ROM Hack Using Action Replay codes with patched Chrono trigger ROM

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hope this isn't duplicated elsewhere..............

I've been trying to use the Action Replay cheats for Chrono Trigger DS on my R4, I was using a US ROM patched with DSATM using the codes found elsewhere on GBAtemp. Unfortunately because the patched ROMs are trimmed, the R4 Action Replay function won't match the ROM to the cheats in the CodeJunkies database. I tried using a clean (unpatched ROM) and it worked, but when I used the cheated .sav file I created on a patched ROM the game froze as soon as I tried to leave the area I was on. For some reason using DSATM to create a trained ROM with all the cheats in it wouldn't work for me either. Anyhow, I didn't give up, and for those who have both slot 1 and slot 2 devices here's my solution:

You need:

1 clean (unpatched) Chrono Trigger DS ROM (US or JAP, I'm pretty sure they are identical)
1 patched (Anti Piracy FIX) Chrono Trigger DS ROM
A slot 1 flash device (I used R4 SDHC) (must have Action Replay option)
A slot 2 flash device (I used G6 Flash 4G)

First put the clean ROM on the slot 1 device and ensure you have the latest cheat codes in the Action Replay CHEAT.DAT file.

Next put the patched ROM on your slot 2 card.

Boot your DS with the slot 1 device and activate the cheats you want, (I recommend loading up on strength capsules etc. and maxing out Crono's HP/MP). Then save your game before the first portal where the clean rom locks up.

Copy the .sav (or whatever your card creates) onto your PC, make sure it has exactly the same file name as the patched ROM on your slot 2 device.

Use the savegame converter website: http://shunyweb.info/convert.php# to convert the slot 1 save to the right format for your slot 2 device (the G6 uses .0, .1, .2 suffixes).

Copy your new save file(s) to your slot 2 device.

Boot slot 2 device in DS and the save should be there with all your newly created loot.

Hope this helps some people, it worked fine for me, although I actually used my slot 2 G6 save at the "What Lies Beyond" chapter, converted it to .sav, cheated the hell out of it on my R4 and then converted back to G6 format, I would hope it will work with new games as well though.

Note: Interestingly I used a US clean ROM and a JAP patched ROM with no problems whatsoever, leading me to believe that both ROMS are identical and only the EU ROM will be different because of more localization options.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Or you can use the cheats here http://cheats.gbatemp.net on a clean, unpatched ROM as the cheat database contains a piracy check bypass cheat. If you do want to or need to used a patched rom, INSTEad of going through all the work above, why not just use R4CCE to edit the cheat file with the patched Game's Game ID so the cheats show up for it? Only takes like a minute to do.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well that definitely sounds easier! I'm kind of new to this so just figured it out for myself. Is there an R4 CCE tutorial anywhere on the site?

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, I have it working now. Strangely, though although my R4 SDHC recognizes a CHEAT.DAT file I created from a CodeJunkies XML, it will not recognize the GBAtemp cheat database DAT file. Do I need Yasu's r4bugfix2? Will it work on an R4 SDHC with the 1.25 kernel? Also I can't find the download link on Yasu's page, I just keep getting looped back to the homepage, can anyone provide me with the URL for the download (R4 Custom).

Thanks so much for the help, looking forwards to seeing what happens at the first Lavos encounter in CT when Crono has infinite HP
smile.gif

Daimones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mechagouki said:
Thanks, I have it working now. Strangely, though although my R4 SDHC recognizes a CHEAT.DAT file I created from a CodeJunkies XML, it will not recognize the GBAtemp cheat database DAT file. Do I need Yasu's r4bugfix2? Will it work on an R4 SDHC with the 1.25 kernel? Also I can't find the download link on Yasu's page, I just keep getting looped back to the homepage, can anyone provide me with the URL for the download (R4 Custom).

Thanks so much for the help, looking forwards to seeing what happens at the first Lavos encounter in CT when Crono has infinite HP
smile.gif

I am curious about this as well, have you found anything out Mecha?

Thanks in advance

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No change! Crono does not actually have infinite HP inside battles - it is just replenished after every battle. i survived Lavos' first attack (unusual) but he immediately attacks again so you still die. I also had the game hang on me when Lucca leaves the campfire and finds the portal in the woods after recovering Crono and doing the forest sidequest - anyone else experience this?

zantetsu2

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
hi mecha,

Q: Do I need Yasu's r4bugfix2? Will it work on an R4 SDHC with the 1.25 kernel?
Not sure. didnt work for me. and i'm still looking for a solution to this.

to get R4 Custom, go to Yasu's page http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/, do a ctrl-f and look for r4custom, its a link under Revolution for DS.
see if you have better luck on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning