• Replies 29,367
  • Likes 48

Chunbe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
The loader has no effect on the controller compatibility.
It launches the game, then the game initialize the input (controllers, wiimotes, etc.), if it's a wii game there's nothing the loader can do.
unless you use a wireless controller, I think you need to plug it before launching the loader.

The thing is when I use the original Brawl disc, the GC controller works fine but after installing it to my HDD (using CleanRip and Wii Backup Manager) and loading it, the controller doesn't work even when plugged in beforehand. Any idea what could cause this?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if the GC controller is also managed by the IOS, maybe reinstall it ? try a different slot first (250 for example) to see if there's an improvement.
If not, then I don't have any idea. the game should behave the same way from disc or USB. the console is not aware that it's not on disc, and the game's data and code are not different.

Chunbe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
OK, after testing things are getting stranger. The black screen on return from home and the GameCube controller issue are linked. Any games that supports GameCube controllers doesn't detect them anymore and also can't return from Home Menu without black screening. Tested with Brawl, Fire Emblem, and Sin & Punishment. No idea how this could have happened. Same thing in Wiiflow. The only two causes I can think of left is the cios or Nintendont (the only other thing I've updated recently besides GX)

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, after testing things are getting stranger. The black screen on return from home and the GameCube controller issue are linked. Any games that supports GameCube controllers doesn't detect them anymore and also can't return from Home Menu without black screening. Tested with Brawl, Fire Emblem, and Sin & Punishment. No idea how this could have happened. Same thing in Wiiflow. The only two causes I can think of left is the cios or Nintendont (the only other thing I've updated recently besides GX)

Do you have a nincfg.bin on your drive? If so, try deleting that. Something with MaxPads or native controls may have gotten screwed up.

Also, are you sure you don't have the wrong GX channel installed? It has to be the UNEO forwarder one. The UNLR full channel is no longer supported has caused a lot of confusion in the past.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
nintendont wouldn't have any effect on Wii games. as it's a homebrew and not an installed system file.

like you said, it could be an issue with the IOS.
did you try using a different slot ? 250 instead of 249 for example, if 249 is badly installed (it happens!), there are chance that 250 is correctly installed.
if 250 helps, then reinstall 249 (or not... you don't need it, always use 250)

if the IOS has no effect, I don't know what's causing it.

Do you have a real controller, or a third party controller? a wired or wireless one?

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is when I use the original Brawl disc, the GC controller works fine but after installing it to my HDD (using CleanRip and Wii Backup Manager) and loading it, the controller doesn't work even when plugged in beforehand. Any idea what could cause this?
I remember having compatibility issues with Brawl. I eventually learned that the problem was because it was a Dual-Layer game, with multiple game partitions, and the app I was using at the time wasn't grabbing everything off the disc.

To fix it, I used CleanRip, which I noticed you also mentioned using. But I figured I'd comment anyway with the size of my .iso, so you could have some comparision. The size Wii Backup Manager is giving me for mine is 7.29GB. The only reason why it seems like it could be an .iso issue is because you mentioned the game working fine when playing off the actual disc.

Last edited by portugeek,

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
portugeek: I think you currently can't set IOS58 for the game's IOS in the settings.
I will have to modify that. there's nothing you can do I think, except run the homebrew from the homebrew menu instead of using a channel. it's a forwarder, so your dol is on SD (or usb?)
load HB menu, find your homebrew and launch it.
Yeah, that's currently how I've been running the homebrew with the problematic forwarders. I also figured out that 2 of the 4 non-working forwarders were probably my fault. I had previously edited them to add different bkg music, but I never noticed that there was a problem because they still worked fine from the System Menu.

I decided to install the original forwarders (unchanged by me) and USBLoaderGX now loads them just fine. I'm not completely sure why the other two aren't working. I never edited them to begin with.

Chunbe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Apparently I managed to fix my issues but not in the way I expected. I noticed my date/time got corrupt and set itself to the max year (2143 something I think?). When I fixed it and retried my games, my GC controller started working again and no blackscreen on return from Home Menu.

So......yeah, really odd bug.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I decided to install the original forwarders (unchanged by me) and USBLoaderGX now loads them just fine. I'm not completely sure why the other two aren't working. I never edited them to begin with.
Ah, I wouldn't have thought it was the forwarder fault as you said it worked from system menu.
something must be different, I wonder what.
Which tool did you used to open/repack the wad?
which tool to generate the BG music, or the app files?

@Chunbe :
yeah, that's a strange bug indeed.
So Nintendo decided they will drop gamecube controller support in 2100 ! :lol:

well, glad you found the issue and could fix it.
Thanks for reporting it too, it could help other users with the same issue.

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I wouldn't have thought it was the forwarder fault as you said it worked from system menu.
something must be different, I wonder what.
Which tool did you used to open/repack the wad?
which tool to generate the BG music, or the app files?
I used CustomizeMii 3.11 for everything. I even used it to convert the audio. I'm not gonna pretend to know a whole lot about channel forwarders. :P I just remember modifying existing forwarders. I'd change the audio, and sometimes I'd change the artwork. I don't remember which "Startup IOS" or "NAND Loader" I would choose. And I'm pretty sure I would just select "Simple Forwarder."

Actually, on one of the forwarders I changed both the artwork and the audio file.. and that one loads up fine within USBLoaderGX.

If you were curious enough I could send you the problematic wad that I edited, If you feel like my mistakes could help narrow down the weird issue. :P

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no that's fine.
I don't think I can do anything, I was just curious about the tool you used, in case it always generates bad channels data.
But you said some are working fine, maybe it's a random issue. I just don't know why it works fine from system menu and not from usbgx.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
@Chunbe :
yeah, that's a strange bug indeed.
So Nintendo decided they will drop gamecube controller support in 2100 ! :lol:

well, glad you found the issue and could fix it.
Thanks for reporting it too, it could help other users with the same issue.
Heh, pretty weird, a friend of mine reported a while back his GC controller no longer worked on his Wii when using Nintendont despite it working fine on Wii games which support it, I couldn't figure out what the problem was, I'll tell him to check this maybe it'll fix his problem.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Chunbe It could be your Wii's internal battery died. They use the same button batteries as PC motherboards. It's behind a little door with a screw holding it closed on the edge of the console.

Reactions: portugeek

Fabi-O

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there any way in USBLoaderGX to switch the DM Progressive Patch On and Off in the general options with a shortcut?

I very often switch between a LCD TV which likes progressive best and an old PAL CRT TV, which only accept 576i, thats why.

Or is there maybe a way to let DIOS MIOS or Nintendont use the Video Mode the USBLoaderGX is currently using? So the “switch” would be automatical.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
all the settings have their global counterpart.
Check in the global settings, there's a shared settings section with nintendont and DM. the settings from that section affectc both DM and nintendont. I thought users who wanted to use progressive for their GC games would want it everytime, whatever the GC loader, so sharing the same setting makes less data to store and manage by the loader.

To use the "current" mode, set the video mode to :
AUTO = nintendont will select the best mode based on your current setup and game.
console = USBGX force the "current" mode and region.
disc = USBGX force the "current" mode and region based on disc region. <--- this is the best option after AUTO.

his GC controller no longer worked on his Wii when using Nintendont
if it doesn't work in nintendont, it's probably a nintendont settings (wrong maxpads, wrong native control ?)

Fabi-O

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Auto doesnt work for NTSC games (esp. Smash Bros. Melee) on the CRT TV for interlaced, neither does console or disc.

I have a PAL Wii.

ngs428

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan In my Nintendont v3.382 settings I have the Video Width setting increased to 684 so the game fills the entire width of the screen. When I load a game directly in nintendont the width adjusts properly. When I load via USBLoaderGX Rev1260 with Nintendont the width does not adjust. When the Nintendont screen initially splashes up it will typically show the incorrect width and then after a second adjust to the correct width. It is not doing this. It seemed like it used to work on 1259 and 3.380 or so.

EDIT: 3.385 behaves the same.

Also, when I perform the shutdown key press sequence when loading directly in nintendont it will take me to the homebrew menu. If I do the same key press sequence when loading in USBLoaderGX with Nintendont it will take me to the Wii home screen. It would be nice if it went to the HB screen. Is there a setting I am missing?

Last edited by ngs428,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Auto doesnt work for NTSC games (esp. Smash Bros. Melee) on the CRT TV for interlaced, neither does console or disc.
I have a PAL Wii.
If you have a PAL wii, AUTO should set the video to NTSC based on the Game's TitleID. if the loader doesn't do it, nintendont will. (at least it should).
I don't know why it doesn't work properly for you.

console : will set the video mode to PAL (don't use that option then)
disc : will set the video mode to NTSC for NTSC games, PAL for PAL games. it should retain the current interlaced/progressive option. (of course, don't enable "progressive patch" option which will force prog)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F