USBLoader GX freezes after loading a game?

captiveofchrist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a Wii u and installed Homebrew Channel to V-Wii

Got all the good stuff on it. USB Loader GX for some reason hates my USB HDD

Let me tell you why this is puzzling. I went from a Wii that used this drive with USB Loader GX flawlessly.

However, on the Wii u a lot of the time it freezes on "Initializing HDD" and if it does load Ill load up a game like Wii sports, get to the intro screen hit the A+B buttons and the music will stop, and the game will freeze a few seconds later. I plug my HDD back into my old Wii and it works!

So, the issue is the Wii U for some reason makes my HDD buggy?

I also tested a 32gb flash drive and it plays Wii Sports fine on the Wii U!

Also noticed my HDD clicks a few times really loud before something goes wrong on the Wii U but NEVER clicks on the Wii or my PC + Laptop (It is only 2 months old)

What gives? Is the Wii U not giving it enough power? Tried the HDD in all 4 ports same issue.

captiveofchrist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for this drive it doesnt have a Y split the cable is proprietary.

But for a laptop drive I tried after a Y split and it clicked every few seconds and wasn’t detected. Yes the data portion was on the top USB slot

I also tried a USB C to USB drive i no longer use, same thing

I just find it odd how my main drive works perfectly on the Wii which is even less powered ports but not at all on the Wii U/vWii

Looks like I have to buy some flash drives I guess

Would the Wii U be able to read 500gb flash drives?

Thank you for trying to help.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Normaly the HDD from Wii should also work on the WiiU.
- If u search the Forum, u will get a lot of results for not recognized hdd with usb loader gx and troubleshootings.
- Only the two backports are supported by GX Loader. It needs to be configured wich port, 0 is upper, 1 is lower port.
- Dont use USB Sticks or flashcardadapter on it.
- Wich USB Loader gx Version u use? The latest as mod v7 gives best compatibility for hdd.

Cios on the vWii should be this:
vIOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
vIOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Zugriff
vIOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug, NAND Zugriff
vIOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug, NAND Zugriff
vIOS251[58] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug, NAND Zugriff

Last edited by Sypherone,

captiveofchrist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- If u search the Forum, u will get a lot of results for not recognized hdd with usb loader gx and troubleshootings.
- Only the two backports are supported by GX Loader. It needs to be configured wich port, 0 is upper, 1 is lower port.
- Wich USB Loader gx Version u use? The latest as mod v7 gives best compatibility for hdd.

I put the Wii SD card in the Wii U and tried loading USB GX. This time the HDD clicked once the wall of games appeared. (I only have about 9 games since I only use my own wii rips). I find it fascinating that whenever I swap something out it freezes at a new point. Here is the version I have on my Wii U Sd card

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
Last edited by captiveofchrist,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try this one
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/usbloadergx_r1272_mod_v7-7z.271863/

Also try latest gx forwarder for vwii with ahbprot.
https://archive.org/download/MarioCubeLite/WADs/Forwarders/USB Loader GX Forwarders/

If still freezes, try different loader and game ios inside the gx configuration.

And if still dont work, try a different Loader like wiiflow or Configurable USB Loader. If the games run fine with them, its gx loader configuration problem.
Else it says there is something wrong on your vWii. Then best check hack tutorial again and check that all files are in the right Place on the SDcard. Give the directorys of the vWii a different icon to differ from WiiU`s one.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: captiveofchrist

captiveofchrist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this one
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/usbloadergx_r1272_mod_v7-7z.271863/

Also try latest gx forwarder for vwii with ahbprot.
https://archive.org/download/MarioCubeLite/WADs/Forwarders/USB Loader GX Forwarders/

If still freezes, try different loader and game ios inside the gx configuration.

And if still dont work, try a different Loader like wiiflow or Configurable USB Loader. If the games run fine with them, its gx loader configuration problem.
Else it says there is something wrong on your vWii. Then best check hack tutorial again and check that all files are in the right Place on the SDcard. Give the directorys of the vWii a different icon to differ from WiiU`s one.

I swapped the usb hdd for a new mini flash drive and downloaded the new version of USB loader you posted and now it works. I know everyone says not to use flash drives but if it isnt broke and works ill be fine. Thank you friend!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swapped the usb hdd for a new mini flash drive and downloaded the new version of USB loader you posted and now it works. I know everyone says not to use flash drives but if it isnt broke and works ill be fine. Thank you friend!
indeed, might as well keep using it if it's working.

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes that's why yours won't leave me alone