Hacking USB Loader GX changing themes.

terumpk2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I cant seem to change the theme on my Usb loader, right now i have it as the default theme but when i manually put files onto my SD card to my SD:/(themesdirectory)/ and put the custom path as that, the theme doesnt change, and also nothing comes up when i go into the themes folder in the custom paths setting on the loader, its just a blank folder. if anyone could tell me if im doing something wrong and how to properly install them it would be great.

Also when i try to download themes from the Theme downloader on the USB loader it just gives me an error when i try to download and then crashes the loader when i try exit the downloader.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you need this format :

if you set the theme directory to SD:/themedir/
then you need :

SD:/themedir/Theme_filename.them
SD:/themedir/Theme_foldername/all your pictures inside this sub folder

Example:
SD:/themedir/christmas.them
SD:/themedir/christmas/abcIcon.png
SD:/themedir/christmas/add.png
etc.

When you go to the Theme select menu, the loader lists all the ".them" files found in the /themedir/ folder. It doesn't list subfolders if there's no corresponding .them file.

The theme downloader menu doesn't work anymore because the theme repository Website owner decided to block direct download access and users now require to register and pass though advertisement to download themes.
I will probably remove the theme downloader menu, but I find it a good way to see what exists and what can be downloaded on spiffy website. users just can't download from the loader anymore :(

terumpk2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
you need this format :

if you set the theme directory to SD:/themedir/
then you need :

SD:/themedir/Theme_filename.them
SD:/themedir/Theme_foldername/all your pictures inside this sub folder

Example:
SD:/themedir/christmas.them
SD:/themedir/christmas/abcIcon.png
SD:/themedir/christmas/add.png
etc.

When you go to the Theme select menu, the loader lists all the ".them" files found in the /themedir/ folder. It doesn't list subfolders if there's no corresponding .them file.

The theme downloader menu doesn't work anymore because the theme repository Website owner decided to block direct download access and users now require to register and pass though advertisement to download themes.
I will probably remove the theme downloader menu, but I find it a good way to see what exists and what can be downloaded on spiffy website. users just can't download from the loader anymore :(

Thanks!:lol: got the theme to change finally, took me ages to try figure out on my own, was searching on google on how to do it aswell but couldnt find it.

Theres something else im hoping you could help me with, i have just dance 2015 on my loader and i cant seem to get it to work it just black screens everytime i try load it up. ive tried changing the game iOS to 250 and 224 and Using force pal 60 and ntsc but i still get black screen, any ideas on how i can get it to work? it would be much appreciated

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if using slot250 (or more correctly a cIOS based on IOS57, if your slot250 and 224 are using a different IOS base then it will have no effect!) didn't help, then maybe your ISO is bad.
Try dumping your game again, or verify its Sha1 with WiiBackupManager option.

terumpk2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
if using slot250 (or more correctly a cIOS based on IOS57, if your slot250 and 224 are using a different IOS base then it will have no effect!) didn't help, then maybe your ISO is bad.
Try dumping your game again, or verify its Sha1 with WiiBackupManager option.
Managed to fix it thanks☺ turns out I had an outdated version on USB loader, so I updated it, and then installed the cios versions with the same bases like you said and it worked! Thanks for a your help

Wii Tink

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really need help! I followed all of your instructions as to how to change the theme, or at least I think I did, and I can get all the icons to move all over the place, most times they are bizarrely placed (ie: Games: x Then Under it with how much space is left on the hard drive and then on top of the 2 of those the time, all in black)... but the screen only stays white. I named everything in the folder "name".png and I still can't get it to work. I've been trying absolutely everything! I even changed the "customs path" and "theme path" to the path I want them to be on, but still isn't working. I hope someone can help, I'm soooo frustrated with it. I've been trying for several days but it just wont work.

Also, I did download the themes off the site itself, so I really don't understand it. :(

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if the loader detects your theme, then it means you placed the file to the correct folder.
If it miss all the pictures, then you don't have them to the correct location or name.

Open the them file into a text editor, there should be the expected name for the sub-folder where the picture need to be placed to.

If elements seems not correctly placed, maybe the theme you downloaded was designed for an old version of the loader.

Wii Tink

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the themes and the pictures.png in the same folders, all in SD/"Game". This is for each game. Is that wrong?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
themes and the pictures.png in the same folders
That's your issue.

Also, the "themes folder" NEED to be the place where you have the "them" files, not the one where you have the pictures!

SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/ <--- this is the default theme folder defined in "settings>user's paths"

Then to load a theme, you need to go to "settings>theme menu" and from this menu you select the detected them file.

You need this layout :
inside "themes" folder, you need to put the ".them" files.
example :
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/default.them
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/blue.them
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/red.them
etc.

If a theme use different pictures or fonts, they usually are in a subfolder inside the themes folder.
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/school.them
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/school/ <--- another folder, and inside you have the png files. Do not put the png insde "themes" but inside another folder located in themes.

SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/school.them
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/school/menu.png
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/school/font.ttf
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/stargate.them
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/stargate_pictures/menu.png
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/etc.

the folder's name where the png are located is defined inside the ".them" file.

Wii Tink

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I'm posting this wrong too... I'm new here and keep getting my posts removed. I have tried absolutely everything to get the theme to work but I can't get it to work at all. I put the theme into SD:/themedir/"game name" and in the same folder were the .png files (I named all of them .png, but it didn't make any difference with .png or not).

I can get to the theme when I go into "custom paths" and then into "theme path", changed the folder to the "game name" theme folder, but I'm really lost as to what I'm doing wrong, because instead of getting a new picture and shuffling all of the icons everywhere, I get white with the icons going everywhere... sometimes not even proper as they are all piled on top of each other sometimes.

Please, if someone can help me, I'd appreciate it... I've been struggling with this for several days now and I'm so frustrated with it but I'd love to surprise my son with it.

Thanks.

Wii Tink

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't find this thread so I posted a new thread, sorry. Now that I found this thread I can just talk on this one. Okay, so I got 2/12 to work... not sure why the 10 aren't working now. Any suggestions as to what happened to those ones?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The .them file and all the images for it go in one folder.

ex:
/themes/footheme/
/themes/footheme/footheme.them
/themes/footheme/*.png

If it's still not working it might be an old theme that's no longer compatible.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Note: I merged your other thread into this one, so there's no duplicated help in two different location, by different users.

It's hard to see what's wrong without knowing how and where you placed the files on your device.
If you could provide a screenshot, or write the path here, so we can see if you copied and extracted all the files to the correct folder, then we could help you better.
Could you also tell us which themes you are trying to install ? maybe they are outdated or incompatible with your current loader's version. give us links to the themes.

Please, use default path !
Don't set the theme path to "SD:/themedir/"
/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/ folder instead (use the path inside the folder where you have the loader installed, if it's on SD, use SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/)

Once you understand how it works and get everything working fine, then you can think about using another, custom, path for your needs, but for now please use all default settings. it's easier to help you and prevent differences with users helping you.

@GreyWolf :
that's wrong.
the .them file is not inside a subfolder.

Correct layout is :
/themes/footheme.them
/themes/footheme_subfolder_name/*.png

The folder name is not always the same than the "them" filename.
it's not because you have "cool.them" that you need to put the pictures in a "cool" subfolder. the subfolder could be name "awesome", you set the folder name inside the .them file, so the loader need to load the .them first to know the subfolder name, you can't put the .them inside the unknown subfolder name.

colking

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks!:lol: got the theme to change finally, took me ages to try figure out on my own, was searching on google on how to do it aswell but couldnt find it.

Theres something else im hoping you could help me with, i have just dance 2015 on my loader and i cant seem to get it to work it just black screens everytime i try load it up. ive tried changing the game iOS to 250 and 224 and Using force pal 60 and ntsc but i still get black screen, any ideas on how i can get it to work? it would be much appreciated

I can't see the .them file when I try to set path in USB loader gx. What ami doing wrong? Thanks

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't see the .them file when I try to set path in USB loader gx. What ami doing wrong? Thanks

The path dialog doesn't show files, only folder names. Just make a folder called "themes" in your /apps/usbloader_gx/ folder and put your themes in it. ".them" goes in the main folder, the theme resources folder needs to be in the same place. If you still don't see themes in the settings make sure the path is right in Custom Paths. (Note the theme downloader doesn't work anymore so you'll have to copy them manually.)

colking

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The path dialog doesn't show files, only folder names. Just make a folder called "themes" in your /apps/usbloader_gx/ folder and put your themes in it. ".them" goes in the main folder, the theme resources folder needs to be in the same place. If you still don't see themes in the settings make sure the path is right in Custom Paths. (Note the theme downloader doesn't work anymore so you'll have to copy them manually.)

Thanks dude, I'll try that! :)

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still not working... Could it be my sd card? Its a 64gb and running USB Loader on vwii. Could I try putting Themes on external hard drive where my games are?
thanks

You can put them anywhere, you just have to change the theme path in "Custom Paths".

This is how an example theme called "Test" should be assuming you're using the default theme path:

/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/Test.them
/apps/usbloader_gx/thems/Test <- folder with images, sounds, etc for theme.

Also make sure the them has the image folder name set properly in it. In this case it should be "Image-Folder: Test\n".

Your theme path should be set to "/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/" and not the name of the theme you're using.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

colking

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can put them anywhere, you just have to change the theme path in "Custom Paths".

This is how an example theme called "Test" should be assuming you're using the default theme path:

/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/Test.them
/apps/usbloader_gx/thems/Test <- folder with images, sounds, etc for theme.

Also make sure the them has the image folder name set properly in it. In this case it should be "Image-Folder: Test\n".

Your theme path should be set to "/apps/usbloader_gx/themes/" and not the name of the theme you're using.

Just tried that and still nothing... Maybe these themes are no good? thanks again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    They did end up using some of my stuff in the first Gulf war though lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST COMMENTED A YOUR MOM JOKE ON A GACHA YT COMMUNITY POST (the algorithm has cursed me in terms of community posts, bc I fuck around on that sort of community post, just commenting and being a jackass)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT FELT SO GOOD
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the OP made a couple vocaloid characters, and the post had the caption "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: they're from vocaloid"
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    to which I responded:
    "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: it's uremum"
    +1
    I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some awesome pranks but I'm afraid to test them lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some...