Hacking Upgrade HDD; 80GB, like the world, is not enough.

xjeremyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've referenced this post http://gbatemp.net/threads/wanting-to-upgrade-the-hdd-of-my-jailbroken-ps3.389175/

CheeseCake says in the post, that I need to have prepared on a USB stick the exact same CFW as is on my PS3 atm. Now, when he says CFW, is he talking about (for instance) REBUG 4.75.3 - Cobra 7.1? Or is he saying, the files I used to go from OFW 3.15 to whatever is on there now? It was so long ago that I'm now reading these old posts and thinking...I said this stuff, to another human, wtf?

Shall I just upgrade to the latest REBUG REX on the current 80GB hdd, and then pull the drive, put the new drive in, and because I have the latest REX still on a usb stick, I'll be ready to reinstall or is there more to this process. Am I gleaming over something?

D

Deleted User

CheeseCake says in the post, that I need to have prepared on a USB stick the exact same CFW as is on my PS3 atm.

Pretty much that. If you're on 4.46, you need the 4.46CFW you're on. If you're on 4.75.3 now, you'll need 4.75.3.

Soon as you pop a new drive in the bay, the system will ask for the FW to be reinstalled. So if you want to save yourself a few steps, just upgrade the 80GB, backup your data, then replace the drive. Then just reinstall the CFW when it asks and restore your data.

xjeremyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awesome. you were the guiding help about a week or so ago, and here you are again. I updated to 4.75.3 when that patch dropped, and have it still on the stick. So then, all that's left is swap the drives and run the update. Cool.

Is there anything I should know about resigning saves or eEIDs or any of that junk?

D

Deleted User

Pretty much. Back up whatever data you still want as obviously the new drive will be empty. Replace the drive and turn the PS3 on, it'll boot to the recovery mode and ask for a USB stick with the current FW. Let it install and it should boot up. Restore your data and go.

If you had ever logged into PSN while on CFW and then played games, you'll need to make sure you do that on the new one too. Otherwise should be no reason to resign saves on the same profile.

xjeremyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you had ever logged into PSN while on CFW and then played games, you'll need to make sure you do that on the new one too. Otherwise should be no reason to resign saves on the same profile.

I thought we were to basically accept that we could never go online again if we applied CFW on the PS3, its never been signed back in online since converting to CFW. However, the ticker messages at the top still show new information. I've never signed in on a game nor, signed into PSN since the mod...so we can go back online with CFW? like with the PSP we could?

D

Deleted User

There's various spoofers and such that hide CFW that should be used, along with not launching homebrew when logged in. You do so though at your own risk. Sony does ban CFW consoles if you're not careful.

xjeremyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
swapped drives successfully, adding ACL entries to deny 8080, 443, 80 traffic and permit 21/22.

However....What about amazon prime or netflix. With CFW is it safe to use those or is that a no no without spoofer stuff?

D

Deleted User

Spoofer needs to be used as I believe Netflix pretty frequently updates the app which requires PSN access.

xjeremyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ughhh. Alright, one last question; I keep seeing a "there is an update available for this game, version 1.03" and similar for various games. Do I need a spoofer for those as well?

-edited for better syntax.

Last edited by xjeremyx,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: