Hacking Question Using fusee launcher on Arch Linux esxi VM, how to patch USB?

GraFfiX420

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I've been trying to get fusee to launch for days using an Arch VM on my esxi box. I have used this same VM for all development and testing of other people's stuff, and it always works fine.

Since fusee came out, I've been trying to get it to launch from the same VM, but it seems to fail, my guess is it's reaching the limit that the patch that fOf mentioned fixes.

My problem is I'm not sure what to patch under arch, and in almost sure it would require a custom kernel to be compiled after patching.

Does anyone have any ideas how we could get this working so I don't have to change back and forth between systems to test stuff.

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Does your ESXI host actually have USB 3 controllers within it ? IF you use vpshere client can you verify that USB passthrough is enabled and that it is 3.0 ? FG has issues with slower connections. You need the Shofel2 files to boot linux.

Google for soulciphers build, he has the SD pre primed ready to go all that remains then is to git clone the solucipher repository into your linux machine .

As per poster above, spot on FG will not launch linux.

Ps. if you do use the prebuilt image from soulcipher only burn the SD image to a sandisk 32GB - i tried 4 diff brands all failed accept sandisk.

Last edited by DaveLister,

GraFfiX420

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the host does not have usb 3.0 controllers, and I'm not using passthrough as the switch is not connected to the esxi host, but rather to my laptop which is connected to the VM via vmware fusion. My assumption is I need the ehci patch that is provided on fOf's blog, but it needs to be altered for arch?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, the host does not have usb 3.0 controllers, and I'm not using passthrough as the switch is not connected to the esxi host, but rather to my laptop which is connected to the VM via vmware fusion. My assumption is I need the ehci patch that is provided on fOf's blog, but it needs to be altered for arch?
You'll have to do a bit of searching but I've definitely seen someone share the patched kernel on here somewhere.

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Yes such a patch exists, but its for the host operating system windows to pass through usb 2.0 support for the linux OS to host Shofel2 - if using workstation - latest build. (I have not tested it in fusion)

GraFfiX420

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes such a patch exists, but its for the host operating system windows to pass through usb 2.0 support for the linux OS to host Shofel2 - if using workstation - latest build. (I have not tested it in fusion)

I'm not sure I'm understanding, the patch is for vmware workstation running under windows for USB pass through, is this correct? Do you happen to have a link to the patch so I can take a look at it?

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan

SkillingCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just open up a terminal, make sure you go to the folder where your patch is located, then type sudo python
ehci_patch.py (assuming you already have python installed, which you should have).
At the end it should give you an error but that's fine it should work anyway.

Last edited by SkillingCat,
Reactions: Dmafra

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Are you sure the VM will even see devices that are not connected directly to the host? I doubt that would work.

SkillingCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Honestly idk, I used it directly on Debian because I already had it installed on my computer, but as I heard it seems like VirtualBox doesn't allow usb passthrough, so you should go with VMware fusion.

D

Deleted User

Honestly idk, I used it directly on Debian because I already had it installed on my computer, but as I heard it seems like VirtualBox doesn't allow usb passthrough, so you should go with VMware fusion.

thanks alot buddy i am on osx and its pretty hard to install linux without messing with the osx filesystem so i am using vmware fusion

Reactions: SkillingCat

GraFfiX420

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure the VM will even see devices that are not connected directly to the host? I doubt that would work.

Yes, you may not have used esxi, but it definitely will facilitate a usb connection from client to host or host to client.

I'm going to try Retroids patch, seems to be working.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you could just: TegraRCMsmash + WSL + Custom Switch Filter Driver
n53mf9.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.