Using Windows XP safely and online in 2022?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very happy with 10 LTSC and plan on using until 2029, but is XP still safe to use as a daily OS by using a reliable antivirus and not installing questionable programs?

By that reasoning, could Windows 10 be used beyond its extended life support, then?

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 11 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I heard very few people are still used Windows XP. Also some people still using Windows 7 when Microsoft end support them. XP and 7 are still working as longer hardware are stable to running for years. I know Windows XP is not safe go on internet due to new exploits due to unpatched vulnerabilities could mess up computer easily. I on Windows 7 (unpatched vulnerabilities) right now and use internet daily did not notice any problems, because I never visit unofficial websites and dangerous websites. I only trust official websites to know where I on right way never give me any troubles.

Kids and teens are never experience on computer to use internet, if what happen use internet then someone download unknown files on computer and open then mess up due to malware, virus, spyware, ransomware, etc. It's very dangerous for kids and teens to use internet what they are doing. Kids and teens must be get out of troubles on internet. Parents and/or guardian must watch on kids and teens what they are doing on computers.

Always remember never open unknown emails, text and weird websites that someone send you in email, text or social websites (Facebook, Twitter, Discord, etc), then delete them. Never download attachments from spam emails, text and social websites that's what stranger or hacker send to you and people without knowledge. Always delete them and report them all of times period!

I used Windows XP in year 2004 until year 2013 then forced buy new HP desktop computer with Windows 7. I still using Windows 7 right now since year 2013. I keep my old computer that come with Windows XP just for old gaming and watch movies from DVD disc. One month ago I bought MSI gaming laptop with RTX 3060 come with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit version 20H1 (disabled auto updates). I had no problems with Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10. I have to go to use Linux next year for myself to learn new operating system, I did tried Linux Mint on my Windows 7 use VMware Workstation program to test many different kind of operating systems. I love to learn Linux compare to Windows and it's really fun for me to use. We must be very careful on internet and keep our safe online. ^_^

Reactions: Marc_LFD

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You'll probably fail at finding an XP compatible internet browser that a) has supports current websites and b) gets security updates. The browser is the attack surface.

The same for most software: Such an old OS isn't supported by developers. As much as I despise the "always new" and "upgrade!!!" philosophy, going online with something that has known, unpatched security problems is far from safe. XP is really old. As far as I know even the trick for partially updating beyond 2014 by declaring it to some kind of embedded or POS system isn't very helpful anymore (blurry memory: that support probably ended as well by now and didn't cover everything)

An XP machine makes a good offline game loader – not a computer to enter your personal data and login into your banking account.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom