Updating to Windows 8

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by 3bbb7, Sep 8, 2013.

1. 3bbb7
    OP

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    I originally had Windows 8 on this laptop, but I downgraded to Windows 7. I turned off the UEFI boot that was pre-enabled.

I now am going to use the Windows 8 upgrade assistant to upgrade to Windows 8 from my Windows 7 installation.
    Will it bring issues installing it if UEFI is not enabled? Does Windows 8 need it to work?

I just want to prevent any issues when upgrading.

2. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    Windows 8 allows for a BIOS install. It'll work fine, but you won't get the benefits you get from doing a clean install on UEFI (such as the faster and/or somewhat more secure bootup).

3. 3bbb7
    OP

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    Is it possible to turn on UEFI after I install it?

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    No, you cannot enable UEFI after installing Windows 8 as a BIOS install. You need to enable UEFI when you first install it.
    On a side note, I would considering waiting so you can install Windows 8.1 since you're probably going to want to do that not long after installing Windows 8 anyway.

5. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Also, you'll have to reformat your drive if you switch from BIOS to UEFI.

6. 3bbb7
    OP

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    Does UEFI work with Windows 7? I have Windows 7 installed currently with UEFI off, but I plan to upgrade later today to Windows 8, but since its only a key I need to have Windows 7 running to upgrade.

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It is possible to install Windows 7 as UEFI, but it still requires a reformat and reinstall. If you're going to upgrade to Windows 8, there's no real reason to reinstall Windows 7 before that.

I see why you want to have an operating system running for your upgrade. If that's the method of install you're going to use (online Windows8-Setup.exe method) and you want UEFI, then yes, you need to reformat your drive and reinstall Windows 7 as UEFI before continuing. However, it would make your life much simpler if you got ahold of a Windows 8/8.1 installation disc, reformatted your drive, and installed Windows 8/8.1 as UEFI with your key that you already have.

8. 3bbb7
    OP

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    I think I'll be fine without the UEFI boot, but another question is when windows 8.1 comes out will I get a free upgrade from my installation of Windows 8?

9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Yes, Windows 8.1 will be a free upgrade to Windows 8 when it is officially released in less than six weeks.

10. 3bbb7
    OP

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    Thanks, I'll go upgrade now

11. 3bbb7
    OP

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    Just finished installation and everythings all set up, thanks for the help everryone