USB WBFS configuration stuffs on Mac

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by chavosaur, Sep 7, 2012.

Sep 7, 2012
  1. chavosaur
    OP

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    So I am a mac user. Have mountain lion currently installed.
    So here is my issue. I was able to configure the homebrew channel and everything on my wii, got everything prepared, was ready to go, was about to use USBloaderGX, then I read somewhere that I won't be able to run an ISO unless it is converted to a WBFS file, On a WBFS drive.
    So here are my main issues.
    1. Do I actually have to have WBFS or can i just play an ISO?
    2. If I do have to use WBFS, how do I turn my USB into an WBFS drive? Because so far, I have yet to find a way to do it, a software to turn it into a drive.
    3. I will also most likely need a program to convert .iso to .wbfs.
    EXTRA PROBLEM: Mountain lion is a jerk, and refuses to let you move any file of 4 gigs or more onto any USB/SD drive. Will having an ISO converted to WBFS make the file smaller? If not, can I move a .RAR file onto the USB and then extract it on that?

2. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I thinkkkkk WBFS manager MIGHT have zip support. Or rar support. I cant remember. What is your computers HDD formated to? are you using FAT?

3. chavosaur
    OP

pip
    United States
    Using FAT yes, i have an SD card that has all the proper files on it, now Im using A USB specifically for the games to use on USBGXLOADER. I just need to find a way to format it to WBFS on mac, because I have downloaded the only known WBFS program for mac, and it would not format my USB. I cant use anything windows either, because mountain lion won't allow me to use windows files until X11 updates. Which it hasnt yet.

4. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    first things first:
    you do NOT need a wbfs partition to load from usb
    *.wbfs files have noting to do with wbfs partitions from a users perspective

there are 3 common ways of storeing wii games:
    1. *.wbfs files on a normal filesystem (eg fat32, fat16, ntfs, ext2/3/4)
    2. *.iso files on a fs that supports large files (ntfs, ext2/3/4)
    3. a wbfs partition

I suggest you read some stickys around here
    for managing both wbfs partitions or *.wbfs files I recommend wiimms wwt/wit toolset

1 person likes this.
  5. chavosaur
    OP

pip
    United States
    Well, now my only problem is moving a file larger then 4gigs onto my usb, as my mac wont allow it onto a fat drive.
    Will USBLOADERGX read .rar?
    Or will I need to turn the iso into a .ciso?

6. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I would suggest using Wii Backup Manager to convert/move to usb, but I don't think macs can use it.
    I did find this:
    Mac OS X Users - Thanks to Narse1979 you can now format your USB HDD on a Mac. There are 3 options for following this guide on a Mac.
    • Option 1 - Format your USB HDD following Narse's Mac OS X Formatting instructions - Move on to "Installing a Backup Loader" section - Then transfer your backups using "Wii Backup Fusion" Instructions to convert to .wbfs files.
    • Option 2 - Format your USB HDD following Narse's Mac OS X Formatting instructions - Move on to "Installing a Backup Loader" section - Then transfer your backups using OPTION 1 of the "Ripping/Copying" section.
    Mac OS Formatting - By Narse1979

**Big thanks to Narse1979 for this!! Go Here and Click THANKS!!**

1 - Connect your USB HDD to the Mac.
    • In some cases an initialize window will pop up when you connect the HDD
    • Click initialize and it will take you into Disk Utility - If it doesn't, then go to Disk Utility
    • In Disk Utility click on your USB HDD - Look at the bottom for "SMART STATUS" - "OK"
    • If it does not say "OK" - Go to Disk Utility --> Click "First Aid" tab --> Click "Verify" --> Click "Repair Permissions"
    • If an error appears click on Repair Permissions again and this error should now be gone
    [​IMG]

2 - Select the USB HDD you wish to format from the pane selection on the left.

[​IMG]

3 - Now select "Erase". Keep the same options for the Volume Format as pictured below.
    • Skip this step if your USB HDD is new and go to Step 4
    [​IMG]

• If you want to securely delete data from the partition(s) on your USB HDD then click "Security Options" and a pane will pop up.
    • Select the option that best suits you --> Click OK --> Now Click ERASE
    [​IMG]

4 - Click the "Partition" tab
    • Select how many partitions you want from the Volume Scheme drop down menu - Choose 1 Partition
    • If you want you can rename the partition - We have gone for "WII GAMES"
    • Select MS-DOS (FAT) from the format drop down menu.
    [​IMG]

5 - Now to remove any GPT partitions. Select "Options" and select the option pictured below --- Click OK.

[​IMG]

6 - Click Apply and let Disk Utility format your USB HDD to FAT32.

1 person likes this.
  7. chavosaur
    OP

pip
    United States
    Well, i have a wbfs file now, so Now I need to convert it into an iso file for use on a fat32 drive. HOWEVER, I cant move a file larger then 4gigs onto the USB.
    Is there anyway for me to be able to move the file onto the usb?
    Keep in mind, I am using A mac, I cannot use any way, shape, or form of windows files.
    I also cannot download any windows OS, and I cannot execute windows files using WINE.

8. ddetkowski

United States
    what size is that wbfs file? if smaller than 4GB, can you drag and drop it to the usb?
    Games need to be in a wbfs folder on your FAT32 formatted drive...

9. chavosaur
    OP

pip
    United States
    I can drag and drop the wbfs file just fine, the problem is my mac wont recognize a WBFS formatted USB. Neither will the WBFS manager for mac.

10. ddetkowski

United States
  11. chavosaur
    OP

pip
    United States
    I have formatted it to FAT32 and tried to use it on all of the loaders I stated earlier, but because the game is a WBFS file, it seems like the loaders can't see it.
    USBLoaderGX won't find my game, NeoGamma will not run it or CFGUSBLoader, beause they say the The USB is not WBFS formatted.

12. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    I don't know about neogamma but both GX an CFG support loading from fat32
    you can simply rip you games with GX or CFG and never have to do anything from osx

13. oggzee

Member oggzee GBAtemp Addict

Slovenia
    You don't need a WBFS formatted drive. Use FAT32 format. Then copy the .wbfs files in the wbfs folder on that drive.
    The wbfs files and path should follow one of these naming conventions:

\wbfs\GAMEID.wbfs
    \wbfs\Title [GAMEID].wbfs
    \wbfs\Title [GAMEID]\GAMEID.wbfs
    \wbfs\GAMEID_Title\GAMEID.wbfs

Or just install the game from the loader as it was suggested. (But format the druve to FAT32 first)
    note, for conversion from iso to .wbfs file, you can use wit or wbfs_file tools, both support macosx.

14. chavosaur
    OP

pip
    United States
    Well i have a new question now.
    I am attempting to install My copy of super mario galaxy to my usb using USBLoaderGX. However, when I hit install game, it begins to install for a couple of seconds, then freezes. I can still move the cursor, but I cannot cancel the install, and the install wont continue. Its stuck at like 1.03%.

15. Tsundain
    This message by Tsundain has been removed from public view by raulpica, Oct 3, 2013, Reason: One YEAR necrobump. Jeez, read the last post date, would you? -rp.
    Oct 3, 2013