Using a 3DS and 3DSController with the Dolphin emulator

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Knight of Time, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Knight of Time
    OP

Knight of Time Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Canada
    Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the best area to have this topic, but I have a question about 3DSController that has me really, really curious.

I sometimes like to use my 3DS and that application to play emulators on the computer, but there is one particular emulator I wish I had more success with in regards to the Circle Pad...namely Dolphin (the GameCube/Wii emulator).

When playing a GameCube game where I emulated the Control Stick using the Circle Pad, I can't seem to use the Circle Pad to make the gentle movements I can make with the GameCube controller's Control Stick when I have it partially tilted in one direction (in other words, if I play a game such as one of the 3D Legend of Zelda games using my 3DS to emulate the GameCube controller, I have a harder time with the Circle Pad when it comes to stuff that is easier to reach or hit with precise aim (such as Hookshot targets or faraway foes I cannot target). Has anyone played a 3D game in Dolphin using a 3DS and 3DSController, and had the same problem? It would be nice if I was able to find a good solution other than using my GameCube controller (and the GameCube to USB adapter I have) with the emulator.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

LucarioWolf likes this.
  2. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Are the analog controls mapped to a keyboard?

Last edited by Robz8, Mar 26, 2017
  3. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Go into the controls settings and show us what happens if you slightly tilt the stick. Or just show us your entire dophin controller menu to just look at.

4. Knight of Time
    OP

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah, I have every button on the GameCube represented by a keyboard key being used by 3DSController.

I don't think I'll bother with a screenshot, but I can explain some things here. Tilting the Circle Pad slightly has no effect; it seems I have to tilt it all the way in the desired direction for it to work in Dolphin. For a moment, I thought that the Circle Pad emulating the Control Stick would be able to work much like how the Circle Pad works in Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire when you're trying to tiptoe, but I guess that might not be the case here.

5. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Please, just use the windows snip tool to screenshot. I want to make sure.

6. Knight of Time
    OP

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Canada
    Okay, okay, I'll upload a screenshot. I had to assign 1, 2, 3, and 4 to the Circle Pad to make it work with Dolphin.

In this screenshot, I had the Circle Pad in the top right position.

. dolphinwith3dscontrollerused.PNG

7. Bryguy5849

Bryguy5849 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    You need to setup vJoy.

8. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    See, this is why i wanted you to take a screenshot. Of course you have no analog control, because you set up the circle pad to simulate the 1,2,3 and 4 keys. Now take a second to think about this logically. If you pressed the 3 key on the keyboard, but not all the way, would mario start tiptoeing? Now obviously no, keys cannot do this. What you need to do is install vjoy, go into your 3dscontroller.cfg which is in the same directory as the .Exe file, and set up the sticks and buttons into controller buttons instead of keys. For example, A would be joy1.

9. Knight of Time
    OP

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Canada
    Ah okay. I installed vjoy today, but I'm a little lost on (1) how to make it work properly with 3DSController, and (2) what configuration I should use in vjoy's configuration application. So yeah, could you give me a more detailed walkthrough, please? I saw something in vjoy about needing to restart the computer if I make certain changes in the configuration, is this something I'll need to do?

10. Bryguy5849

Bryguy5849 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    You have to A. Start the 3dsctroller client after you start dolphin and B. In your 3dscontroller.cfg file, the circle pad needs to be joystick1, the c stick needs to be joystick2 and the rest of the buttons, do vjoy1, vjoy2, etc. you also need to open the vjoy config and setup hat switches for the dpad, and yes that requires a restart.