Question Using new micro sd card

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by VEOS, Mar 5, 2019.

1. VEOS
    OP

VEOS Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2018
    Denmark
    Hello,

im using a switch with 200gb sd card and i want to switch to 400gb one. Im using CFW hekate 4.2 and i installed my games with tinfoil.
    Can i just move the files from the 200gb to the 400gb one or do i need to install the games again?

Kind regards

2. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    Should work, but you might wanna use something like teracopy for the transfer, just to make sure there's no data corruption.

also, if your card was exfat formatted before, this would be a good moment to switch to fat32

3. VEOS
    OP

VEOS Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2018
    Denmark
    I just checked it, it was exfat - why do you recommend fat 32?

Kind regards

4. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Just copy/paste.

5. Taorn

Taorn GBAtemp Regular

May 27, 2017
    United States
    The exfat driver implementation on the Switch is quite flawed. It can cause data corruption, especially when some application writes to your card and crashes in the meantime.

This risk still persists with FAT32, but the risk is lowered. It's the lesser of two evils.

6. daniele728

daniele728 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    Italy
    I also would like to switch to fat32, what should I do? I have a 128gb exfat...needs to factory reset the Nintendo switch?

7. Bil

Bil Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
  8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    Fat32 is less prone to corruption through homebrew that reads and writes to the sd card, such as retroarch or checkpoint. form what i hear,if all you do is use tinfoil and playing installed switch games, exfat isn't a problem though.

note that fat32 has one problem, it limits file size to 4gb, so if you want to install larger games or update files than that, you'd have to do it through usb install (its actually faster and more comfortable since you don't have to remove sd card https://gbatemp.net/threads/fluffy-a-tinfoil-and-goldleaf-gui.528930/ ) or alternatively, use an nsp splitter https://gbatemp.net/threads/legal-nsp-splitter-for-fat32.520213/

9. daniele728

daniele728 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    Italy
    Can I change my exfat sd to fat32 without loose all data inside? If I decide to change into fat32, should I do something on Nintendo switch or is enough to change just the sd?

10. stephrk398

stephrk398 GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2018
    United States
    I'm about to do this with a 512GB I just got. Going to boot into OFW (burnt fuses and all) and format it in the Switch itself as an extra precaution and to lessen the possibility of it "shocking" the console and ensuring the card is compatible. I have more peace of mind knowing the console created the Nintendo folder itself rather than throwing a couple hundred gigs of old data onto the new card and then booting it up for the first time. After all of those steps then I'll start copying over the data from my old Nintendo folder. That's the plan at least. It's what I did when going from 128 to 256 and worked great.

11. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    formatting an sd card will delete all data on it.
    so if you change from one format to the other, you'll need to save all data to the pc first and put it back after the format is done.

not necessary, but if you dont mind the fuses and you feel better that way, go for it.