TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Vista is horrible. Drivers were not a nightmare, but playing games with a wireless card-LAG SPIKE.*KILLED*
Seriously. I had to go buy a 15/18 foot Ethernet(or whatever the name is...) cable just so I could play some freaking games. Then I find out it's HORRIBLE on 1 GB if RAM. I HAD Vista and my brother tells me we won't be able to play ANYTHING with integrated graphics, 1GB of RAM, and Vista Home Premium. So we grab some pirated XP or something and install it. And then I tell him he could install Arch Linux because he loves it so much after XP had been installed for a while and I had loads of stuff on my HD. And when he installed Arch Linux, it went KABOOM and XP was destroyed in the process. He doesn't even know why... Or he doesn't tell me stuff. So now I'm back to freaking Vista because we lost that CD! It's fine because I actually bought a graphics card, 2 GB of ram making it 2.5, and turned off aero effects before playing a game. And then all of a sudden a relative that hates Vista comes over and he pirates XP again and now I got all my stuff on Vista. And basically now I'm stuck with Vista because I don't really want to start over AGAIN.

Anyways, Vista is alright if you have a good computer, no stinky drivers, and a wired connection... And thankfully I have gone past most of that...I even FINALLY found the good updated drivers for my integrated sound. Vista SP1(which I am still wondering if I should install) WILL NOT INSTALL without my freaking sound drivers updated. Stupid Sigmatel/IDT. Overall, I prefer XP, but I still like playing around with Vista.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vater Unser said:
Prime said:
grog.gif

I love vista but i understand that people cant easily disable options and give it time to love you...
What options do you have to disable to make it not suck?

Vista = OS for casual gamers
rofl2.gif
How exactly does it suck? Last time I checked 3d and PC mark scores in Vista are higher o nteh same hardware than XP. (fishjew posted a thread on it)

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ferrariman said:
Xcalibur, upgrade to vista in around 4-5 year. Microsoft seemed to have released a premature baby without a incubator.

Windows 7 will probably be out by then.

Linkiboy said:
Vater Unser said:
Prime said:
grog.gif

I love vista but i understand that people cant easily disable options and give it time to love you...
What options do you have to disable to make it not suck?

Vista = OS for casual gamers
rofl2.gif
How exactly does it suck? Last time I checked 3d and PC mark scores in Vista are higher o nteh same hardware than XP. (fishjew posted a thread on it)

Vista sucks in the way that you have to disable many "features" just to make turning on the computer not a chore which makes you want to kill yourself. You're not supposed to customize something to make it bearable, you customize it to make it more comfortable. If the main program is just so annoying to use without modification, they need to rethink some things. I shouldn't HAVE to bother with these things.

There's also many annoying little things like if you move or copy a file to a folder, the folder will be brought to the front. No matter what you do. The new folder structure is a pain to navigate and extremely inefficient. There's lots of folders which I should be able to enter yet for some reason I can't. The TEMP folder was set to read-only ffs. I had to manually change the location of the TEMP folder windows was using to one I created just so I could install stuff.

And there was no visual style except for the annoying areo and if you try and force a visual style it looks just that, forced. In XP it looks like it was meant to be like that yet in Vista it just awkwardly colors the menu's a different color. It just didn't look nice.

All my programs weren't working correctly under Vista and I had to reinstall most of them only to find they still wouldn't work the way I wanted to. A lot more random problems like MPC not having sound yet VLC did etc etc. UAC bitching at me pissed me off (You need to ask me to change the FONT SIZE?) and after I disabled it, Security center took over.

The network was a bitch too configure correctly and I was stuck for 3 hours before I could go online. The "Network and Sharing center" is just way too confusing. Also, everything was too hard to get to. Your LAN connections In XP it were just 2 clicks away yet with Vista you have to go through a menu.

My faulty graphics drivers weren't the only reason I got rid of vista. It was merely the straw which broke the camels back.

QUOTE(SavageWaffle @ Jul 23 2008, 06:06 PM)
I dont understand the meaning of this thread.

Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful.
If you don't understand that then GTFO.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xcalibur said:
Vista sucks in the way that you have to disable many "features" just to make turning on the computer not a chore which makes you want to kill yourself. You're not supposed to customize something to make it bearable, you customize it to make it more comfortable. If the main program is just so annoying to use without modification, they need to rethink some things. I shouldn't HAVE to bother with these things. By that definition, MirandaIM sucks because you have to customize it to get it the way you want. Urza would be proud.

There's also many annoying little things like if you move or copy a file to a folder, the folder will be brought to the front. No matter what you do. The new folder structure is a pain to navigate and extremely inefficient. There's lots of folders which I should be able to enter yet for some reason I can't. The TEMP folder was set to read-only ffs. I had to manually change the location of the TEMP folder windows was using to one I created just so I could install stuff. Err... what? What folders cant you get to?

All my programs weren't working correctly under Vista and I had to reinstall most of them only to find they still wouldn't work the way I wanted to. A lot more random problems like MPC not having sound yet VLC did etc etc. UAC bitching at me pissed me off (You need to ask me to change the FONT SIZE?) and after I disabled it, Security center took over. Security center? whuzzat? And my MPC, VLC, WMP, etc work fine
The network was a bitch too configure correctly and I was stuck for 3 hours before I could go online. For me it was a matter of clicking on the network center and selecting "New connection"The "Network and Sharing center" is just way too confusing. Also, everything was too hard to get to. Your LAN connections In XP it were just 2 clicks away yet with Vista you have to go through a menu. In Vista, it's two clicks away too. Right click, network center. http://pix.gbatemp.net/39885/network.jpg

My faulty graphics drivers weren't the only reason I got rid of vista. It was merely the straw which broke the camels back. Both the ATI and Nvidia drivers downloaded from the website work fine.
summary: you're too used to XP. So, waiting for windows 7 isn't going to solve anything.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I ended up removing it from two computers already. One, I had the hardest time trying to figure out how to get it online wirelessly (and it was my first real encounter with Vista so...), and the second time, the genius manufacturers preinstalled it on a computer that only came with half a gig of RAM! Of course, a friend of mine bought a new computer and I had to attempt to get the wireless running on it too. @_@; Too used to XP is too true.

I'd still like to give it a serious whirl sometime though. I've fought with Win3.11, Win95, WinME, and WinXP thus far. Might as well add another branch to the tree, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast