Hacking USB Loader Questions

Anubis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm thinking of buying an external hard drive so I can start using the USB Loader, but before I do that, I have a few questions.
I've read the compatibility Wiki and Western Digital 250 GB My Passport Essential seems to be working, still, I'd like to ear it from someone that owns one and is using it with the loader, also, I'd like to know if it supports NTFS.
I've seen a lot of loaders in .dol format, and most of them allow extra files like covers and configurations, my second question is, can I turn this .dol into a channel, and will the loader still load the cover and configuration files off the SD Card?
And my last question, I still don't understand the whole point of "installing" games with the loader, I mean, you have to put the ISO's on the external drive and they should automatically show up on the loader, so, what's the point of installing? Where are they being installed? Can't I just run them directly from the drive? Because it seems like a pain in the ass spend 10 minutes installing a game every time I want to change game.

Thank you.

Jetpac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you only install the game once and thet is when you put it onto the drive.
i.e Put the disc in the wii > boot Usb loader > Install game > profit0

Anubis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Jetpac said:
you only install the game once and thet is when you put it onto the drive.
i.e Put the disc in the wii > boot Usb loader > Install game > profit0

From what you're saying, I only have to install games if I want to install them from a disc, right?
If I just put the ISO's on the drive I never have to install anything.

newunit13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a Western Digital 500GB and it works fine.. dunno about the 250. No, you will not use NTFS, when you set it up on the Wii it will format the drive to WBFS which isn't readable by your computer unless you use a WBFS manager. "Installing" the game is transferring the ISO from the disc (or from your computer if you are using a manager) to the hard drive, and you only do it once for each game.

As for turning the DOL into a channel, most I've read find it easier/better to use a forwarder instead? Not really sure on this one.

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
From what you're saying, I only have to install games if I want to install them from a disc, right?

You can either load the game from the disk using the wii, OR use WBFS Manager 2.5 and put the iso onto the h/d that way which is faster and you can do multiple games at once.

Once the game has been loaded to the h/d thats it no more disks needed as the game is saved on your h/d and playes from there and you may find loading times faster :-)

paul

newunit13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read about people using multiple partitions on their drives, and having one WBFS and the other FAT32 though... you games would go on the WBFS partition and other brew would go on the FAT partition.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
newunit13 said:
I have read about people using multiple partitions on their drives, and having one WBFS and the other FAT32 though... you games would go on the WBFS partition and other brew would go on the FAT partition.
Don't forget to make the first partition to a FAT, and the second to a WBFS. Otherwise, this won't work...

Anubis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
newunit13 said:
I use a Western Digital 500GB and it works fine.. dunno about the 250. No, you will not use NTFS, when you set it up on the Wii it will format the drive to WBFS which isn't readable by your computer unless you use a WBFS manager. "Installing" the game is transferring the ISO from the disc (or from your computer if you are using a manager) to the hard drive, and you only do it once for each game.

As for turning the DOL into a channel, most I've read find it easier/better to use a forwarder instead? Not really sure on this one.

paul3100 said:
QUOTEFrom what you're saying, I only have to install games if I want to install them from a disc, right?

You can either load the game from the disk using the wii, OR use WBFS Manager 2.5 and put the iso onto the h/d that way which is faster and you can do multiple games at once.

Once the game has been loaded to the h/d thats it no more disks needed as the game is saved on your h/d and playes from there and you may find loading times faster :-)

paul

Thanks, only one question left, the one about the channel, anyone else has any idea?

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
newunit13 said:
Don't forget to make the first partition to a FAT, and the second to a WBFS. Otherwise, this won't work...

Thats where i was going wrong and thought it was just broken usb support in the apps i was using! makes the wii a bit more like a pc with all the stuff you can store and run from the wii now :-)

paul

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Anubis said:
Thanks, only one question left, the one about the channel, anyone else has any idea?
Why shouldn't it? Works without any problems...but you should maybe get a forwarder Channel, instead of injecting the USBLoader dol...so much Updates...you don't want to make a new Channel with every Update, won't you
wink.gif
?

@paul3100: Happily Media comes first for me
tongue.gif
. So I never had this problem...
wink.gif

Anubis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Blue-K said:
Anubis said:
Why shouldn't it? Works without any problems...but you should maybe get a forwarder Channel, instead of injecting the USBLoader dol...so much Updates...you don't want to make a new Channel with every Update, won't you
wink.gif
?

tongue.gif
wink.gif

Forwarder Channel? Never head of it, how do I make/get one?

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Anubis said:
Blue-K said:
Anubis said:
wink.gif
?

tongue.gif
wink.gif

Forwarder Channel? Never head of it, how do I make/get one?
It automaticly loads the boot.dol from a location. So you just have to exchange the .dol, instead of making a new Channel and install it.

DOL for injecting:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144423&st=0

WADs:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147319

http://www.yafaze.com/wii/files/USB_LOADER_FORWARDER.rar

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=148345

There are many more, just search around a bit...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1