Upscale video without blurring it?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Kippykip, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Kippykip
    OP

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

Just need to know what to use...
    Anyone got ideas?/programs? :mellow:

LATE EDIT:
    Found out if you go in vegas, Render as > Customize template > Rendering quality > Set it to draft, this doesn't put that blurry filter stuff on

2. tecra_a8

tecra_a8 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 10, 2009
    Indonesia
    YES!
    only if u r not up-scaling it too much

3. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    320x200 to 1920x1080
    I know it's possible, just gotta find the right software to do it without filtering/blurring the stretched video

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    320x200 is a postage stamp, and will look shitty no matter how it's scaled. Try finding a better video source if possible for best results.

Foxi4 likes this.
  5. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    you can always fix the aspect ratio in something like vegas but the source will always be 320x200 or 320x240 due to it recording that resolution in the first place
    I just want it to look pixelated and not blurred

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i think it should be possible if you use x2 upscales... if you have 1 black pixel, and make it 4 black pixels, how can it get blurry?

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I assume this is related to your capture efforts with older machines.

If you want pixels and not blur you are going to want a nearest neighbour scaling method rather than basically everything else people do to scale things. 320x200 is also a different aspect ratio, assuming same pixel aspect ratio of course, so bear that in mind.

I would also consider a lesser scale and maybe use borders and overlay the thing on a background when you have instead scaled to 720p (or the appropriate aspect ratio and added borders), or scale up the in game text separately and put that beside things.

I am not sure what it would be in commercial video editing world but nearest neighbour is a good search term there. In avisynth it is called PointResize and should be an inbuilt function, you may also like to try spline resize. If you want to get really crazy there are some even better resize options but they will easily double or triple your encode times, there also some other things that will not soften as much like http://avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/externalfilters/simpleresize.htm

However that kind of res to 1080 is a fairly big leap. PAL to 720p and most people would not be able to tell the difference if you handle the interlacing right, I would hold most people would also not be able to tell PAL to 1080p but let us not be too cynical this morning.

Foxi4 and Kippykip like this.
  8. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    I'm looking for the nearest neighbour scaling but can't seem to find it in video editors, only picture editors

I still want it in 1080P though, it will have borders if the aspect ratio is different in this case it is

Heres an example:

This is the original video/screenshot for this explanation
    [​IMG]

I want it to look something like:
    [​IMG]

But it comes out like
    [​IMG]

So might give the SimpleResize a try, looks decent
    So resize it to 1728x1080 (Thats the correct resized aspect) and put the borders through vegas as 1920x1080
    Thanks!

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Avisynth has an addborders function as well, or an overlay function if you want to provide it with something properly custom.

That said I have been watching some youtube videos lately and they do nice things with their borders. One of the nicer ones plays a slightly washed out and scaled up version of the same video in the background. I was going to copy it for my avisynth effects thread ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/be-a-great-video-maker-and-replicate-this-video-effect.360509/ ) but I have yet to get around to setting up avxsynth (the Linux port) on Linux.

The script would be something like
    Code:
    directshowsource("videocapturevideo.avi")
    PointResize(last, 1728, 1080)
    addborders(96,0,96,0, $2c233d)

Doing it OOP style
    Code:
    directshowsource("videocapturevideo.avi").PointResize(1728, 1080).addborders(96,0,96,0, $2c233d)

The $ value is just html style hex notation for the colour, which I pulled from your example images. Gimp and other things should be able to handle that. I do not know if you actually had a gradient there (I am on my knackered old laptop right now) but if you did then imgsource for the image and overlay should be able to handle a lot.

Kippykip likes this.
  10. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    Oh that's cool! still haven't tried Avisynth just yet but using code is pretty cool!
    By the way the watered down effect is pretty cool and I used it in one of my parody videos.
    Cool bananas...
    Also that blue border IS just a simple gradient I made in paint.net :O

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Most upscalers will blur the video out, so as FAST said, Nearest Neighbour is your only option. It won't look great either way because you are upscaling from a very small resolution, but it's your best bet. As it was mentioned, you'll need to implement letterboxing because the aspect ratios differ. I think you're in good hands here, it would just be nice to know if the upscaling has to be done in real time or are you post-processing video files. ;)

Kippykip likes this.
  12. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    Nearest Neighbour is what I want as it looks like what I see on the 98 Monitor :creep:
    But yeah i'll have to use borders or it'll look horrible ;)

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I like avisynth for work like this -- graphical editors have their perks but if you have a lot of things with the same source properties (or even not if you want to get really flash) you can just rename the input file and have it work without having to hope your presets/filter chains work fine, not to mention you have everything you have done in code and so you can change things at any step along the path.

Kippykip likes this.
  14. NES_player4life

NES_player4life NODERATOR

Newcomer
    May 5, 2011
    United States
    Free studio.

WARNING
    Be careful installing as they hide software in the install packet.
    WARNING

Kippykip likes this.