Worth checking before you go down the futile route if replacing USB-C connectors or M92s!

For those interested, the component is an Texas Instruments TPD2E1B06

View attachment 208967

Hi SheriffBuck,

thank you for the great finding and you are totally correct, i can confirm it with 6 consoles.

I would like to explain more detailed for other users:

If someone have a switch where the USB-C and the M92T36 is already replaced and the Switch is charging only in one direction, or the charging symbol on the right upper corner appears delayed about 5-10 sec. Then the TPD2E1B06 on the backside is damaged and should be replaced.

Attachments

• 2021-06-09_20h52_01.jpg
    2021-06-09_20h52_01.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 131

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi SheriffBuck,

thank you for the great finding and you are totally correct, i can confirm it with 6 consoles.

I would like to explain more detailed for other users:

If someone have a switch where the USB-C and the M92T36 is already replaced and the Switch is charging only in one direction, or the charging symbol on the right upper corner appears delayed about 5-10 sec. Then the TPD2E1B06 on the backside is damaged and should be replaced.

Backside? Which exactly? May you please share a screenshot of the component.
Thanks!

Last edited by Agilato,

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just v been repairing switch with same issue, M92T36 also responsible for charger side switching.

It's very easy to test: if you don't have TPD2E1B06 chip on the back side of the board,
just check if any of red-circled pins are shorted to ground in this case half of M92T36 isn't working,
due to signal landing on the ground.

Basically pins CC1 and CC2 go to the other side of the board,
in earlier revisions get filtered by TPD2E1B06 and go over pins 37 and 35 at M92T36

TPD2E1B06 is not required
for switch to work, it's just a filter, it's actually has been removed later by Nintendo.

You can start by removing TPD2E1B06 cus it's way easier to work with.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.12.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.12.14 PM.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by Agilato,
Reactions: Skip2000

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123: Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?