Homebrew Using Citra Emulator to practice downgrading and installing CFW?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Alright, so if I do hardmod, then somehow downgrade from 11.0, I can follow the guide and fuck up as many times as I want?
Then what happens if I do something that would normally brick my 3ds? How does it work?
Just restore a NAND backup if you mess up ;)
Though once you have A9LH you can do that anyway through software.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nice :P But I don't have a NAND backup though.. So hardmodding is basically useless if I don't make one first. How do I do that without ARM9 access?
You don't need a NAND backup to downgrade with a hardmod. I meant once you have the hardmod you're protected from bricks assuming you make a NAND backup. But A9LH effectively does the same thing since you can boot Decrypt9/EmuNAND9 etc even if your NAND is messed up.

Deleted member 387460

superuser
OP
Trophies
XP
You don't need a NAND backup to downgrade with a hardmod. I meant once you have the hardmod you're protected from bricks assuming you make a NAND backup. But A9LH effectively does the same thing since you can boot Decrypt9/EmuNAND9 etc even if your NAND is messed up.
Yeah, I realised just after I posted.
Well, hardmod it is then. Will make me feel a lot better about screwing with my poor 3ds :P
Anyway, are there any chances that restoring your NAND will fail? Or is it a 100% succes rate? (assuming you use one of the the approved sd readers and whatnot)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, I realised just after I posted.
Well, hardmod it is then. Will make me feel a lot better about screwing with my poor 3ds :P
Anyway, are there any chances that restoring your NAND will fail? Or is it a 100% succes rate? (assuming you use one of the the approved sd readers and whatnot)
Just make multiple NAND backups and verify the hash to make sure they are the same so you know you have a good dump.
Even if for some reason the restore failed (it won't unless the reader loses contact with the NAND or you unplug the reader :P ) you can just retry.

Deleted member 387460

superuser
OP
Trophies
XP
Just make multiple NAND backups and verify the hash to make sure they are the same so you know you have a good dump.
Even if for some reason the restore failed (it won't unless the reader loses contact with the NAND or you unplug the reader :P ) you can just retry.
Thank you! :D
Then I am prepared to do this... I'll do it if it means I can revive my 3ds if i get the bootrom error code of death.
..Sorry for this, but juuust one last question, I promise.
Are there any reports of the frankenfirmware of 11.0/10.4 not being able to downgrade? i.e. has it been tested?

^_^ i'm sorry for bothering you this much

Last edited by Deleted member 387460,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you! :D
Then I am prepared to do this... I'll do it if it means I can revive my 3ds if i get the bootrom error code of death.
..Sorry for this, but juuust one last question, I promise.
Are there any reports of the frankenfirmware of 11.0/10.4? i.e. has it been tested?

^_^ i'm sorry for bothering you this much
The blue screen error generally means the bootrom is unable to access the NAND at all. Something has to be seriously broken (hardware-wise) for that error to appear. Nothing a hardmod can fix, I'm afraid. Except the blue screen error you get when the SD reader is connected of course :P
And sure, it wouldn't be in Plailect's guide if it wasn't tested. You won't keep it like that for long anyways, only until you can run sysupdater to complete the downgrade.

Deleted member 387460

superuser
OP
Trophies
XP
The blue screen error generally means the bootrom is unable to access the NAND at all. Something has to be seriously broken (hardware-wise) for that error to appear. Nothing a hardmod can fix, I'm afraid. Except the blue screen error you get when the SD reader is connected of course :P
And sure, it wouldn't be in Plailect's guide if it wasn't tested. You won't keep it like that for long anyways, only until you can run sysupdater to complete the downgrade.
Many thanks to you!
You've cleared up a lot for me, I appreciate it.

KillzXGaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Citra won't read your entire nand. You even need to decrypt most of it anyways and have it in a .romfs format. Its weird and even so it won't support background nand functions and is very incomplete.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...