Hacking Updating to 11.3 without A9LH

Sega dude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 2DS with a 9.0.0-20U Sysnand and a 11.2.0-35U Emunand. I am using Luma3DS CFW. I do NOT have A9LH installed, nor do I plan to install it. I read that it's impossible to update to 11.3 if you don't have A9LH. I have also read that 11.3 works fine if you use the latest Luma3DS. My question is, can I safely update my emunand to 11.3.0-36U if I update to the latest Luma3DS without A9LH? I am currently running Luma3DS v6.3.1. Also, does latest Luma3DS mean the current release on Github (v6.6) or the latest Luma3DS nightly?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 2DS with a 9.0.0-20U Sysnand and a 11.2.0-35U Emunand. I am using Luma3DS CFW. I do NOT have A9LH installed, nor do I plan to install it. I read that it's impossible to update to 11.3 if you don't have A9LH. I have also read that 11.3 works fine if you use the latest Luma3DS. My question is, can I safely update my emunand to 11.3.0-36U if I update to the latest Luma3DS without A9LH? I am currently running Luma3DS v6.3.1. Also, does latest Luma3DS mean the current release on Github (v6.6) or the latest Luma3DS nightly?
Just make a backup of your emunand, and update it to 11.3. If it bricks emunand, just restore your old one.

btw, why don't you want to install a9lh? It's way safer than it used to be. The latest luma means 6.6.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So you don't plan on installing A9LH that would enable you to get rid of an emuNAND that is nothing but a waste of space, as having A9LH provides all of the functionality an emuNAND does. That is to say, if your NAND is bricked it doesn't matter because with A9LH you can load payloads before anything else boots so even in the case of a brick, you can still recover your system.

And your reason for this madness is ..?

Sega dude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be honest, I don't want to install A9LH because it requires downloading things via torrent. I don't feel comfortable doing anything with torrents.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be honest, I don't want to install A9LH because it requires downloading things via torrent. I don't feel comfortable doing anything with torrents.
You can trust those torrents. Don't worry.

The only torrents you can't trust are for popular programs/media.

Get tixati to torrent the files, and you can delete it afterwards.
Edit::ninja:

Reactions: Jakic007 and Ricken

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Would you mind if I asked why? Torrents, by and large, are actually quite a bit safer than downloading files from most file hosting sites (have you ever downloaded anything linked to on any iso site?), and those linked to in the guide are amongst the safest you'll get. I suggest you get over your irrational fear of torrents and install A9LH.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Torrents are completely legal and safe. They are also the best way to download large files with less errors.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Would you mind if I asked why? Torrents, by and large, are actually quite a bit safer than downloading files from most file hosting sites (have you ever downloaded anything linked to on any iso site?), and those linked to in the guide are amongst the safest you'll get. I suggest you get over your irrational fear of torrents and install A9LH.

Wouldn't be the first guy to turn out to be afraid of torrents because they think that by using a torrent client you're automatically partaking in illegal activities because sharing = illegal. And while that may be true it will only apply if you've downloaded something illegal to share.. Which in this case OP would not be doing.

Although somehow this scenario seems unlikely given on the type of forum we are. While it's true that not everyone use CFW for piracy, if the OP does use CFW to play downloaded games then that can't be his worry so .. I'm even more confused as to what his actual reasoning is. Nonetheless, he doesn't have to use torrent client if he doesn't want to thanks to Quantumcat's AGFD which was linked above.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Torrents are completely legal and safe. They are also the best way to download large files with less errors.
um..yes, legal.

Those ctr transfers totally don't contain full nand images including the nintendo 3ds fw.

:glare:

P.S. they're not legal.

Sega dude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's mostly because I'm paranoid. I'm aware that there are legal torrents and that they can be used for legal things. I don't use CFW for piracy, my 2DS is hacked for homebrew. I only play games I legally own, mostly on cartridge. I don't use emulators either.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's mostly because I'm paranoid. I'm aware that there are legal torrents and that they can be used for legal things. I don't use CFW for piracy, my 2DS is hacked for homebrew. I only play games I legally own, mostly on cartridge. I don't use emulators either.
The companies only go after people who torrent popular illegal stuff.

And they usually give you a lot of notices before trying to go after you in court.

You have nothing to worry about with these torrent files.

a9lh will give you brick protection - so that's why I recommend it.

SolarKnight777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't want to encourage you to keep using emunand, but in all honesty, I haven't taken out the time to install A9LH on the rest of my family's systems. Only my two New 3ds have A9LH.

Emunand works on 11.3 without A9LH. Please, just make sure you are using Emunand with the latest Luma Version (6.6 at the moment) when you update; I don't use the nightlies. I updated to 11.3 both an:
  • Original 3ds with Emunand (A9LH not installed) to 11.3 without any problems
  • 2ds with Emunand (A9LH not installed) updated correctly but blackscreened after booting with themehax. I then updated SD card contents to latest Luma 6.6 and now it boots without any problems.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
um..yes, legal.

Those ctr transfers totally don't contain full nand images including the nintendo 3ds fw.

:glare:

P.S. they're not legal.
I didn't say those torrents are legal

Reactions: x65943

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

Yes but downloading a torrent client and turning it on is not illegal and can not be illegal. Unless you add a torrent to download (that contains illegal files), which you will then subsequently be sharing while you download .. Then and only then it will be illegal. Now as far as that goes, what they said above is actually true .. the ctr transfer images are not legal. But just think how many people have CFW'd their console and how many of them have received a lawsuit from Nintendo? Yeah, no one.

Buuuuut you're paranoid so you probably still won't do it.. Hence, look above for the app Quantumcat made. You can acquire all the files you need for A9LH+Luma without ever using a torrent client. Those ctr transfer images won't be any more legal but it'll be "untraceable" if that's what you worry about.

Reactions: x65943

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I didn't say those torrents are legal
Well you did say "torrents are legal", which suggests all torrents are legal. Maybe what you meant to say is that it isn't illegal to use torrents per se, but the files in the guide are actually technically illegal which is why they are distributed through torrents in the first place.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you did say "torrents are legal", which suggests all torrents are legal. Maybe what you meant to say is that it isn't illegal to use torrents per se, but the files in the guide are actually technically illegal which is why they are distributed through torrents in the first place.
If you want to get real technical, all torrents techincally are legal. It's only the content grabbed from the P2P network that can actually be illegal, but the torrent file itself technically isn't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: