Upgrading Motherboard, would like some help with choosing one.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Skelletonike, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Skelletonike
    OP

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Right, so the thing is, I plan on somewhat upgrading one of my PC's, the computer has an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (the 512MB one, while not the greatest card, it's been working pretty well up till now), the current motherboard is an ASUS Benicia 1.01, it's a pretty crappy motherboard, doesn't even support DDR3 memory, which is really crappy seeing as I've got several 4GB memories which I'd like to install.

So, what I'd like to ask would be a recommendation for a Motherboard that supports my graphics card (and possibly support a better one later on), uses DDR3 and is roughly the same size, since I'm not very keen on small ones.

Normally I'd be up to date with these things, but because of college I've been too busy to be in touch with specs and prices.

Also, I'd rather it be something really cheap, I can only go up to 100€ (which is like 130$ or so), so yeah, I know it's a really sad amount. xP

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    You've forgotten to mention something fairly important. What CPU are you using?

If you plan to replace the motherboard and keep the CPU, you'll be limited to those using the same socket. If you're after a modern CPU/Motherboard/RAM kit, then it actually makes it fairly easier to source, although you might want to feed your budget just a bit to take into account the new CPU (since you've already got the RAM it seems).

Here's an example of the latter:
    CPU: AMD A4-3400 (€45)
    Motherboard: Asus F1A55-M (€55)

FYI, all motherboards support all PCIe graphics cards. Even if the graphics card requires PCIe 3.0, it will still work on PCIe 2.0 (or 1.0) motherboards - it'll just be slower. The only two parts that affect compatibility with graphics cards are the case (in terms of physical space and cooling) and the power supply (don't dare try putting a dual-GPU card on a 350W PSU - it'll blow something up). The exception are AGP motherboards/graphics cards, but they're ancient history (even if I still have a couple).

3. Skelletonike
    OP

Portugal
    Oh, you're right, I forgot to mention my CPU, it's not very recent, it's an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz, although I don't think I need to change it, I find it quite good.

4. Originality

United Kingdom
    Then you're limited to LGA 775 motherboards. I can't seem to find any on the first couple Portuguese electronics sites I've tried, but you can always try places like eBay.

5. Skelletonike
    OP

Portugal
    I usually buy my stuff from UK stores since it's cheaper there.. Do you reccomend any board price/quality wise?

6. Originality

United Kingdom
    Generally anything by ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI. I'd definitely stay away from cheaper brands like AsRock and Foxconn. The best of that era was the ASUS Rampage Extreme, which is now collecting dust in my spare room.

7. Skelletonike
    OP

Portugal
    I usually get Asus ones for my other computers, but they usually cost me way over the price range I currently have.

8. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    The only reliable DDR3 motherboards I can advise are the P5Q3 series, which are introvable right now and fetch crazy prices on eBay even if used (80+ eur).

Try to look for some Gigabyte ones, but you're probably out of luck since very few DDR3 motherboards were made for 775 (I should know, I've long searched for a DDR3 motherboard for my Core2 Duo too! :P)

9. Originality

United Kingdom
    Sounds like selling my Rampage Extreme might be a good idea.

10. Skelletonike
    OP

Portugal
  11. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    P5G41T-M is the model I have (yours is LX, mine's plain). MicroATX and small number of USB ports, but mine's worked fine for a while now.