USB Loader GX problems loading Gamecube games

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Darren_GC, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Darren_GC
    OP

Darren_GC Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2016
    Hello!

I've only just begun soft modding my Wii but have run into a confusing problem and i'm hoping someone here will be kind enough to point me in the right direction!

I've installed Homebrew and have the Wii rooms running fine through the USB loader. I have a partitioned USB drive - half running WBFS with Wii rooms the other half as FAT32 with a folder 'games' with all the gamecube roms in it. Each one in a separate folder with the Roms named 'game.iso'

When running the Wii games they work fine, but when I try to load a GC Rom I get a message that says:

Error: To run GameCube games with Dios Mios you need to set your 'main gamecube path' to an USB FAT32 partition.

I've tried setting my USB folders to USB 1 - but the games folder isn't located there it is at USB 3. so I also tried re formatting the USB drive to just one partition but can't seem to get anything to work. I can't seem to add a games folder to USB 1 even though the Fat32 formatted drive is the only USB drive / partition installed...

So i'm going round in circles at this point!

Any help would be awesome,

Thanks! :)

2. Darren_GC
    OP

Darren_GC Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2016
    Here is the Syscheck:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Are you sure you don't have a hidden partition ?
    if your FAT32 is USB3 it means it's the 3rd partition of the USB drive. (or the second partition if you have more than one HDD connected at the same time).

The loader mounts all found HDD and gives each partition a number : usb1 usb2 usb3 ... usb8 (up to 8 partitions can be mounted at the same time).

First thing:
    If you create a single partition on your drive, please make it FAT32 only.
    Don't use WBFS partition anymore. (wii games are working on a FAT32 partition now).

Second thing:
    I see the loader tells you about DIOS MIOS.
    Do you really want to use DIOS MIOS, or are you following old tutorial ? because DM is old and not very compatible.
    there are newer gamecube loaders, and the best one is Nintendont (working on Wii, Wiiu, SD, USB, FAT32, audio streaming compatible, Wiimote and other USB controller compatible, etc.)

If you really want DM, I'll help you.
    I just want to be sure this is what you want and not because you don't know the alternatives, before I help you more.

4. Darren_GC
    OP

Darren_GC Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2016
    HI,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :)

I've probably been following an older guide as there seem to be so many out there!

I've just tried using the USB drive formatted as FAT32 - no partitions. So far when I use this it is showing up as having two partitions - a USB 1 and a USB 2 - Even though there is only one USB drive with no partitions selected when I format it.

The USB partition section in the Hard Drive settings tab says USB 1 has a size of 0.20GB even though I've not partitioned the drive at all.... USB 2 is where all the game folders are...

If it helps I'm using a mac to format the drive - that shouldn't make a difference though I wouldn't have thought?

Thanks for your help, hopefully we can find a solution!

5. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    It's probably got an EFI partition on it. You could always use a live GParted USB to do it.

6. Darren_GC
    OP

Darren_GC Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2016
    OK, so I reformatted the USB drive using a master boot partition and the USB loader picked it up straight away when I set the right path for the Gamecube games. That problems solved!

Now, how do I use the same drive or a partition to store Wii games as well - as the FAT 32 format won't hole the larger file sizes of the Wii Roms?

7. JasonH

JasonH Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2016
    United States
    http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/downloads.html
    You have to use wii backup Manager because Fat 32 partitions cannot handle files over 4Gigs and the manager will split files automatically when transfered. As soon as you select the Hard Drive you want for Drive 2 it will automatically configure the wbfs file that everything will be located in. Simply select drive 1 as the drive with the files to be added then select drive 2 as the drive that will be added to. Then click the boxes in the left hand of each game. Then click the transfer button in the center of the drive 1 menu then select drive 2 and everything should be taken care of.

While your at it Check this out.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-4-the-masterpiece-pack-by-abz.336543/

Last edited by JasonH, Jul 27, 2016
  8. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    good that your drive is now working.
    for the Wii games, use the program he linked above. instead of using both "drive1" and "drive2" tabs, you can select a folder where you have your ISO on your computer using the "files" tab, and mount your Wii HDD on "drive1" tab. then, do the transfer the same way he explained above. (check the games on "files" tab and select transfer to drive1)

You didn't tell about the gamecube loading method.
    If you want the latest loader, with best compatibility, you should read about Nintendont. (look in the stickied thread on this forum)
    read the first post to learn how to install and use it.
    once installed (on your SD card or usb), don't forget to tell USBLoaderGX that you want to use Nintendont instead of MIOS. (settings>loader settings>gamecube mode)

9. Darren_GC
    OP

Darren_GC Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2016
    Great thanks!

I'll have to get a friend to format the Hard drive into 2 partitions on their PC I think as although I can format the USB drive to be FAT32 and WBFS on a mac I can't partition the USB drive into two without the Mac creating the 3rd USB section!

It all seems to work separately so if I can get it all onto the one USB drive then it would be great.

I tested both MIOS and Nintendont and both seemed to work fine but the MIOS versions was a little glitchy with a green bar.

One thing I have noticed is that Super Mario Sunshine seems to run fine when playing but any cutscenes stutter and the music gets distorted too - is there a way to make it run more smoothly?

Thank you all so much for the help so far!

10. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    why do you want different partitions?
    you can make a single partition, the Wii games will be located in a folder named "wbfs" and gamecube will be in a folder named "games".

Wii : usb:/wbfs/Title [ID]/ID.wbfs
    GC : usb:/games/Title [ID]/game.iso

Nintendont doesn't let you choose the partition to mount and will always use the first compatible it finds. so if you really want multiple partition, put Gamecube on the first one.
    If you are on Mac, instead of wiiBackupManager, you can use Wii Backup Fusion

About the game compatibility, be sure your partition is formated at least 32k/cluster
    64k/cluster will help a little with the game read speed and can prevent stuttering.

11. Darren_GC
    OP

Darren_GC Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2016
    Oh ok, thanks for that link i'd not seen that program before.

So if I format the USB drive to FAT 32 then just have the folder structure set up as you have said how do I transfer the Wii iso files onto the USB drive as its not formatted as a wmfs drive?

Sorry if thats an obvious question that i've missed!

12. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You don't need a WBFS drive anymore ... It's not needed for more than 5 years now !
    use the program (wii backup fusion on mac, wii backup manager on Windows) and it will copy the game to FAT32 drive. it will compress the game, if the game is more than 4GB it will cut the game in two files and the loader will load them without issue.

13. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    If you're using a flash drive or SD card you're going probably to get stuttering.

14. Darren_GC
    OP

Darren_GC Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2016
    Ok cool, thank you!

I'm just converting the first couple of iso's now to test it out - seems to be working now I've figured out the interface!

15. Darren_GC
    OP

Darren_GC Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2016
    So i've now tested the USB Drive using the setup you suggested above, and the Gamecube games seem to work perfectly but when I now launch the Wii games it just throws me back to the main Wii menu channels... Is there something I can check to now make the Wii games work again?!

Maybe I missed something?

I've named the files exactly like you have mentioned though so I'm not sure what it could be now?

16. JasonH

JasonH Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2016
    United States
    Are the games still in ISO File Extention because the wii backup Manager changes the File Extention by converting it to wbfs?(Not to be confused with WBFS format)
    If you are using mac like cyan said earlier there is another program for that. You cannot place isos on the drive and expect them to work right off hand. They have to be converted. Here is a link for the Mac version of the program
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/wiibafu/

Last edited by JasonH, Jul 28, 2016
  17. Darren_GC
    OP

Darren_GC Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2016
    Thank you all for your help!

Everything seems to be working perfectly now, both GC & Wii games all loading and playing great from the one USB drive. I should've found you guys first before following older guides! haha!

Many thanks :)