Hacking Using a borrowed gateway 3ds to install BBM?

oogawooga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I borrowed a gateway from a friend and was wondering if i can use that to install bbm because doing it via wifi does not work for me. Thanks!

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
No, because only Gateway Mode patches CIA signature checks (meaning it won't let you use unsigned CIA's like BBM), which requires a gateway card to be inserted. Classic Mode will not let you boot BBM.

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first did the GW downgrade method... I was able to get into Classic without having a red card... The launcher was 3.0.1

Reactions: Margen67

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Geez, a lot of misinformation in this thread, I think I people misunderstood your problem.

You've tried to use CFW right? But you can't get BBM to install using the buggy ctrclient thing.
In that case, yes you can use the GW to do it, just format the emunand from the GW menu (backup anything you don't want to lose on your SD card first), boot GW mode, install BBM, and then convert your emuNAND partition into the correct format for the CFW, which I assume you have already done before so you should know the process. If not there is a guide floating around somewhere, I can try to find it tomorrow if you need it.
Once that's all said and done, BBM should show up when you boot the CFW.
When I first did the GW downgrade method... I was able to get into Classic without having a red card... The launcher was 3.0.1
It won't work if the emunand is updated though, I believe it only works below 8.x

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Geez, a lot of misinformation in this thread, I think I people misunderstood your problem.

You've tried to use CFW right? But you can't get BBM to install using the buggy ctrclient thing.
In that case, yes you can use the GW to do it, just format the emunand from the GW menu (backup anything you don't want to lose on your SD card first), boot GW mode, install BBM, and then convert your emuNAND partition into the correct format for the CFW, which I assume you have already done before so you should know the process. If not there is a guide floating around somewhere, I can try to find it tomorrow if you need it.

It won't work if the emunand is updated though, I believe it only works below 8.x

ok... so below 8.x. that makes sense since it booted from 4.2

oogawooga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

NICEEEE id love the guide please thank you so much for the news!
EDITED: when you say correct format do you mean the title.db import.db thing?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no, classic mode will only work without the rad card if emunand is on 4.x-7.2, anything above that requires the red card to be inserted, also 7.x rom decryption is not available in classic mode if the red card was not inserted to boot into it, and finally even if you did set up emunand on 4.x-7.2, installed BBM it won't work in classic mode, all signature checks are left in place in classic mode, so you cant use unsigned content

what you could do on the other hand is set up emunand for 4.x, install BBM, then extract the emunand with BBM inserted into it with emunandtool then use that image to build the leaked 4.x only CFW emunand.....basically you end up with the free buggy cfw with dev menu ready to go, no need for the web client stuff

ninja'd :ph34r:

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could always borrow the gateway and install legit .CIA files to ur sysnand.at least you'd have a few vanes that way. If u have a Eur system you'd have a ton of good games actually :P

Reactions: Margen67

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
NICEEEE id love the guide please thank you so much for the news!
EDITED: when you say correct format do you mean the title.db import.db thing?
No, the CFW stores its emuNAND in a slightly different format than GW, so it has to be changed a bit.

Here is a guide that contains the instructions i mentioned, and a whole lot more. Check part 2, those are the instructions you want. Skip step 13 and above, but before step 4, install the BBM CIA using the BBM ROM on the GW cart, so that when you extract the emuNAND in step 4 it already has BBM on it ;)

Alternatively, you could simply not use emuNAND and just use PBT-CFW on sysNAND. That's the easiest route to take and has the upside of being the only way to run DSiWare.

oogawooga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the CFW stores its emuNAND in a slightly different format than GW, so it has to be changed a bit.

Here is a guide that contains the instructions i mentioned, and a whole lot more. Check part 2, those are the instructions you want. Skip step 13 and above, but before step 4, install the BBM CIA using the BBM ROM on the GW cart, so that when you extract the emuNAND in step 4 it already has BBM on it ;)

Alternatively, you could simply not use emuNAND and just use PBT-CFW on sysNAND. That's the easiest route to take and has the upside of being the only way to run DSiWare.

Uh i dont see the guide aha, either its not there or im blind.

oogawooga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoops. Typed that in a rush and seems I forgot to paste the link. Here you go:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-4-5-sysnand-4-5-cfw-9-4-emunand-without-gateway.378721/

Hi i tried your method and it didn't work. Is there something i did wrong? The only way i can see the present is if I enter gatewaymode, was i supposed to unwrap it before extract the nand?

1. Remove the 9.2 emuNAND card from your 3DS. Now, take out your 4.5 card (the other one). Format it so there is no data on it. Then, drop Gateway's Launcher.dat on it.
2. Boot into the profile exploit using the same method as earlier. Navigate to "Format emuNAND" again and run it.
3. Once it's complete, remove the SD Card and plug it into your computer.
4. Install BBM.CIA by first booting into gateway mode (make sure your gateway card has both bbm.cia and bmm.3ds). All your cias you want to install should be on sd card.
5. Run the emuNand tool you downloaded earlier and press “Extract emuNand”. Save the file as emuNand.bin somewhere.
6. Now, drag the emuNand.bin onto the bat file that was downloaded. After a while, a resulting REDNAND.bin will appear.
7. In the emuNand tool, press “Inject NAND into emuNAND”. Select the REDNAND.bin file, and just ignore the warnings about not finding NAND.bin.
8. After it’s done, delete everything on the SD card. It should only be a LAUNCHER.DAT file that you have to delete.
9. Now, copy everything from the SD Card folder in Palantine CFW onto the SD card. Delete the launcher.dat, and rename the launcher_gw.dat to launcher.dat
10. Insert the SD card into the console and boot up. It will create software management information. Take the SD card out again and open it on your computer.
11. Now, in your SD card, there should be a Nintendo 3DS folder. Open it, and open the folder inside that. There should be another, so open that too. You should see a exdata folder.
12. Make a new folder (not inside the exdata folder, but in the same directory as it) called “dbs”. Go into the folder and make a blank text file, named “title.db” or “import.db”. Doesn’t matter which.
13. Insert the SD back into the system and go into Settings —> Data Management —> Software. It’ll ask to reset your software management information, so allow it to do so.

14. Now, go into Other —> Profile. Hold down the L button, and tap DS Profile. If all goes well, the bottom screen will flash white and the CFW will load. If not, simply reboot the system by holding down power and trying again. Make sure to hold L while you do it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi i tried your method and it didn't work. Is there something i did wrong? The only way i can see the present is if I enter gatewaymode, was i supposed to unwrap it before extract the nand?

1. Remove the 9.2 emuNAND card from your 3DS. Now, take out your 4.5 card (the other one). Format it so there is no data on it. Then, drop Gateway's Launcher.dat on it.
2. Boot into the profile exploit using the same method as earlier. Navigate to "Format emuNAND" again and run it.
3. Once it's complete, remove the SD Card and plug it into your computer.
4. Install BBM.CIA by first booting into gateway mode (make sure your gateway card has both bbm.cia and bmm.3ds). All your cias you want to install should be on sd card.
5. Run the emuNand tool you downloaded earlier and press “Extract emuNand”. Save the file as emuNand.bin somewhere.
6. Now, drag the emuNand.bin onto the bat file that was downloaded. After a while, a resulting REDNAND.bin will appear.
7. In the emuNand tool, press “Inject NAND into emuNAND”. Select the REDNAND.bin file, and just ignore the warnings about not finding NAND.bin.
8. After it’s done, delete everything on the SD card. It should only be a LAUNCHER.DAT file that you have to delete.
9. Now, copy everything from the SD Card folder in Palantine CFW onto the SD card. Delete the launcher.dat, and rename the launcher_gw.dat to launcher.dat
10. Insert the SD card into the console and boot up. It will create software management information. Take the SD card out again and open it on your computer.
11. Now, in your SD card, there should be a Nintendo 3DS folder. Open it, and open the folder inside that. There should be another, so open that too. You should see a exdata folder.
12. Make a new folder (not inside the exdata folder, but in the same directory as it) called “dbs”. Go into the folder and make a blank text file, named “title.db” or “import.db”. Doesn’t matter which.
13. Insert the SD back into the system and go into Settings —> Data Management —> Software. It’ll ask to reset your software management information, so allow it to do so.

14. Now, go into Other —> Profile. Hold down the L button, and tap DS Profile. If all goes well, the bottom screen will flash white and the CFW will load. If not, simply reboot the system by holding down power and trying again. Make sure to hold L while you do it.
GW mode emuNAND should no longer work once you inject the patched Rednand.bin file. Did you use a separate SD card for Rednand? If so did you remember to copy the "Nintendo 3DS" folder onto the other card? It contains the installed BBM. ;)

oogawooga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GW mode emuNAND should no longer work once you inject the patched Rednand.bin file. Did you use a separate SD card for Rednand? If so did you remember to copy the "Nintendo 3DS" folder onto the other card? It contains the installed BBM. ;)

aha well you did say follow 1-13 and step 8 says "8. After it’s done, delete everything on the SD card. It should only be a LAUNCHER.DAT file that you have to delete." Alrighty ill try this again =P

oogawooga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay well the CIA is showing up now, but when i run it i get an error saying: "An error has occured. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again."

EDIT: this was the guide i used to convert

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Okay well the CIA is showing up now, but when i run it i get an error saying: "An error has occured. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again."

EDIT: this was the guide i used to convert

You shouldn't need to convert BBM, there is a CIA already included in the download. If you convert it to CIA manually it might not work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1