Updating to 4.5

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by p2sboi, May 5, 2014.

1. p2sboi
    OP

p2sboi Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2014
    United States
    I need to update from 2.2.0 to 4.5. Is there any way to do this without a retail game? I was wondering if demo games from the store would work? I looked at the list with the games and their forced firmware updates. Would it be possible to download a demo game and put it onto a sd card and update thru that?

2. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    And how are you going to access eshop without the latest firmware/emunand?

Schizoanalysis likes this.
  3. MGS1980

MGS1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 27, 2014
    United States
    To get to the eShop, you would have to fully update your system to 7.1 which would pretty much negate what you were trying to accomplish.

Edit: Ninja'ed

4. bartimeaus91

bartimeaus91 Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.

Banned
    Apr 4, 2014
    United States
    Question 1
    Question 2

Question 3

Unfortunately, even though 3ds roms are "free", you still have to put up an initial investment into getting it running. Primarily the cost of 4.5 update + 3ds + GW/MT

5. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Buy a used cartridge, then sell it again to recoup your investment. That was my plan, tho it's gotten delayed halfway as I'm enjoying Luigi's Mansion and don't want to lose my save progress.

6. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Looks like you're in the US. What I did was sign up for a 30 day free trial at Gamefly, rented a game that had the 4.5 update (found which ones they were by checking Pong20302000's http://3ds.essh.co/ website), updated my 3DS to 4.5, returned the games I'd rented before the trial expired and ended up with a 3DS updated to 4.5. Didn't need to spend a dime.

zhdarkstar and Abcdfv like this.
  7. Unjustly

Unjustly Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2014
    Netherlands
    You could also use gateway 3ds 1.2 and download a 4.5 update game like luigi's mansion 2 which will prompt the 4.5 update, but this is only possible prior to updating the FPGA of the red gateway card.

8. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    He can't do that because he is using 2.2 (on which gateway wouldn't work).