upgrading r4 card

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ChristopherJames, Nov 4, 2011.

Nov 4, 2011

upgrading r4 card by ChristopherJames at 11:37 PM (1,396 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. ChristopherJames
    OP

Newcomer ChristopherJames Member

Hi,

I hope this is the right section, I'm very new to this and I'm experiencing problems playing certain roms. (they show up as only white screens)

I've been looking for the latest kernel version for the card I have however the only I've found is this http://www.r4sdhc.com/r4sdhc.asp It doesnt solve my issuses and I'm hoping that I have the wrong site as its somewhat confusing. fingers crossed the last update wasnt 2010-03-25 and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

2. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    Try using YSmenu (link; download from the bottom of the very first post). It's an unofficial firmware for (mainly) the DSTT, but it also supports many clones.

Also, your flashcart seems to support it (the one highlighted in red inside the spoiler). Just do as the descriptions says. If you're using the Native ones, make sure you remove every system file of the previous firmware installed because it's unneeded.
    other flashcarts that supports YSmenu
    EDIT: make sure you bookmark and keep the link because it gets updated around once a month. Check the thread whenever you feel like updating.
    Also, Credit goes to RetroGameFan (YSmenu's maintainer) and everybody else who has helped in developing/maintaining. :grog:

3. ChristopherJames
    OP

Thank you!!

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind me asking.

1) when I load the flashcart; it doesn't allow me to select from the menu, rather it loads 'YSmenu' and it takes me straight to the root folder. This isn't greatly important (the games work!! which is) but I was wondering if it's possible to change back. so I can select media, settings etc

2) Do you happen to know if it supports themes which are for r4 cards? the default theme isn't my style.

Appreciate your response :)

4. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    1) Unfortunately, I don't know if you can access the native firmware through YSmenu. Maybe you can try putting the native firmware in, then renaming one of the .dat files to .nds (most likely the _DS_MENU.DAT). After doing so, launch the renamed .nds file in YSmenu and see if you can access the native firmware.

2) It does support themes, though not r4 ones. The backgrounds are all .bmp files (on any flashcart's theme), so replacing those (inside TTMenu folder) will change the background. Make sure you name the top screen's image to YSmenu1.bmp and the bottom YSmenu2.bmp. Font colors can be changed in YSmenu.ini

1 person likes this.
  5. ChristopherJames
    OP

Thanks again :)

6. ChristopherJames
    OP

Last question; (I promise) :P

Does anyone know the max amount of gb the flashcard works with? I assume it will be 4gb but just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure.

7. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    since it's a sdhc card, I'm pretty sure it supports up to 32gb (1,2,4,8,16 and 32).

I've never felt like I need more than 8gb or 16gb though.