Hacking Upgrade from 4.5 to 9.2

Capitán Retraso

GBATemp's Retard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
A friend of mine is trying to upgrade his 3ds from 4.5 to 9.2, he has got everything he needs (sysupdater, the 9.2 cia files, the boot.3dsx and 3ds folder for hbl...) but the oproblem is that he doesnt manage to access hbl to use sysupdater via browserhax (i dont know if browserhax works below 9.0)
So i want to ask if sysupdater can be launched through the hbl cia on emunand safely or it will brick the console or update/downgrade the emunand only

EDIT: he's got rxtools w/pasta, last months build i think (if this info helps)

Last edited by Capitán Retraso,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A friend of mine is trying to upgrade his 3ds from 4.5 to 9.2, he has got everything he needs (sysupdater, the 9.2 cia files, the boot.3dsx and 3ds folder for hbl...) but the oproblem is that he doesnt manage to access hbl to use sysupdater via browserhax (i dont know if browserhax works below 9.0)
So i want to ask if sysupdater can be launched through the hbl cia on emunand safely or it will brick the console or update/downgrade the emunand only
Load pasta and install it from there.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Does rxtools' pasta mode work or do we need to install pastacfw o its own? we do not have a cubic ninja copy (as i see, it needs cubic ninja to be installed, correct me if im wrong)
I used cubic ninja but use DEVmode and install sysupdater using FBI or Devmenu and do it through that and then set up themehax, homemenu hax and go on from there. Also make sure firmlaunch is disabled. Also if you don't have FBI installed or Devmenu. Search for a guide how to install cause you have multiple ways of installing that on NAND

Last edited by kumikochan,

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0 or 9.2

If you want to boot rxTools as soon as you turn on your 3DS, then you need to set-up Menuhax; and to use Menuhax, you need to be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware.
Warning: This can brick your 3DS if done incorrectly! Be sure that you follow the instructions carefully!

Requirements:
  • BigBlueMenu installed in sysnand (Section 4 if you don't have Gateway or Ninjhax) OR any other cia installer on Sysnand.
  • A rxTools 3.0 nightly (preferably the one linked in Section 1)
Let's get started.
  1. See AidanLumina's tweet here and click Files for downgrade/manual update.
  2. Download one of the O3DS 9.2 packs
  3. Picture
    h535.png
  4. Once downloaded, open the archive and find the "updates" folder; place it on your SD card. There should be many cia files in that folder.
    • Example: SD:/updates/0004013000008003.cia
  5. Download Sysupdater
  6. Open the archive and put sysUpdater.cia on your SD card
  7. Insert your SD card in your 3DS
  8. Hold L while launching rxTools to get into the rxTools menu. If using rxTools 2.5.2, hold R instead.
  9. Press DPAD RIGHT until you highlight ADVANCED OPTIONS, then press A. Skip this step if using rxTools 2.5.2
  10. Go down to DEVMODE or PASTA MODE and press A
  11. After a few seconds, you should now be in sysnand; firmware spoofing is disabled but cias can still be launched in this mode.
  12. Launch you CIA installer
  13. Install sysUpdater.cia (Destination: SD if using FBI)
  14. Once installed, press HOME to see sysUpdater wrapped as a gift; unwrap it.
  15. Launch sysUpdater
  16. sysUpdater will ask you if you are sure you want to go ahead with the update; choose to accept it.
    • It will also tell you that you shouldn't be in Gateway mode, or have firmware spoofing. Do not worry about this, DEVMODE / PASTA MODE has no firmware spoofing, so sysUpdater will work as intended. Just be absolutely sure you are in DEVMODE / PASTA MODE (line 13), not RXMODE SYSNAND!
  17. Wait for sysUpdater to finish. When it is done, your 3DS will reboot into 9.0 or 9.2 firmware! You can now follow the steps to use Menuhax if you'd like.
If you can't find the 9.2 pack in AidanLumina's MEGA folder
  1. Click HERE
  2. Click the CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates [Archive] result
  3. Click View Full Version : CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates at the top of the page
  4. Find the thread titled [MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)
  5. Scroll down to the section titled Updates
  6. Download either the 9.2 modified update pack for your region, or a 9.0 or 9.2 Full Update Pack for you region

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0 or 9.2

If you want to boot rxTools as soon as you turn on your 3DS, then you need to set-up Menuhax; and to use Menuhax, you need to be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware.
Warning: This can brick your 3DS if done incorrectly! Be sure that you follow the instructions carefully!

Requirements:
  • BigBlueMenu installed in sysnand (Section 4 if you don't have Gateway or Ninjhax) OR any other cia installer on Sysnand.
  • A rxTools 3.0 nightly (preferably the one linked in Section 1)
Let's get started.
  1. See AidanLumina's tweet here and click Files for downgrade/manual update.
  2. Download one of the O3DS 9.2 packs
  3. Picture
    h535.png
  4. Once downloaded, open the archive and find the "updates" folder; place it on your SD card. There should be many cia files in that folder.
    • Example: SD:/updates/0004013000008003.cia
  5. Download Sysupdater
  6. Open the archive and put sysUpdater.cia on your SD card
  7. Insert your SD card in your 3DS
  8. Hold L while launching rxTools to get into the rxTools menu. If using rxTools 2.5.2, hold R instead.
  9. Press DPAD RIGHT until you highlight ADVANCED OPTIONS, then press A. Skip this step if using rxTools 2.5.2
  10. Go down to DEVMODE or PASTA MODE and press A
  11. After a few seconds, you should now be in sysnand; firmware spoofing is disabled but cias can still be launched in this mode.
  12. Launch you CIA installer
  13. Install sysUpdater.cia (Destination: SD if using FBI)
  14. Once installed, press HOME to see sysUpdater wrapped as a gift; unwrap it.
  15. Launch sysUpdater
  16. sysUpdater will ask you if you are sure you want to go ahead with the update; choose to accept it.
    • It will also tell you that you shouldn't be in Gateway mode, or have firmware spoofing. Do not worry about this, DEVMODE / PASTA MODE has no firmware spoofing, so sysUpdater will work as intended. Just be absolutely sure you are in DEVMODE / PASTA MODE (line 13), not RXMODE SYSNAND!
  17. Wait for sysUpdater to finish. When it is done, your 3DS will reboot into 9.0 or 9.2 firmware! You can now follow the steps to use Menuhax if you'd like.
If you can't find the 9.2 pack in AidanLumina's MEGA folder
  1. Click HERE
  2. Click the CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates [Archive] result
  3. Click View Full Version : CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates at the top of the page
  4. Find the thread titled [MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)
  5. Scroll down to the section titled Updates
  6. Download either the 9.2 modified update pack for your region, or a 9.0 or 9.2 Full Update Pack for you region

the part i dont understand is how do we launch a CIA installer if we dont have one on our sysNAND cause ive tried install CIA installers and doesnt install?

none show up in my pasta mode.

Last edited by Flame,

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
the part i dont understand is how do we launch a CIA installer if we dont have one on our sysNAND cause ive tried install CIA installers and doesnt install?

none show up in my pasta mode.
You need to find a guide that does this:
1) Get miniPasta to work using any available exploit for firmware 4.x
2) Once you boot miniPasta (note that you are in sysNAND but this time it's signature patched) run the exploit to boot FBI installer, use that to install sysupdater cia on sysNAND.
3) Reboot console, do step 1 again that will boot you to miniPasta sysNAND, you should see a new app ie. sysupdater, use it to upgrade to firmware that you have in update folder in console SD card.

Again, I should say these are the rough steps I saw in one of the tutorial. So don't actually take my post as exact procedure, look for the guide that does something like that.

Last edited by Just3DS,
Reactions: Flame

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
You need to find a guide that does this:
1) Get miniPasta to work using any available exploit for firmware 4.x
2) Once you boot miniPasta (note that you are in sysNAND but this time it's signature patched) run the exploit to boot FBI installer, use that to install sysupdater cia on sysNAND.
3) Reboot console, do step 1 again that will boot you to miniPasta sysNAND, you should see a new app ie. sysupdater, use it to upgrade to firmware that you have in update folder in console SD card.

Again, I should say these are the rough steps I saw in one of the tutorial. So don't actually take my post as exact procedure, look for the guide that does something like that.

i worked out how to install fbi as health and safety.... now im installing the updates.

wish me good luck

edit:

done. on 9.2 like a boss.

Last edited by Flame,

padawan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Niger
but the oproblem is that he doesnt manage to access hbl to use sysupdater via browserhax (i dont know if browserhax works below 9.0)

Hi, I updated my O3DS XL last week from 4.4.0-10E to 9.2.0-20E without OOT/NINJA cartridge.

Two things that I found out after a lot of trial and error:

• Browserhax doesn't work on 4.4 (so I assume it's the same on 4.5), but Spiderhax does. Use the RxTools v2.5.2 mentioned in this guide here in the section 'Section 3 - Launch rxTools for the first time!' and launch it by going to launch.rxtools.net in your 3ds browser. You can then inject the FBI installer into sysNand.
  • For upgrading, make sure that you launch RxTools and then boot into 'DevMode'! RxMode is not safe for running sysinstaller (from what I read).
If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

Francesca

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Let me get this straight... I need to install Decrypt9 to follow the steps in the tutorial you linked. FBI is an installer (I also have BigBlueMenu in my emunand but not in sysnand). I can't install FBI without installing Decrypt9 first.

Since this is not a Catch 22, I must be missing something from the equation; what is it?

if you follow that tutorial right you should install FBI in the health and safety... THAN run rxTools in DEVMODE or PASTA MODE so FBI in health and safety works.

so yeah you need to do Decrypt9, its long but worth it in the end.

Reactions: Francesca

Francesca

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
if you follow that tutorial right you should install FBI in the health and safety... THAN run rxTools in DEVMODE or PASTA MODE so FBI in health and safety works.

so yeah you need to do Decrypt9, its long but worth it in the end.

Ah sorry, and thanks. Best follow each step from the beginning until the end.

Francesca

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
I am unable to make any progress in updating from 4.5 to 9.2.

I'm trying to follow this:

Section 4a - Installing a CIA Installer :mthr:
Only for users without a Gateway card or Homebrew Launcher access

Adapted from this thread (thanks @d0k3 and co.!)
Please visit that thread if you have any issues with this section.
  1. On your SD card, rename Launcher.dat back to EmuNAND9.dat
  2. Then rename Decrypt9WIP to Launcher.dat
  3. In the web browser, go to go.gateway-3ds.com to launch Decrypt9WIP.
    • Alternatively, you can scan this QR code.
  4. Navigate to SysNAND File Options and then Dump Health & Safety. Let the process finish.
  5. Turn off your 3DS.
  6. Go back to your 3DSCFWKIT_V3.00-STABLE folder and open the PC_Apps folder.
  7. Open the UniversalInjectGenerator folder.
  8. Insert your 3DS SD into your PC.
  9. Find the hs.app file on your SD and place it in the Input folder that is inside the Inject Generator folder. There will be a BigBlueMenu.cia already in there.
  10. Run go.bat. If there are no issues, you will find that there are two inject-ready .app files in the Input folder.
  11. To finally inject BigBlueMenu into SysNAND, rename the BigBlueMenu-with-banner.app file to hs.app and place it on your SD, overwriting the one that is already there.
  12. Launch Decrypt9WIP again, and navigate to SysNAND File Options.
  13. Choose health&safety inject to inject the hs.app. Don't worry, it's not as dangerous as you may think.
  14. Now, launch the rxTools menu (hold L during launch), and boot RXMODE SysNAND.
    • You will be booted to what appears to be regular SysNAND.
    • Navigate to the H&S app and it should now be the BigBlueMenu app (Title Manager)!
  15. Launch BigBlueMenu.
  16. Go to the SDMC tab. Basically, this is your SD card it is looking at.
  17. Navigate to the CIAs folder and install/import DevMenu_2x.cia and old3DS.AGB_FIRM.Patch.cia (if this one doesn't let you install, you can use the DevMenu app to install it)
  18. You just installed your first CIAs!

Just now I tried to follow section 4a but couldn't proceed much further beyond the first step.

1. On your SD card, rename Launcher.dat back to EmuNAND9.dat
2. Then rename Decrypt9WIP to Launcher.dat

I had a Launcher.dat on my SD Card, though I'm not sure if at any point in the installation it was previously named EmuNAND9.dat, maybe it was. Anyway, I renamed it as stated.

Then I took Decrypt9WIP.dat (there were two more Decrypt9WIPs in the Decrypt9WIP folder) but didn't copy anything else from the Decrypt9WIP zip/rar (not sure if I have to). Renamed it as stated in this tutorial.

Then I went to the gateway address and it failed to load twice in a row. I went to try to scan the QR Code as a last resort, but when I go into L+R mode, the button marked red on this picture (found online) is missing:

npMdi.png

It's just gone? I have nothing to click on there.

So right now I'm a bit lost as to how I can get an installer to install all those 9.2 package update files that I've already used for another console.

Any idea what to do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2