Upgrade from 4.5 to 9.2

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Capitán Retraso, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Capitán Retraso
    OP

Capitán Retraso GBATemp's Retard

Nov 5, 2015
    Aperture Labs
    A friend of mine is trying to upgrade his 3ds from 4.5 to 9.2, he has got everything he needs (sysupdater, the 9.2 cia files, the boot.3dsx and 3ds folder for hbl...) but the oproblem is that he doesnt manage to access hbl to use sysupdater via browserhax (i dont know if browserhax works below 9.0)
    So i want to ask if sysupdater can be launched through the hbl cia on emunand safely or it will brick the console or update/downgrade the emunand only

EDIT: he's got rxtools w/pasta, last months build i think (if this info helps)

Last edited by Capitán Retraso, Jan 24, 2016

2. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Load pasta and install it from there.

3. Capitán Retraso
    OP

Capitán Retraso GBATemp's Retard

Nov 5, 2015
    Aperture Labs
    Does rxtools' pasta mode work or do we need to install pastacfw o its own? we do not have a cubic ninja copy (as i see, it needs cubic ninja to be installed, correct me if im wrong)

4. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I used cubic ninja but use DEVmode and install sysupdater using FBI or Devmenu and do it through that and then set up themehax, homemenu hax and go on from there. Also make sure firmlaunch is disabled. Also if you don't have FBI installed or Devmenu. Search for a guide how to install cause you have multiple ways of installing that on NAND

Last edited by kumikochan, Jan 24, 2016
  5. Francesca

Francesca GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    Got the same problem myself. There are apparently many ways to do it, but no tutorials detailing each step.

6. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0 or 9.2

If you want to boot rxTools as soon as you turn on your 3DS, then you need to set-up Menuhax; and to use Menuhax, you need to be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware.
    Warning: This can brick your 3DS if done incorrectly! Be sure that you follow the instructions carefully!

Requirements:
    • BigBlueMenu installed in sysnand (Section 4 if you don't have Gateway or Ninjhax) OR any other cia installer on Sysnand.
    • A rxTools 3.0 nightly (preferably the one linked in Section 1)
    Let's get started.
    1. See AidanLumina's tweet here and click Files for downgrade/manual update.
    2. Download one of the O3DS 9.2 packs
    3. Picture
      [​IMG]
    4. Once downloaded, open the archive and find the "updates" folder; place it on your SD card. There should be many cia files in that folder.
      • Example: SD:/updates/0004013000008003.cia
    5. Download Sysupdater
    6. Open the archive and put sysUpdater.cia on your SD card
    7. Insert your SD card in your 3DS
    8. Hold L while launching rxTools to get into the rxTools menu. If using rxTools 2.5.2, hold R instead.
    9. Press DPAD RIGHT until you highlight ADVANCED OPTIONS, then press A. Skip this step if using rxTools 2.5.2
    10. Go down to DEVMODE or PASTA MODE and press A
    11. After a few seconds, you should now be in sysnand; firmware spoofing is disabled but cias can still be launched in this mode.
    12. Launch you CIA installer
    13. Install sysUpdater.cia (Destination: SD if using FBI)
    14. Once installed, press HOME to see sysUpdater wrapped as a gift; unwrap it.
    15. Launch sysUpdater
    16. sysUpdater will ask you if you are sure you want to go ahead with the update; choose to accept it.
      • It will also tell you that you shouldn't be in Gateway mode, or have firmware spoofing. Do not worry about this, DEVMODE / PASTA MODE has no firmware spoofing, so sysUpdater will work as intended. Just be absolutely sure you are in DEVMODE / PASTA MODE (line 13), not RXMODE SYSNAND!
    17. Wait for sysUpdater to finish. When it is done, your 3DS will reboot into 9.0 or 9.2 firmware! You can now follow the steps to use Menuhax if you'd like.
    If you can't find the 9.2 pack in AidanLumina's MEGA folder
    1. Click HERE
    2. Click the CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates [Archive] result
    3. Click View Full Version : CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates at the top of the page
    4. Find the thread titled [MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)
    5. Scroll down to the section titled Updates
    6. Download either the 9.2 modified update pack for your region, or a 9.0 or 9.2 Full Update Pack for you region

7. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008

the part i dont understand is how do we launch a CIA installer if we dont have one on our sysNAND cause ive tried install CIA installers and doesnt install?

none show up in my pasta mode.

Last edited by Flame, Jan 24, 2016
  8. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Inject FBI into health and safety

9. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    You need to find a guide that does this:
    1) Get miniPasta to work using any available exploit for firmware 4.x
    2) Once you boot miniPasta (note that you are in sysNAND but this time it's signature patched) run the exploit to boot FBI installer, use that to install sysupdater cia on sysNAND.
    3) Reboot console, do step 1 again that will boot you to miniPasta sysNAND, you should see a new app ie. sysupdater, use it to upgrade to firmware that you have in update folder in console SD card.

Again, I should say these are the rough steps I saw in one of the tutorial. So don't actually take my post as exact procedure, look for the guide that does something like that.

Last edited by Just3DS, Jan 24, 2016
    Flame likes this.
  10. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    i worked out how to install fbi as health and safety.... now im installing the updates.

wish me good luck

edit:

done. on 9.2 like a boss.

Last edited by Flame, Jan 25, 2016
    CrispyYoshi, Just3DS and kumikochan like this.
  11. Francesca

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    Did you manage to find a tutorial that explains how to do this Flame?

12. padawan

padawan GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2003
    Niger
    Hi, I updated my O3DS XL last week from 4.4.0-10E to 9.2.0-20E without OOT/NINJA cartridge.

Two things that I found out after a lot of trial and error:

• Browserhax doesn't work on 4.4 (so I assume it's the same on 4.5), but Spiderhax does. Use the RxTools v2.5.2 mentioned in this guide here in the section 'Section 3 - Launch rxTools for the first time!' and launch it by going to launch.rxtools.net in your 3ds browser. You can then inject the FBI installer into sysNand.
    • For upgrading, make sure that you launch RxTools and then boot into 'DevMode'! RxMode is not safe for running sysinstaller (from what I read).
    If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

13. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    @Xenon Hacks post is what i followed in this thread..

14. Francesca

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    How did you install FBI as health and safety I mean? That's the trickiest part since 4.5 users can't follow that part of the tutorial...

15. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
  16. Francesca

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
  17. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    if you follow that tutorial right you should install FBI in the health and safety... THAN run rxTools in DEVMODE or PASTA MODE so FBI in health and safety works.

so yeah you need to do Decrypt9, its long but worth it in the end.

Francesca likes this.
  18. Francesca

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    Ah sorry, and thanks. Best follow each step from the beginning until the end.

19. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    if stuck just ask :)

20. Francesca

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    I am unable to make any progress in updating from 4.5 to 9.2.

I'm trying to follow this:

Just now I tried to follow section 4a but couldn't proceed much further beyond the first step.

1. On your SD card, rename Launcher.dat back to EmuNAND9.dat
    2. Then rename Decrypt9WIP to Launcher.dat

I had a Launcher.dat on my SD Card, though I'm not sure if at any point in the installation it was previously named EmuNAND9.dat, maybe it was. Anyway, I renamed it as stated.

Then I took Decrypt9WIP.dat (there were two more Decrypt9WIPs in the Decrypt9WIP folder) but didn't copy anything else from the Decrypt9WIP zip/rar (not sure if I have to). Renamed it as stated in this tutorial.

Then I went to the gateway address and it failed to load twice in a row. I went to try to scan the QR Code as a last resort, but when I go into L+R mode, the button marked red on this picture (found online) is missing:

[​IMG]

It's just gone? I have nothing to click on there.

So right now I'm a bit lost as to how I can get an installer to install all those 9.2 package update files that I've already used for another console.

Any idea what to do?