Hacking Upgrading Atmosphere Benefits

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have atmosphere 0.12.0 running on firmware 10.0.1. I am trying to play super Mario 3d all stars and it hangs in certain instances. They say you need to update to 0.14.4 at least, but I figure I should update as far as I can.

I softmodded my switch some time ago and honestly forget how it all works. I think it's best to not update my switch firmware at all, but instead update atmosphere right?

So my question is can I go to atmosphere 0.19.3 On my current 10.0.1 switch firmware? And do I just simply download the new atmosphere version and overwrite the files on my sd card?

Is there any benefit to upgrading my switch firmware to 12?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason not to update to the latest version of Atmosphere. Just make sure you update your signature patches, too.

In order to play newer games, you will eventually need to update to newer system versions. Therefore, you might as well update to 12.0.2, the latest system version as of this post. You can update using Daybreak.

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason not to update to the latest version of Atmosphere. Just make sure you update your signature patches, too.

In order to play newer games, you will eventually need to update to newer system versions. Therefore, you might as well update to 12.0.2, the latest system version as of this post. You can update using Daybreak.

Okay, so because I have a first generation switch it will always be fully hackable right?

I also need to use the latest hekate as well right?

Edit: I'm reading this guide now (Cant post hyperlinks) switchgui.de/switch-guide/extras/updating/

being I am going from 10.0.1 system software to 12.0.2 it says it updates gamecard firmware. If thats the case the gamecard slot will be disabled if I downgrade. Why would someone ever need to downgrade? I dont think this is much of an issue for me?

Last edited by PartyWave269,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay, so because I have a first generation switch it will always be fully hackable right?

Edit: I'm reading this guide now (Cant post hyperlinks) switchgui.de/switch-guide/extras/updating/

being I am going from 10.0.1 system software to 12.0.2 it says it updates gamecard firmware. If thats the case the gamecard slot will be disabled if I downgrade. Why would someone ever need to downgrade? I dont think this is much of an issue for me?
Various reasons but you don't need to downgrade unless you're interested in SX OS which only supports FW up to 11.0.0 and yes, a first generation Switch will always be fully hackable.
You can use hekate but you can also rely on only Atmosphère by using the fusee-primary.bin payload to boot it up.
Just one note: Make sure to uninstall any custom themes before you update. You won't be able to boot otherwise.

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Various reasons but you don't need to downgrade unless you're interested in SX OS which only supports FW up to 11.0.0 and yes, a first generation Switch will always be fully hackable.
You can use hekate but you can also rely on only Atmosphère by using the fusee-primary.bin payload to boot it up.
Just one note: Make sure to uninstall any custom themes before you update. You won't be able to boot otherwise.

I prefer atmosphere, its gui is identical to nintendo's and im just used to it so far.

Great, thank you for the info!

Reactions: lordelan

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There are three main reasons why someone would want to downgrade.
  1. A person updates their system too quickly before Atmosphere has been updated to support the new system version. Before updating your system, always verify Atmosphere has been updated to support the new system version, and you'll never have this problem. You should also block connections to Nintendo's servers (use Incognito or 90DNS) in order to block automatic updates.
  2. SX OS cannot work on system versions above 11.0.0, and it probably never will. SX OS isn't recommended in part for this reason, so this shouldn't be an issue.
  3. If a new software exploit is released for the Switch, it will probably require a lower system version. As long as your efuses aren't burnt (i.e. you've had AutoRCM installed), you could always downgrade to use that exploit. If you're content with using the fusee gelee RCM exploit forever, this isn't an issue.

Last edited by Lacius,

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are three main reasons why someone would want to downgrade.
  1. A person updates their system too quickly before Atmosphere has been updated to support the new system version. Before updating your system, always verify Atmosphere has been updated to support the new system version, and you'll never have this problem. You should also block connections to Nintendo's servers (use Incognito or 90DNS) in order to block automatic updates.
  2. SX OS cannot work on system versions above 11.0.0, and it probably never will. SX OS isn't recommended in part for this reason, so this shouldn't be an issue.
  3. If a new software exploit is released for the Switch, it will probably require a lower system version. As long as your efuses aren't burnt (i.e. you've had AutoRCM installed), you could always downgrade to use that exploit. If you're content with using the fusee gelee RCM exploit forever, this isn't an issue.

Is there any reason to use SX OS? It seems like people use it because you can play online with it?

D

Deleted User

Is there any reason to use SX OS? It seems like people use it because you can play online with it?

If you like to play a lot of different games that are rather large, and enjoy having 1000's of other games with you at all times, you can attach a HDD (i.e. 2 TB) packed w/ XCI files and SX OS will mount them so you can play without installing them.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing XCI files off an external USB drive, instead of installing them to an SD card, is the only reason to use SX OS. Eventually, however, it won't be compatible with newer games, since newer games will require system versions higher than 11.0.0. Atmosphere is recommended.

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing XCI files off an external USB drive, instead of installing them to an SD card, is the only reason to use SX OS. Eventually, however, it won't be compatible with newer games, since newer games will require system versions higher than 11.0.0. Atmosphere is recommended.

My switch almost never leaves the house, we use it outside and whatnot but 90% of its life is on the dock.

When I update the system version, I'm only updating my emuMMC right? if I were to boot back into stock instead of atmosphere it would still be on the older version right?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch almost never leaves the house, we use it outside and whatnot but 90% of its life is on the dock.

When I update the system version, I'm only updating my emuMMC right? if I were to boot back into stock instead of atmosphere it would still be on the older version right?
There is no reason to use an emuMMC unless you meet one of the following criteria:
  1. You use a clean sysMMC for online play.
  2. You have an ipatched system with a sysMMC that must be kept on 4.1.0.
  3. You use an up-to-date sysMMC for things like game compatibility, and you use an outdated emuMMC with limited game compatibility on 11.0.0 for SX OS. (This scenario hasn't happened yet, but it will).
When you update your emuMMC using Daybreak, you are only updating the emuMMC. If you were to boot into your sysMMC, it would not be updated. However, there is no reason to have a sysMMC on an older system version unless the system is on 4.1.0 and ipatched.

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no reason to use an emuMMC unless you meet one of the following criteria:
  1. You use a clean sysMMC for online play.
  2. You have an ipatched system with a sysMMC that must be kept on 4.1.0.
  3. You use an up-to-date sysMMC for things like game compatibility, and you use an outdated emuMMC with limited game compatibility on 11.0.0 for SX OS. (This scenario hasn't happened yet, but it will).
When you update your emuMMC using Daybreak, you are only updating the emuMMC. If you were to boot into your sysMMC, it would not be updated. However, there is no reason to have a sysMMC on an older system version unless the system is on 4.1.0 and ipatched.

Well I do have a completely clean sysMMC that I dumped when I first modded, and I don't believe I've used since. I want to keep that clean so I can play some of my original carts online.

I really like having my clean sysMMC and running everything off the emuMMC, so id prefer to keep it setup this way.

What order would I go about updating everything? I assume I update atmosphere first, and then use Daybreak to update the system software?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I do have a completely clean sysMMC that I dumped when I first modded, and I don't believe I've used since. I want to keep that clean so I can play some of my original carts online.

I really like having my clean sysMMC and running everything off the emuMMC, so id prefer to keep it setup this way.

What order would I go about updating everything? I assume I update atmosphere first, and then use Daybreak to update the system software?
  1. Update Atmosphere.
  2. Use Daybreak on your emuMMC to update your emuMMC.
  3. On your stock sysMMC, update through the system settings. If you have AutoRCM installed and want to preserve it, run Atmosphere on your sysMMC when you update through the system settings. Your sysMMC will stay relatively clean if all you are doing is running Atmosphere while updating legitimately.

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Update Atmosphere.
  2. Use Daybreak on your emuMMC to update your emuMMC.
  3. On your stock sysMMC, update through the system settings. If you have AutoRCM installed and want to preserve it, run Atmosphere on your sysMMC when you update through the system settings. Your sysMMC will stay relatively clean if all you are doing is running Atmosphere while updating legitimately.

Can I just install auto rcm again?

I thought I read on the latest Hekate version you can simply turn autorcm on or off in the settings?

Last edited by PartyWave269,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I just install auto rcm again?

I thought I read on the latest Hekate version you can simply turn autorcm on or off in the settings?
You can just install AutoRCM again, yes, but your fuses will be burnt, which means you won't be able to downgrade your sysMMC.

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't have any issues, but you will have to update your sysMMC if you want to use it to play online with your legitimately purchased games.

So for now I think I'll update atmosphere and stick to my emuMMC. That'll be a future me problem when we decide to play some our legit games online.

Thinking of fuses, if I were to keep my fuses intact and go online on my sysMMC wouldn't that look abnormal and equal a ban?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for now I think I'll update atmosphere and stick to my emuMMC. That'll be a future me problem when we decide to play some our legit games online.

Thinking of fuses, if I were to keep my fuses intact and go online on my sysMMC wouldn't that look abnormal and equal a ban?
You are not going to get banned for a low fuse count.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4