Upgrading to Windows 7 on pirated XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, Jun 13, 2010.

Jun 13, 2010
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    After years of running a PC with pirated XP, I decided to do the right thing and buy windows 7. I see the full version of Home Premium but then I see the upgrade version which is cheaper. My question is, if I buy the upgrade version, does it have any problem on installing on a pirated XP or should I just bite the bullet and buy the full version and install on a formatted HDD?

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you cant upgrade from XP to 7
    only from Vista to 7

you need to do a fresh install

3. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Yup, the upgrade is only useful if you have a pirated version of Vista. [​IMG]

4. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Windows Upgrades are bad.

Always fresh install regardless.

5. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Is there anyone who pirates Vista then? [​IMG]

6. seahorsepip

Member seahorsepip GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I used pirated xp with registry tweak then vista(deleted that really fast because it's crap!) and now I use windows 7 ultimate with remove wat.
    Other words I'm am a legal man [​IMG]

7. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom

I used vista eternity ultimate for a while before moving to linux

dont update always fresh install

8. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Try to obtain the an OEM or "System Builders" edition of the full version, it should be about the same price as a retail Upgrade version, the only difference is that legally (and there are technical safeguards that enforce it) you cannot transfer the windows 7 license to a new motherboard.
    I would not recommend spending the money at all if you are not reasonably certain that your system will be stable for another couple years. What I mean is, you're better off waiting to pay for Windows until you're set with a new motherboard that you expect to last you 2-5 years.
    Or you could get the Full Version and have the right to transfer it indefinitely as long as only one installation is active at a time.

Edit (more comment):
    I paid for Full Vista Home Premium (OEM/SBE) for my desktop when I first built it, and it was cool being legit and current a while. But I really hated Vista. Current DirectX support is important to me, so I just dealt with it. But sometime in March my boyfriend finally installed the free Windows 7 upgrade that he redeemed for his new laptop, and it was really nice looking at all. I wasn't sold until he showed me how much less RAM he was using compared to Vista. I had him pirate me Win7 to try out on my laptop, which, with 2GB max RAM, is pretty challenged with Vista + everything else I do. I loved it so much I installed it on my desktop the same night. Now that I think about it, the only other time I ever pirated Windows in the last 15 years, was when I decided to start collecting foreign language versions of Windows XP back in 2004. I had tried Chinese, Portuguese, Arabic, and Hebrew, if I remember correctly.

9. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    Windows XP pirated -> Vista(unlicensed) -> Windows 7 + maybe w7 crack later?

Strongly recommending fresh install, but you have nothing to lose since a format awaits you anyway. Give it a shot.

10. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Even if you do a custom it will still move your Windows folder, your Program Files folder, and your Documents and Settings folder to a new folder called Windows.Old on the root of your drive.

I have done this three times and all of them ended up with a Windows.old folder.

11. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    That certainly depends on what you mean by fresh install.
    For many, perhaps most, it means formatting the disk prior to installation..
    I went from a Full, legitimate Vista install on my laptop to a fresh install of Win7Pro and formatted the disk in the setup.
    It certainly didn't save anything.

12. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Get the upgrade version. It'll still allow you to install as far back as Windows 2000 and onwards.

You won't be able to do an in-place upgrade, this option is only available for Vista. Instead it'll force you to do a clean install with the upgrade disk.

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The only thing upgradeable about the upgrade version is the license.

14. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    This. If I don't have any backup media onhand, I split the partition, backup to one, install to another, bring crap from the backup partition to the installed partition, delete backup partition, expand installed partition.

15. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    thats just installing windows on an existing partition, and windows will just rename the folders, thats not a fresh install, a fresh install or clean install is where you delete the partition and format it, so there is no nasties hanging around from the previous OS