Hacking VC Rom Injection Size Edit?

Vaerille

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Have recently been testing the virtual console game injection process. As we know already, we can not load games larger than the base vc game. However, I am wondering why this is the case. Note, I am a "noob" when it comes to the coding side of this endeavor so please bare with me when you explain. Also, I have seen people regarding success by changing rom headers so that the code.bin loads the game. The game then goes on to load in VC. If anyone knows how to successfully change the header COMPLETELY so that the checksums are good and the game loads please explain to me how to do so.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from my initial tests, going over the base rom size would overwrite other memory and cause the entire VC application to crash. but i guess its possible based on certain VC games some of the data after the rom could get overwrite without causing a crash. i know with links awakening DX (1MB) attempting to inject 2MB rom crashed the entire VC application.

Vaerille

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from my initial tests, going over the base rom size would overwrite other memory and cause the entire VC application to crash. but i guess its possible based on certain VC games some of the data after the rom could get overwrite without causing a crash. i know with links awakening DX (1MB) attempting to inject 2MB rom crashed the entire VC application.

So is possible support for larger roms (Than the Base Rom) not very viable in the near future?

Vaerille

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

also, is there a difference in size between games like warioland 2 and mario golf. Or are they both exactly 2 mb?

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is possible support for larger roms (Than the Base Rom) not very viable in the near future?

Not really, like i said overwriting data that comes after the base rom in memory crashes the VC most of the time.

also, is there a difference in size between games like warioland 2 and mario golf. Or are they both exactly 2 mb?

Mario Golf (2MB) Warioland 2 (1MB)

Vaerille

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, like i said overwriting data that comes after the base rom in memory crashes the VC most of the time.

Mario Golf (2MB) Warioland 2 (1MB)

Im Sorry if I am being annoying, but wouldn't warioland 2 be 2 mb since the hex code at 0x148 is 6?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Have recently been testing the virtual console game injection process. As we know already, we can not load games larger than the base vc game. However, I am wondering why this is the case. Note, I am a "noob" when it comes to the coding side of this endeavor so please bare with me when you explain. Also, I have seen people regarding success by changing rom headers so that the code.bin loads the game. The game then goes on to load in VC. If anyone knows how to successfully change the header COMPLETELY so that the checksums are good and the game loads please explain to me how to do so.

You would need to edit the VC game's binary itself (which would require a kernel exploit) as that decides where in ram the game is loaded. this would need to be changed to allocate 2MB or 4MB of ram instead and inject the rom after. I could be wrong about this, so somebody correct me if I am misunderstanding how it works.

why not just use Shantae as it is a 4MB game?

gokuguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would need to edit the VC game's binary itself (which would require a kernel exploit) as that decides where in ram the game is loaded. this would need to be changed to allocate 2MB or 4MB of ram instead and inject the rom after. I could be wrong about this, so somebody correct me if I am misunderstanding how it works.

why not just use Shantae as it is a 4MB game?

This. Both Shantae and Rayman are 4MB, so either one of those should set you up.

Vaerille

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This. Both Shantae and Rayman are 4MB, so either one of those should set you up.

So is VC injection over for all those who were forced to update (me, had to use eshop)?, or is there any possible leads on continued injection in version 9.5.0-23.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all