Updating to Windows 8

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I originally had Windows 8 on this laptop, but I downgraded to Windows 7. I turned off the UEFI boot that was pre-enabled.

I now am going to use the Windows 8 upgrade assistant to upgrade to Windows 8 from my Windows 7 installation.
Will it bring issues installing it if UEFI is not enabled? Does Windows 8 need it to work?

I just want to prevent any issues when upgrading.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Windows 8 allows for a BIOS install. It'll work fine, but you won't get the benefits you get from doing a clean install on UEFI (such as the faster and/or somewhat more secure bootup).

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 8 allows for a BIOS install. It'll work fine, but you won't get the benefits you get from doing a clean install on UEFI (such as the faster and/or somewhat more secure bootup).

Is it possible to turn on UEFI after I install it?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to turn on UEFI after I install it?

No, you cannot enable UEFI after installing Windows 8 as a BIOS install. You need to enable UEFI when you first install it.
On a side note, I would considering waiting so you can install Windows 8.1 since you're probably going to want to do that not long after installing Windows 8 anyway.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you cannot enable UEFI after installing Windows 8 as a BIOS install. You need to enable UEFI when you first install it.
On a side note, I would considering waiting so you can install Windows 8.1 since you're probably going to want to do that not long after installing Windows 8 anyway.

Does UEFI work with Windows 7? I have Windows 7 installed currently with UEFI off, but I plan to upgrade later today to Windows 8, but since its only a key I need to have Windows 7 running to upgrade.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does UEFI work with Windows 7? I have Windows 7 installed currently with UEFI off, but I plan to upgrade later today to Windows 8, but since its only a key I need to have Windows 7 running to upgrade.

It is possible to install Windows 7 as UEFI, but it still requires a reformat and reinstall. If you're going to upgrade to Windows 8, there's no real reason to reinstall Windows 7 before that.

I see why you want to have an operating system running for your upgrade. If that's the method of install you're going to use (online Windows8-Setup.exe method) and you want UEFI, then yes, you need to reformat your drive and reinstall Windows 7 as UEFI before continuing. However, it would make your life much simpler if you got ahold of a Windows 8/8.1 installation disc, reformatted your drive, and installed Windows 8/8.1 as UEFI with your key that you already have.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible to install Windows 7 as UEFI, but it still requires a reformat and reinstall. If you're going to upgrade to Windows 8, there's no real reason to reinstall Windows 7 before that.

I see why you want to have an operating system running for your upgrade. If that's the method of install you're going to use (online Windows8-Setup.exe method) and you want UEFI, then yes, you need to reformat your drive and reinstall Windows 7 as UEFI before continuing. However, it would make your life much simpler if you got ahold of a Windows 8/8.1 installation disc, reformatted your drive, and installed Windows 8/8.1 as UEFI with your key that you already have.

I think I'll be fine without the UEFI boot, but another question is when windows 8.1 comes out will I get a free upgrade from my installation of Windows 8?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'll be fine without the UEFI boot, but another question is when windows 8.1 comes out will I get a free upgrade from my installation of Windows 8?

Yes, Windows 8.1 will be a free upgrade to Windows 8 when it is officially released in less than six weeks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: