Valve asserts that despite rumors, they are "absolutely not" working on a new Left 4 Dead game

JRPdSJh.png

When it comes to Valve, there's always been a trouble with three's. For the longest time, rumors and speculation have swirled, raising hopes in regards to a third entry in one of Valve's popular franchises, Left 4 Dead. Prospects of a new Left 4 Dead 3 have been making their way around the internet for years, from the game's voice actors talking about possibly recording lines for their characters, to most recently, the president of HTC China mentioning the possibility of a new L4D3 for VR, during a Vive business meeting. Those rumors can now be put to rest, though, as Valve has seemingly decided to put a stop to the endless wondering about when we'd get a new Left 4 Dead game. In an interview exclusive to IGN, Valve made an official statement stating the following.

We’ve seen rumors to this effect for the last couple of months. We did briefly explore some Left 4 Dead next gen opportunities a few years ago. But we are absolutely not working on anything L4D related now, and haven’t for years. It’s clear some people are having fun creating misinformation to spin up the community and other outlets. Unfortunately, for now a new L4D game is not something we’re working on.

So, according to the company, an unspecified amount of time ago, Valve was indeed looking into creating a new game--possibly around 2012, if the supposedly "leaked concept art designs" are to be believed--but the idea was shelved, and hasn't been revisited in years. Perhaps we'll see Left 4 Dead return someday, but it won't be any time soon. At least Valve fans will have Half Life: Alyx to look forward to.

:arrow: Source: IGN

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For those interested, the developer behind the original Left 4 Dead (but not Left 4 Dead 2), Turtle Rock Studios, is working on a spiritual successor called Back 4 Blood. It’s being published by Warner Bros. instead of Valve but hopefully it’ll turn out good. Worth keeping an eye on at least.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
For those interested, the developer behind the original Left 4 Dead (but not Left 4 Dead 2), Turtle Rock Studios, is working on a spiritual successor called Back 4 Blood. It’s being published by Warner Bros. instead of Valve but hopefully it’ll turn out good. Worth keeping an eye on at least.
I'd be more inclined to care, if I didn't laugh every time I heard the name Turtle Rock after Evolve happened.

Reactions: Xzi

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"We’ve seen rumors to this effect for the last couple of months. We did briefly explore some Left 4 Dead next gen opportunities a few years ago. But we are absolutely not working on anything L4D related now, and haven’t for years. It’s clear some people are having fun creating misinformation to spin up the community and other outlets. Unfortunately, for now a new L4D game is not something we’re working on."

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd be more inclined to care, if I didn't laugh every time I heard the name Turtle Rock after Evolve happened.

If I remember right, people's biggest problem with Evolve was the obnoxious pre-order bonuses, special editions, DLC, microtransactions and all that. Even if the core game was average at best, I don't think it would have been such a laughingstock if it wasn't for the business model. In fact, I kind of remember people saying Evolve: Stage 2 was a lot better, similar to (but not as dramatic as) the turnaround people have been doing on No Man's Sky after their recent updates. I'm hoping most of the game's initial issues can be put down to publisher interference, and maybe WB will treat them better than 2K did (not that WB has a great reputation as a publisher either). I wouldn't say my hopes are high for this game, but I'm cautiously optimistic given that Turtle Rock managed to put together a pretty solid game when their publisher wasn't a total shithead.

Reactions: Agret

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I really wish they would just let someone else work on their games. It's obvious they have next to no desire to make games anymore, yet they keep sitting on these titles and letting them rot. It's upsetting knowing that these games could be seeing more in their series if Value wasn't sitting on them.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sad to hear but the good news is that they are working on 2 other vr games which could be Half Life 3 and something else. In my opinion they wouldn't revive half-life series with Alyx and not make Half-life 3 as the conclusion .

Last edited by comput3rus3r,
D

Deleted-236924

I really wish they would just let someone else work on their games. It's obvious they have next to no desire to make games anymore, yet they keep sitting on these titles and letting them rot. It's upsetting knowing that these games could be seeing more in their series if Value wasn't sitting on them.

Portal 3 ;_;

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And basically none of them are worth playing. Nothing even comes close to Left 4 Dead 2 as far as 4-player co-op shooters are concerned.
Killing Floor 2 is pretty amazing. Has 6 players (or more with custom servers) great co-op action, and has tons of custom maps and mods (lotsa good ones and it's via workshop support)

Reactions: IncredulousP

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Killing Floor 2 is pretty amazing. Has 6 players (or more with custom servers) great co-op action, and has tons of custom maps and mods (lotsa good ones and it's via workshop support)
I found Killing Floor to be intensely boring, to be honest. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but it felt... slapped together.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found Killing Floor to be intensely boring, to be honest. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but it felt... slapped together.
The first one was meh, but the second was has a lot more polish graphically and mechanic wise (and is like $7 on sale/key sites)

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ya know, I usually shrug off these kinda things as them blatantly lying
but seeing it's Valve, and how they don't know the number 3 exists...

I believe them

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds to me that they should get to work on a new left 4 dead rather then waste time trying to deny its existence or you know breathing cause anything else is a sin. (Insert sarcasm where appropriate)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over