USA/JAP/UK Gamecube Work on Any Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by aligborat69, Nov 22, 2006.

Nov 22, 2006
  1. aligborat69
    OP

Member aligborat69 GBAtemp Fan

I was sitting there after being guaranteed my Wii on launch day thinking, since it plays all gamecube games, i can put my gamcube in storage and play fifa 07 on the wii until the wii version gets released. Then i thought, my Gamecube is USA and the Wii i have ordered is the official UK version. Does anyone know if there is any sort of region lock, i would understand if the USA wii games didnt work in JAP/UK machines, but has anyone tested whether the USA/UK/JAP Cube games work in different wii's?

Post any finding here please [​IMG]

2. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    dont work, not even with a freeloader

3. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    HOLD IT. Where is your source on this?

4. teh_raf3

Member teh_raf3 Whatever suits you

Belgium
    bullshit, it does work with a freeloader, just not with all of them

5. aligborat69
    OP

Oh Right so Basically:

USA GC ~ USA Wii
    UK GC ~ UK Wii
    JAP GC ~ JAP Wii

D'oh!

Well, i suppose its logical, but also pointless, considering it shouldnt matter what region the cube discs are, their concern should be people playing USA/JAP games in the UK before they are relased. Ahh the good old Action replay on Snes days, using one UK cart as a dummy. LOL

Still, even with this setback regarding gamecube region compatibility, at least Nintendo are not issuing warnings a-la Lik-Sang/Sony for shipping JAP/USA machines worldwide :-)

6. teh_raf3

Member teh_raf3 Whatever suits you

Belgium
    Without a freeloader you can't play Gamecube games from other regions on your Wii, that's correct, but it's already been proven that some version of the freeloaders work with the Wii and so you can play Gamecube games from other regions on the Wii.

7. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    from my friends, they have 1.06b and it doesnt work with their NTSC Wii :\

8. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Do you know which versions are working (source maybe)? I'm pretty curious about this since I thought about finishing my US Resident Evil 4 on my EU Wii (and I already sold my GCN). [​IMG]

9. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    The freeloader option in my Action Replay works fine. At least with Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 it works fine. [​IMG] That was really the only game I cared about.

10. aligborat69
    OP

Its a shame they dont exercise the same region free policy as they do with the DS.

And how amazing is Resident Evil 4, i imported the USA version as soon as it was released and is a game im hoping i can use the freeloader to play on my Wii until Umbrella Chronicles is released. Which i wont imagine will be before mid-2007!

11. ConraDargo

Member ConraDargo Flashback Fanatic

Sweden
    Supposedly, the only working Freeloader is version v1.06b but you must not start the console and then feed it the Freeloader disc. Instead, boot the Wii with the disc already inside it.

I'll PM Hero-Link and let him know this (just in case he doesn't spot my reply here) so that his friends can try it out.