Hacking USB Loader GX, Pikmin 1, Black Screen Issue

Dueler

OP
Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
He's talking about New Play Control: Pikmin the wii version.

Also, i get a black screen from boot when trying to load pikmin.
So your getting further then me if your making it to the menu xD.

Works perfectly fine with stock settings on neogamma tho.

SiM99

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having trouble with Pikmin, but it's a strange scenario. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but to me it seemed the most appropriate section.

I originally installed Pikmin on to a usb stick (usb thumbstick) while I was setting up the Wii and gotten it working fully. After verifying that I could in fact get a game to work, I bought a Verbatim 320GB USB HDD, which I think should work fine according to the compatibility reports on GBATemp. I formatted it with a FAT32 (20GB I think it was) partition and an NTFS partition (taking the rest of the space) and then used WBFS Manager to reformat the NTFS partition. I have used WBFS Manager for everything so far, including formatting the usb stick and copying all games. I installed Pimin 1 & 2 and Samba De Amigo and then successfully played Pikmin a number of times (at least 4 iirc) and this was on different days, so the Wii was shut down in-between game sessions.

Tonight, I booted up the Wii and had a look at the USB Loader GX settings, changing the time to 24 hour format and also looking at options for game boot settings, but didn't save any changes. I went to play Pimkin and gotten as far as the main game menu screen, where you can select "Start", "Options" or "Challenge Mode", but after selecting "Start" or "Challenge Mode", the screen fades out to black as it usually does, but after that nothing happens. I have re-booted and tried playing the game in both modes, each having the same black screen.

Nothing on the Wii has changed since the game was last played - the console hadn't even been switched on.

In an attempt to verify that the wbfs file system was ok, I copied all 3 of the games back to my computer's HDD and received no error messages. I'm not entirely sure that this does actually verify (properly) that the games can be successfully read on the Wii, but I thought it worth a try. I have also re-formatted the wbfs partition and copied the games over again. I copied them from the isos extracted from the usb hdd, in case that's relevant.

Currently, I have version 3.1E of the Wii System Menu, HBC v1.0.3, latest USB Loader GX (updated earlier - if the version is needed then I'll check tomorrow, the Wii is currently on the black screen and I cant be bothered getting up to reboot it. lol) I *think* that I have cIOS rev 11 installed, but I'm not sure where I can check the version of that.

I'm not really sure where to go from here... any ideas?
smile.gif

Just in case anyone suggests creating the partitions and formatting them again, do I actually need to format the HDD to NTFS before formatting it with s wbfs manager? It takes wuite a while, so I'd prefer not to if possible. I read somewhere that it's best to format it to FAT32, but the drive is too big for that file system, so NTFS had to do.

EDIT: hmm, just another thought
One difference between the working usb stick and the non-working hdd was that I had wbfs manager set to keep "only game partition" when copying to the usb key and i now have it set to "remove update partition, keep rest". Saying that, I have played the game after copying it to the hdd, so maybe it's not a possibility. Unless the hdd suddenly decided it doesn't like too many partitions
wink.gif

SiM99

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks all for the replies. I'm in work at the moment so I can't test anything until later, but I can respond... quickly
smile.gif

JohnnyCheeks said:
Try deleting your USB Loader GX config files. (by default they're in the /config/ directory in the root of your preferred storage device for booting USBLGX)
Will do.
Last night, I did change to using the forwarder and removed the sd card (i.e. used the usb hdd as the source for usb loader gx) but I can't quite recall if I copied the files (including config) from the sd card or not, lol. I'll try deleting the config files on them both and see if it helps.

OncleJulien said:
JohnnyCheeks said:
Try deleting your USB Loader GX config files. (by default they're in the /config/ directory in the root of your preferred storage device for booting USBLGX)
i have to do this every time i update gx, or the app doesnt see the sd card at all - in fact, i've narrowed it down to making an edit to any of the files in the folder, if i do that, the sd magically appears again.

odd that.

Handy to know. Intermittent issues with config files after updates. Noted.
wink.gif

QUOTE(admiralsfan @ Jun 23 2009, 09:43 AM) woah, sorry this doesn't help ur question, but you can play gamecube games with Usb Loader GX?
No idea! Sorry to be blunt, but I haven't tried playing GC games on the Wii, wouldn't know where to start...
smile.gif

QUOTE(Dueler @ Jun 23 2009, 02:02 AM)
He's talking about New Play Control: Pikmin the wii version.

Also, i get a black screen from boot when trying to load pikmin.
So your getting further then me if your making it to the menu xD.

Works perfectly fine with stock settings on neogamma tho.
Yep, the Wii version of Pikmin.
It used to work perfectly fine with default settings under USB Loader GX too, hehe.

wacko.gif

The thigs that really confuse me about all this are:
  • I had no troubles at all with booting the game when I first got the hdd, and for a few plays after that too. (meaning that the HDD is compatible and does work)
  • The game still plays off usb stick/usb thumb drive. (making me think that there can't be any issues with wii/usb loader/game settings)

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JohnnyCheeks said:
i have to do this every time i update gx, or the app doesnt see the sd card at all - in fact, i've narrowed it down to making an edit to any of the files in the folder, if i do that, the sd magically appears again.

odd that.

macmel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just added this game to my USB and just get a black screen, although I can load it with NeoGamma. I have the Jap version of Pikmin.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1