Using a physical game cart between a hacked Switch and a clean one?

Dylan_Or_Something

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New to the Switch hacking scene and I'm unsure if this has been asked before. I haven't been able to find anything, and Reddit being down certainly doesn't help.

In my specific situation, I have a physical version of Smash Ultimate, played on a clean OLED Switch. I recently bought and hacked a base model one, with one of the goals being able to play the HDR mod. I figure I could use that card on the hacked Switch just fine.

But would I be able to still use that same cart on my unhacked Switch afterwards? I don't want to run unnecessary ban risks on the clean system, especially since Switch homebrew has a tendency to leave traces of itself all over the place. (I should also mention that I don't intend on transferring save data, I just don't want to try to procure another copy of this game, legal or otherwise, if I don't need to)

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thankies!!

x3n0

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The game cards used in the Switch are non-writable and save data is stored in the console's internal memory

No traces of the system you used them will get on the cart.

Evildood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple answer yes. Cart can go back and forth no problems, gone are the days of storing save information in the cart. You may have the default/incorrect settings on the hacked switch to even use the gamecart (see below for nogc config info)
You can get a homebrew called Nx Dump Tool
on the modded switch and simply dump and install all of your game cartridges on the modified console. I'm not sure if nxdt strips identifiers from the rip but as long as you aren't uploading the game you don't need to worry about that. With a little time and effort you can get LDN Mitm up and running and play games like smash with other homebrewers. The only real benefit to having a hacked switch and a stock one is being able to local play with yourself in some games like ACNH or Pokemon and be able to trade modded items to the legit console. Personally I would suggest checking the ini (or just put a game in the hacked ones slot and see if it reads) to make sure nogc is off, load into cfw make backups of ALL my games and save them somewhere like a pc with a NX backup manager like Nut/Tinfoil for easy access, then re enable nogc to save fuses in future updates(or at least remember to re enable it before an update) anything you need to setup you can almost always find a video guide on YouTube or just ask around here. Also since you're new to hacking Imma just go ahead and tell you now....Games dont work,Don't forget to update the sigpatches. Only folder on the sd that's sacred is the nintendo one that's games, saves etc and it shouldn't be deleted but everything else can and should be if you ever have issues do a fresh atmosphere install from their latest github, and you need to push the fusee payload that came with that atmosphere you installed or push the latest Hekate and then load fusee from there. It probably wouldn't hurt since you just got the hacked one to follow a guide for fresh install to get copies of keys and nand to backup somewhere.

Code:
Configuring "nogc" Protection
"nogc" is a feature provided by fusée-secondary which disables the Nintendo Switch's Game Card reader. Its purpose is to prevent the reader from being updated when the console has been updated, without burning fuses, from a lower firmware version. More specifically, from firmware versions 4.0.0 or 9.0.0 which introduced updates to the Game Card reader's firmware. By default, Atmosphère will protect the Game Card reader automatically, but you are free to change it.

To change its functionality, add the following line to the stratosphere section and change the value of X according to the following list:

[stratosphere]
nogc = X
1 = force-enable nogc, so Atmosphère will always disable the Game Card reader.
0 = force-disable nogc, so Atmosphère will always enable the Game Card reader.

Last edited by Evildood,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1