US Raids 30 Sites for Mod Chips

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice... that's a fairly well sized raid there on people too stupid to cover their tracks. Just a teeny percentage of the pie, but it's still hurtful.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can understand them raiding for the wii modchips as you can play copies as soon as they are fitted. With the PS2 and Xbox modchip, I'm not too sure about the latest PS2 modchip but the xbox modchip comes with a legal bios installed that doesn't allow you to play copied games until you flash it with an illegal bios.

iTech

Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States
This makes me wonder once more if Emulators, which allow backups to be played as well, are legal.
I have researched the matter thoroughly and still can only guess due to the massive amounts of ambiguity out there. Not being an American citizen complicates things even more. The matter is very important to me as, well, here's some code I am working on right now;

Code:
/*----------------------------------------------------------------*/
static inline void onExecute_R3000A(void * start_pc)
/*----------------------------------------------------------------*/
{
ÂÂÂÂ/* Execute a non-returning block of instructions (run a program) */
 Â//register uint32 opcode;
 Â//register uint32 pc;

Âif(start_pc != NULL)
   Âr3000a_pc = *(uint32*)start_pc;
 Âelse
   Âr3000a_pc = *(uint32*)r3000a.program_counter;

Âr3000a_base = ((uint32)r3000a.memory[0]->data) - (r3000a_pc & ~0x1fffff);

Âfor(;;)
 Â{
   Âif(!r3000a.status_change)
   Â{
     Âr3000a_opcode = *(uint32*)((unsigned char*)r3000a_base + r3000a_pc);
     Âr3000a_registers.name.r0 = 0;

Âr3000a_basic[r3000a_opcode >> 26]();

Âr3000a_pc += 4;
   Â}
   Âelse  Â/* Do the shit below during idle CPU time! */
   Â{
     Âr3000a.status_change = 0;

Âif(r3000a.reset_status)
       ÂonReset_R3000A();
     Âelse
     Âif(!r3000a.power_status)
       ÂonPowerOff_R3000A();
     Âelse
     Âif(r3000a.freeze_status)
       ÂonFreeze_R3000A();
   Â}
 Â}
}

I don't want to spoil anything, but you could say I'm working on emulation for a particular system on a Nintendo platform as we speak. Though I am not an American citizen but a European one, my "primary place of business" would be considered the US if I released an emulator, which might still target me as a criminal under the DMCA. Even more complex are the issues around copyrighted/patented copy protection schemes. It seems that emulating those copy protection schemes that are protected by patent (as in a device) or copyright (as in a Rom) laws is "more" illegal in some cases than not including any copy protection at all (which would allow backups to be played, and would also be illegal)

To make a long story short; The DMCA is The Great Whore Of Babylon and will kills us all my making our heads explode out of shear over-taxation (pun intended, bitch).

iTech

Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States

iTech

Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States

Damn you! I was reading what you linked and after getting so angry I started yelling "People have been laundering money long before they invented some piece of crap computer chip ..." at the screen and jumping out of my chair at the same time, I lost my balance and fell back into my chair because I stood up too fast, pushing the chair with my back into a wooden rack behind me, and nearly snapping my fucking neck.

I'm not joking, I'm in serious pain... Fuck man!
You think it's just software piracy that hurts developers? Think again!

cry.gif

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Aug 1 2007, 10:01 PM)]Holy shit, m|kk| lives?!
Oh, yes, of course she does. She was checking on our stock when she came across this is related news(to our stock), so she saw it and submitted it here.
smile.gif

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE([M) said:
artin,Aug 1 2007, 10:01 PM]Holy shit, m|kk| lives?!

Oh, yes, of course she does. She was checking on our stock when she came across this is related news(to our stock), so she saw it and submitted it here.
smile.gif
You guys are involved in the business dealings of the chips that be doing teh modding?[/whisper] :shiftyeyes:

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Aug 1 2007, 10:05 PM)]
QUOTE([M) said:
artin,Aug 1 2007, 10:01 PM]Holy shit, m|kk| lives?!

smile.gif
You guys are involved in the business dealings of the chips that be doing teh modding?[/whisper] :shiftyeyes:
No, we own lots of Nintendo stock.
smile.gif

When Im Gone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://kotaku.com/gaming/piracy/massive-mo...tion-285007.php

Damn you! I was reading what you linked and after getting so angry I started yelling "People have been laundering money long before they invented some piece of crap computer chip ..." at the screen and jumping out of my chair at the same time, I lost my balance and fell back into my chair because I stood up too fast, pushing the chair with my back into a wooden rack behind me, and nearly snapping my fucking neck.

I'm not joking, I'm in serious pain... Fuck man!
You think it's just software piracy that hurts developers? Think again!

cry.gif
Wow all that just because I posted a link. I feel special now.
I don't think it hurts them that much, but what I do think is that they are just pissed people aren't spending money for their games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1