Hacking USB Loader GX (vWii) stopped working

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
@Cyan (And everybody else who might be experiencing this issue).
My setup:
Wii-U latest firmware (whichever it is at the time of writing)
USBLOADER GX (latest internal updater version) On SD card
HDD: WD elements model WDBUZG0010BBK (which I bought SPECIFICALLY because the compatibility table said it worked "flawlessly")
d2x-v10-beta52-vWii
loader using slot 249 (default)

My story is as follows, simple and to the point:
My *always worked flawlessly without a hitch* external HDD crapped out on me so I went and bought this new one (previous one was a no-name 2.0 enclosure with whatever drive I had at the moment) the new one, is obviously a WD 3.0 (so the issue appears to be with WD drives...)
I get "initializing usb device" and the console freezes (literally) on that screen (I have to pull the plug) UNLESS I connect the drive before launching the loader in which case it works perfectly fine (games load, I can even use sneek)
Any ideas?
Thanks.

*EDIT* Just to add, I bought a Y cable for the drive without even testing it beforehand. Just because better safe than sorry.

Last edited by sideskroll,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
can you try with IOS58?
that's the only thing I can change in the loader, loading with 58 first to force a spindown spinup and then reload to cIOS.

Last edited by Cyan,

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
can you try with IOS58?
that's the only thing I can change in the loader, loading with 58 first to force a spindown and then reload to cIOS.
Sure, and how do I do that?
Do I have to manually edit the xml or is the option available from within the loader itself?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
load the loader without the drive connected and edit the settings>loader settings>Loader's IOS. reboot.
it will edit the xml automatically.
then shutdown the wiiU and try again from the start.

Reactions: sideskroll

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
load the loader without the drive connected and edit the settings>loader settings>Loader's IOS. reboot.
it will edit the xml automatically.
then shutdown the wiiU and try again from the start.
That seems to have fixed the issue.
It does take a little bit more to load though... Or it feels like it at least.
Any ideas as to why that might be happening? What's the difference? And why was it previously working with the default config (with the old drive)?

Last edited by sideskroll,
Reactions: gamecaptor

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
cIOS are probably not properly initiating the new drives.
official IOS58 has a better ehci module (usb driver) and has more compatibility with exiting devices.

Booting with cIOS was fine with old drives, but it seems new drives have issues, while IOS58 work with both old and new drives.
IOS58 is slightly slower than IOS56, but it shouldn't be that much noticeable for drive init.
Maybe it has a longer "init sequence" which allow new drives to properly power up and spin up before reading partitions.

What I think could fix it is either add a temporisation at drive spinup, or force IOS58 at boot and reload to cIOS.
but IOS58 is also not always better, and it will add delays when users don't need it because cIOS works fine.
Maybe it could be an option only, but reading the config file is located on USB would require first an usb mounting.

If I had the issue myself, it would be easier to fix.
I guess I should buy a WD3.0?

Reactions: gamecaptor

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
cIOS are probably not properly initiating the new drives.
official IOS58 has a better ehci module (usb driver) and has more compatibility with exiting devices.

Booting with cIOS was fine with old drives, but it seems new drives have issues, while IOS58 work with both old and new drives.
IOS58 is slightly slower than IOS56, but it shouldn't be that much noticeable for drive init.
Maybe it has a longer "init sequence" which allow new drives to properly power up and spin up before reading partitions.

What I think could fix it is either add a temporisation at drive spinup, or force IOS58 at boot and reload to cIOS.
but IOS58 is also not always better, and it will add delays when users don't need it because cIOS works fine.
Maybe it could be an option only, but reading the config file is located on USB would require first an usb mounting.

If I had the issue myself, it would be easier to fix.
I guess I should buy a WD3.0?
Well, it IS a very good drive... And if by any chance you have an ASUS mobo it appears to be compatible with ASUS' own "usb 3 turbo boost" (or so it seems at least) cause the thing FLIES when loading files onto it.
So yeah, you could buy one to test and use it as a backup drive for your personal files if anything.
WDBUZG0010BBK-NESN, that's the model if you're interested.
And regarding my issue. Do I just leave it at ios 58 for the loader (I'm guessing I shouldn't change the game ios, right?) the slightly longer wait time is from the moment I launch the loader to the moment my games display. It is not HUGE by any means but definitely noticeable.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you have a lot of games, you might feel the speed difference with IOS58.
but like you said, it shouldn't be a lot longer.

keep the game's IOS to 249, or it will not boot wii games from USB.
the cIOs is used to redirect disc access to usb.

YoshiNurijumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you try with IOS58?
that's the only thing I can change in the loader, loading with 58 first to force a spindown and then reload to cIOS.

I had a problem trying to load my external hdd and that helped. THANK YOU.

My next problem is i get a black screen on every game i try. I have been looking around google and the forums....but nothing soild to help me fix this. Any suggestions or ideas to get the games to load??

BTW....your a effin beast

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
did you try another usbloader? wiiflow for example.
that will tell us if the issue is the loader (version, settings) or your setup (hardware, softmod).

if your drive is not externally powered, do you have a Y-cable ? it's needed on WiiU because one usb port doesn't provide enough power for one hdd, you need two usb for one hdd.

It could be that cIOS is not working correctly with that drive, and that's why only IOS58 can detect your drive.
If you have d2x v10-alt, reinstall d2x v10 (not alt, the r52) and try again. Be sure to connect the hdd on port 0 (back-top one on wiiu)

YoshiNurijumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you try another usbloader? wiiflow for example.
that will tell us if the issue is the loader (version, settings) or your setup (hardware, softmod).

if your drive is not externally powered, do you have a Y-cable ? it's needed on WiiU because one usb port doesn't provide enough power for one hdd, you need two usb for one hdd.

It could be that cIOS is not working correctly with that drive, and that's why only IOS58 can detect your drive.
If you have d2x v10-alt, reinstall d2x v10 (not alt, the r52) and try again. Be sure to connect the hdd on port 0 (back-top one on wiiu)

Holy S*** dude! Thats why you are a beast!!!

Okay...So my drive is powered by a USB hub. I know it works fine since I guess I can see the games in the list? LOL. I have tried WiiFlow and I get the same issues...black screen when i load any game. I believe I have the d2x v10-al installed. I dont remember...LOL. And yes...the top port in the back is plugged in..nothing else.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
does the hub only provides the power or also the data?
cIOS does not support hub, IOS58 does.
so, using IOS58 for the loader loads the drive, but when you try to launch a game it reloads to cIOS (to redirect game disc access to usb ISO), and then the hub is not supported anymore.

you can use the hub as additional power with the Y-cable, but you need to connect the drive's data line directly on port0.

Not working
Hubs are working only with IOS58. nintendont, emulators, etc. (not usbloaders)

usb -- hub ---- WiiU USB port0

possibly working

usb -- WiiU USB port0

Working
with a hub for additional power supply

/ ----------- power cord ----- hub
usb -- Y-cable
\ ---------- data cord ------ WiiU USB port0

With a second wiiu port for additional power supply

/ ----------- power cord ----- WiiU USB port 1 or 2 or 3
usb -- Y-cable
\ ---------- data cord ------ WiiU USB port0

YoshiNurijumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does the hub only provides the power or also the data?
cIOS does not support hub, IOS58 does.
so, using IOS58 for the loader loads the drive, but when you try to launch a game it reloads to cIOS (to redirect game disc access to usb ISO), and then the hub is not supported anymore.

you can use the hub as additional power with the Y-cable, but you need to connect the drive directly on port0.

Maybe you are right on that then.....Because the hub is AC powered...and plugs into the top of the WiiU. The Hdd is plugged into the hub with the usb cable......so i think you are right...power AND data...and thats why the loaders may not be working??

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, that's why.
don't connect the hub to the wiiu.
connect the drive in direct. you can use the hub for additional power like I displayed in the mini-graphic above if you want to keep your wiiu port free for another device.

YoshiNurijumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, that's why.
don't connect the hub to the wiiu.
connect the drive in direct. you can use the hub for additional power like I displayed in the mini-graphic above if you want to keep your wiiu port free for another device.

Okay...so no matter what....I NEED that Y-Cable huh? If thats the case...I should be getting one on Tuesday.....hopefully...LOL

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if it's a flashdrive, you can try to connect it directly to port0, sometime some drives don't need that much power to work.
just try, connect it and see if it works.

if it's a hdd, there's a high chance you need y-cable. it will usually make clicking noise if underpower.

YoshiNurijumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it's a flashdrive, you can try to connect it directly to port0, sometime some drives don't need that much power to work.
just try, connect it and see if it works.

if it's a hdd, there's a high chance you need y-cable. it will usually make clicking noise if underpower.

Yep...external WD 1tb hdd. And it clicks. So when I get that Y-Cable...I will update my post and if I need more help...Im gonna ask ya!

Thanks so much for your quick replies and helpful words!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no problem.
And sorry for all other users who were watching this thread for a solution, you got notifications but no solution (yet). unless using IOS58 can helps.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
@Cyan, I've noticed that launching GCN games take longer now than before (the screen stays on the gray NINTENDON'T background).
IT works eventually but it takes something like 10 seconds for the text (Nintendon't version etc) to even appear.
I don't recall it being the case before.
Could it be the new drive? The fact that I'm using ios58 to launch the loader or incompatibilities between GX and NINTENDONT? Do you have any idea? Or maybe I haven't played in a while and now it's "normal" for it to take that long?
Thanks.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The loader always reloaded IOS58 before launching Nintendont if you used cIOS, so if you use IOS58 now it should be even faster as it doesn't need to reload it before launching nintendont.
So, the only difference I can see if that drive is slower.
I think it's slow while inside nintendont, not to exit USBLoaderGX, which prove maybe that the drive need more time to init or mount its partition.

maybe the freeze issue is only a too small wait time at boot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la