GCN Using Pikmin's Windows files to Get Other GameCube Games Working on Windows?

donnaken15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could it be possible to get other games to work off Pikmin's WIndows files? Also both it's own DOL and executable depend on the same data folder to play. Though, it seems (and taking a guess with this) all the code is stored in the Piki DLL, which could mean that the other game's code would have to be ported like that plugin is, but it's probably not as simple as that like another thing or plugin or whatever would be required. This topic also looks like a mix between Computer Programming, Game Modding, and this board (GameCube). I thought about doing this with Super Monkey Ball 1 in particular. What's your thoughts?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like (based on my 30 seconds of skimming over it) that while it's possible to do this with Pikmin for the GameCube, it's because they included some of the .exe files and other files needed to run Pikmin on Windows, those files are going to be very very specific. So unless another game on the GC uses the exact same engine and resources it just will not work.

What it sounds like you want is like ROM injection, that's a bit easier to do because your just taking the raw ROM and replacing another ROM in a (usually) official emulator.

At the end of the day the best way to play GameCube on the PC by far is to run Dolphin.

donnaken15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like (based on my 30 seconds of skimming over it) that while it's possible to do this with Pikmin for the GameCube, it's because they included some of the .exe files and other files needed to run Pikmin on Windows, those files are going to be very very specific. So unless another game on the GC uses the exact same engine and resources it just will not work.

What it sounds like you want is like ROM injection, that's a bit easier to do because your just taking the raw ROM and replacing another ROM in a (usually) official emulator.

At the end of the day the best way to play GameCube on the PC by far is to run Dolphin.

See, that's what I said about the engine, the code would somehow have to be merged over into the plugin that I'm guessing the Windows program runs off of.

This was just a little idea I thought would be kind of interesting. I've even installed the Dolphin program once and kind of minimized it and some features just for Super Monkey Ball in a folder on my computer, so it kind of looks like a PC based game, and I'll play the game through there every now and then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1