USB Hard Drive for Portable Mode

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by Nincompoopdo, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Nincompoopdo
    OP

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2017
    United States
    Some users here think that USB hard drive support is pointless for portable mode - you are wrong.

I play 99% in portable mode and this feature for SXOS is the best thing ever for CFW users:

You can use a USB-C adaptor (only a few dollars on Amazon) to connect your hard drive to your Switch and install games. It's faster than Wifi-FTP, also you don't need to remove the SDcard to copy those big retail games (14+gb). That means you won't have to reboot and do all those RCM, payload BS. After NXShell updated with USB support (or TX add a file manager), you can even copy XCI to your SDcard. This makes it so easy to swap games if you are low on SDcard space.

I personally will not play games with a hard drive attached to Switch's USB-C port, it will drained the battery. But using it to install/copy/swap files is so easy.

2. larrypretty

larrypretty GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2018
    United States
    "After NXShell updated with USB support (or TX add a file manager), you can even copy XCI to your SDcard."
    Now SX OS 2.2 doesn't support that, I suppose, yes?

3. Nincompoopdo
    OP

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2017
    United States
    I bet TX will add a file manager in the next release... the source code is free to grab on GitHub. :teach::D

Assasin1990 likes this.
  4. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    I hope so, also I would like to see directory browsing for installing games from usb - so all games/nsp files don't need to be in the root dir.

larrypretty likes this.
  5. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Addict

May 3, 2012
    United States
    What about the claims that external hard drives eat up more power in portable mode?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

6. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I'm assuming so far you can only use TX's installer to install from hard drive? I don't suppose they've updated the installer to fix the issue of games showing as corrupted from system settings data management?

7. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    Use some common sense, an external drive needs to be powered so it's pretty obvious that it's going to use more power. However if you're using the dock, the drive gets it's power from that. I'm not sure the switch battery can even power a usb device, because when you look at the circuit for the usb - there's a diode to prevent this from happening.

8. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    I would not recommend powering external HDDs from the Switch alone. The USB 3.1 spec allows so much power draw BUT we know how closely Nintendo follows spec (cough dock bricks cough). External SSDs are probably fine.

9. Nincompoopdo
    OP

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2017
    United States
    Currently none of the home-brew can see the USB drive, only SXOS native installer can see it. I don't really care about the corrupted install message, it plays fine - that's all that matters.

If emulators like Retroarch can see the USB drive, we can even load roms from it. Imagine - terabytes of roms!

10. Nurrish

Nurrish Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    SXOS really needs to redesign the way it displays XCI’s and NSP’s now..... :wacko:

11. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    "Some users here think that USB hard drive support is pointless for portable mode - you are wrong."

who said so?

12. Nincompoopdo
    OP

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2017
    United States
    It can power the hard drive running on battery.

Photo from the SXOS 2.2 thread:

[​IMG]

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

A few people from the thread:
    TX Announces SX OS v2.2 BETA with Docked USB Drive Support

13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's able to power RCM dongles, so it'll probably power a HDD.
    External HDDs do use quite a lot of power. But you wouldn't have it plugged in all the time, only when you want to transfer/install a game. Since you can't charge the Switch while you have a drive plugged into it like this, if you're transferring a lot of stuff, best use a powered hub or dock the Switch.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Oct 18, 2018
    larrypretty likes this.
  14. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    maybe you need to use some common sense

15. soaresden

soaresden GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2013
    France
    What about Partitions ?
    If i create a Exfat partition for Switch next to a NTFS, does it work ?
    Maybe Exfat at first ?

Thanks !