Hacking USB Loader GX problems loading Gamecube games

Darren_GC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello!

I've only just begun soft modding my Wii but have run into a confusing problem and i'm hoping someone here will be kind enough to point me in the right direction!

I've installed Homebrew and have the Wii rooms running fine through the USB loader. I have a partitioned USB drive - half running WBFS with Wii rooms the other half as FAT32 with a folder 'games' with all the gamecube roms in it. Each one in a separate folder with the Roms named 'game.iso'

When running the Wii games they work fine, but when I try to load a GC Rom I get a message that says:

Error: To run GameCube games with Dios Mios you need to set your 'main gamecube path' to an USB FAT32 partition.

I've tried setting my USB folders to USB 1 - but the games folder isn't located there it is at USB 3. so I also tried re formatting the USB drive to just one partition but can't seem to get anything to work. I can't seem to add a games folder to USB 1 even though the Fat32 formatted drive is the only USB drive / partition installed...

So i'm going round in circles at this point!

Any help would be awesome,

Thanks! :)

Darren_GC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here is the Syscheck:

SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: PAL
System Menu 4.3E (v514)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 07.14.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 126449131
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United Kingdom (110)
Boot2 v4
Found 88 titles.
Found 56 IOS on this console. 6 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS80 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS90 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[38+37] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, Beer Ticket
IOS245[37] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS246[38] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS247[53] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS248[55] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10 (DIOS MIOS 2.22)
Report generated on 07/27/2016.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are you sure you don't have a hidden partition ?
if your FAT32 is USB3 it means it's the 3rd partition of the USB drive. (or the second partition if you have more than one HDD connected at the same time).

The loader mounts all found HDD and gives each partition a number : usb1 usb2 usb3 ... usb8 (up to 8 partitions can be mounted at the same time).

First thing:
If you create a single partition on your drive, please make it FAT32 only.
Don't use WBFS partition anymore. (wii games are working on a FAT32 partition now).

Second thing:
I see the loader tells you about DIOS MIOS.
Do you really want to use DIOS MIOS, or are you following old tutorial ? because DM is old and not very compatible.
there are newer gamecube loaders, and the best one is Nintendont (working on Wii, Wiiu, SD, USB, FAT32, audio streaming compatible, Wiimote and other USB controller compatible, etc.)

If you really want DM, I'll help you.
I just want to be sure this is what you want and not because you don't know the alternatives, before I help you more.

Darren_GC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
HI,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :)

I've probably been following an older guide as there seem to be so many out there!

I've just tried using the USB drive formatted as FAT32 - no partitions. So far when I use this it is showing up as having two partitions - a USB 1 and a USB 2 - Even though there is only one USB drive with no partitions selected when I format it.

The USB partition section in the Hard Drive settings tab says USB 1 has a size of 0.20GB even though I've not partitioned the drive at all.... USB 2 is where all the game folders are...

If it helps I'm using a mac to format the drive - that shouldn't make a difference though I wouldn't have thought?

Thanks for your help, hopefully we can find a solution!

Darren_GC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, so I reformatted the USB drive using a master boot partition and the USB loader picked it up straight away when I set the right path for the Gamecube games. That problems solved!

Now, how do I use the same drive or a partition to store Wii games as well - as the FAT 32 format won't hole the larger file sizes of the Wii Roms?

JasonH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I reformatted the USB drive using a master boot partition and the USB loader picked it up straight away when I set the right path for the Gamecube games. That problems solved!

Now, how do I use the same drive or a partition to store Wii games as well - as the FAT 32 format won't hole the larger file sizes of the Wii Roms?

http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/downloads.html
You have to use wii backup Manager because Fat 32 partitions cannot handle files over 4Gigs and the manager will split files automatically when transfered. As soon as you select the Hard Drive you want for Drive 2 it will automatically configure the wbfs file that everything will be located in. Simply select drive 1 as the drive with the files to be added then select drive 2 as the drive that will be added to. Then click the boxes in the left hand of each game. Then click the transfer button in the center of the drive 1 menu then select drive 2 and everything should be taken care of.

While your at it Check this out.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-4-the-masterpiece-pack-by-abz.336543/

Last edited by JasonH,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
good that your drive is now working.
for the Wii games, use the program he linked above. instead of using both "drive1" and "drive2" tabs, you can select a folder where you have your ISO on your computer using the "files" tab, and mount your Wii HDD on "drive1" tab. then, do the transfer the same way he explained above. (check the games on "files" tab and select transfer to drive1)

You didn't tell about the gamecube loading method.
If you want the latest loader, with best compatibility, you should read about Nintendont. (look in the stickied thread on this forum)
read the first post to learn how to install and use it.
once installed (on your SD card or usb), don't forget to tell USBLoaderGX that you want to use Nintendont instead of MIOS. (settings>loader settings>gamecube mode)

Darren_GC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great thanks!

I'll have to get a friend to format the Hard drive into 2 partitions on their PC I think as although I can format the USB drive to be FAT32 and WBFS on a mac I can't partition the USB drive into two without the Mac creating the 3rd USB section!

It all seems to work separately so if I can get it all onto the one USB drive then it would be great.

I tested both MIOS and Nintendont and both seemed to work fine but the MIOS versions was a little glitchy with a green bar.

One thing I have noticed is that Super Mario Sunshine seems to run fine when playing but any cutscenes stutter and the music gets distorted too - is there a way to make it run more smoothly?

Thank you all so much for the help so far!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
why do you want different partitions?
you can make a single partition, the Wii games will be located in a folder named "wbfs" and gamecube will be in a folder named "games".

Wii : usb:/wbfs/Title [ID]/ID.wbfs
GC : usb:/games/Title [ID]/game.iso

Nintendont doesn't let you choose the partition to mount and will always use the first compatible it finds. so if you really want multiple partition, put Gamecube on the first one.
If you are on Mac, instead of wiiBackupManager, you can use Wii Backup Fusion

About the game compatibility, be sure your partition is formated at least 32k/cluster
64k/cluster will help a little with the game read speed and can prevent stuttering.

Darren_GC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh ok, thanks for that link i'd not seen that program before.

So if I format the USB drive to FAT 32 then just have the folder structure set up as you have said how do I transfer the Wii iso files onto the USB drive as its not formatted as a wmfs drive?

Sorry if thats an obvious question that i've missed!

why do you want different partitions?
you can make a single partition, the Wii games will be located in a folder named "wbfs" and gamecube will be in a folder named "games".

Wii : usb:/wbfs/Title [ID]/ID.wbfs
GC : usb:/games/Title [ID]/game.iso

Nintendont doesn't let you choose the partition to mount and will always use the first compatible it finds. so if you really want multiple partition, put Gamecube on the first one.
If you are on Mac, instead of wiiBackupManager, you can use Wii Backup Fusion

About the game compatibility, be sure your partition is formated at least 32k/cluster
64k/cluster will help a little with the game read speed and can prevent stuttering.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't need a WBFS drive anymore ... It's not needed for more than 5 years now !
use the program (wii backup fusion on mac, wii backup manager on Windows) and it will copy the game to FAT32 drive. it will compress the game, if the game is more than 4GB it will cut the game in two files and the loader will load them without issue.

Darren_GC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok cool, thank you!

I'm just converting the first couple of iso's now to test it out - seems to be working now I've figured out the interface!

Darren_GC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So i've now tested the USB Drive using the setup you suggested above, and the Gamecube games seem to work perfectly but when I now launch the Wii games it just throws me back to the main Wii menu channels... Is there something I can check to now make the Wii games work again?!

Maybe I missed something?

I've named the files exactly like you have mentioned though so I'm not sure what it could be now?

JasonH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the games still in ISO File Extention because the wii backup Manager changes the File Extention by converting it to wbfs?(Not to be confused with WBFS format)
If you are using mac like cyan said earlier there is another program for that. You cannot place isos on the drive and expect them to work right off hand. They have to be converted. Here is a link for the Mac version of the program
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wiibafu/

Last edited by JasonH,

Darren_GC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you all for your help!

Everything seems to be working perfectly now, both GC & Wii games all loading and playing great from the one USB drive. I should've found you guys first before following older guides! haha!

Many thanks :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DTApple
    please let me look cool as well
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1