USB Hard drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by bLaDeY, Jun 22, 2009.

Jun 22, 2009

USB Hard drive by bLaDeY at 7:31 AM (1,288 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. bLaDeY
    OP

Newcomer bLaDeY Newbie

Australia
    Morning All,
    I am looking at an external drive, looking at the Wiki it seems the Western Digital My Book Essential Edition is a good choice although does anyone know whether it matters what model?

I was going to had to my Officeworks and grab this one here or this one here

Would there be a preference one over the other? I just want the ability to put my 'backed up' games on the drive and play them since my DVD drive seems to be stuffed but that I'll explain in another thread.

Thanks

Cheers

2. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    The Essential series is confirmed to have a good compatiblity in general. So I would prefer this one — however, 1TB is too much for just Wii games... if you plan to just use it for this.

3. Xynergy

Newcomer Xynergy Member

United States
    It may seem like a waste right now but, you can make half a Wii game partition and the other half NTFS and put movies/music on it. I would rather go big enough first and not have to buy another later. Maybe even be able to load wads off the hdd some day in place of the SD card.

Just my .02.

4. bLaDeY
    OP

Newcomer bLaDeY Newbie

Australia
    Thanks a million for that.

I can agree it does seem a bit of a waste, finding something smaller like 500gig might be a better option.

5. bLaDeY
    OP

Newcomer bLaDeY Newbie

Australia
    In the end I went the 1TB drive so all is good, the price difference was stuff all so it made sense to go the bigger drive as that thought about space ran through my mind.

6. bLaDeY
    OP

Newcomer bLaDeY Newbie

Australia
    Well all isn't soo good, I plugged it in to no avail and after playing around with no joy I was looking at the compatibility chart and well you wouldn't believe it I got the model WD10000H1U-00 which doesn't work at all.

Not a happy camper to say the least.

Any other suggestions preferable that's easily available in Australia?

Edit: This is the one I have in mind now http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/produ...s-New/LA301304A although no model to go against on the USB compatibility which is a slight worry.

7. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    wait, so there are different models of that wd mybook essential?

8. bLaDeY
    OP

Newcomer bLaDeY Newbie

Australia
    Looks to be the case, on the wiki it mentions Western Digital My Book Essential Edition which is completely compatible although no model number for reference and then there's the Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 2.0 1TB External USB Hard Drive (WD10000H1U-00), on the box though there is no mention of 2.0, I was thinking this was purely USB 2.0

9. Nasedase

Newcomer Nasedase Advanced Member

United States
    How does a usb hard drive work with Wii now? Did nintendo officially enable hard drive storage?

10. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Of course Nintendo didn't.

USB harddrives work by enabling USB 2.0 through a custom IOS.