Hacking VC Games Region Free?

lettuce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I havent bothered with VC games in the Past by really feel like play Star Fox 64, i know in the past you couldnt play a NTSC VC games on a PAL Wii and vise versa, but has that now changed?.

I have Preloader and BootMii installed on my 4.0E Wii, if thats of any use?

lettuce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok ill check it out. The only reason i asked is i thought i saw an option in Preloader for Region Free VC Wads, or something to that effect??

Slade.AU

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Australia
I've never used Preloader, so I can't comment on it. For what ever reason, it's just not 'my thing'. It may well do the same thing as FreeTheWads, but on a less permanent basis (?). In other words, it might just patch the game at runtime, rather than patching the wad installer to be region free.

It can't hurt to try. If Preloader doesn't work, then you'll just get an error message about the game not loading. You could then either over-install the wad after running it through FreeTheWads or remove it with Any Title Deleter and install it again. I don't know whether over-installing will work, I haven't had the need to try it.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I've enabled "region free channels" in preloader and all VC and Wiiware work fine without needing to patch them before installing.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
FreeTheWad's doesn't work so great these days...

The recommended approach is using wwpacker (unpacking and then repacking with region free option and video mode changes), and/or waninkoko's nand loader injector (required to force some games to their proper resolution ie.480p)

Of course, this may or may not be required if your system menu is patched to run "region free channels" with preloader or startpatch etc. I think it depends on the game.
Certainly, to play Majoras mask NTSC correctly on a PAL system (480p, 60hz, otherwise sound and video will be garbled), you need wanin's nand loader to force the region to 480p.

lettuce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right installed the US version of Star Fox 64, and it loads fine, but the sound is stuttering, any ideas?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
You need to force the game to play at 480I or 480P NTSC.

The stuttering is due to a 60Hz game playing at 50Hz (traditional PAL frequency)

To do this you either use the video mode changer (comes with wwpacker, may not be 100% success) or inject waninkoko's nandloader.

Try the second method, it is probably easier that way too. All you need to do is run waninkokos nandloader injector, select and patch starfox. Then when you start the game, hold the reset button (i think) and change the force video mode to NTSC or 480P or widescreen or something like that (can't remember, give it a try), then try and boot the game again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up +1